PT35 fuel tank leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

racejudge

Looking at a PT35 and the starboard fuel tank is leaking. Very tight area beside the twin Perkins. Has anyone came up with a good solution to solving this problem?

We talked about that actually. I might use an inspection camera to look in the tank and see if it’s something obvious. Best idea so far is cutting a hole on the outside of the boat and pulling the tank out of the side.

Don't forget to check the tops of the tanks also..
Be sure the boat is priced accordingly.

I did this job on my single engine boat when I bought it. Hindsight be 20-20 I wish I had the time to pull/move the engine to clean up and paint the bilge and engine room. I cut my tanks into pieces and replaced with smaller ones.

Last edited:
The best plan is to replace the tank. If you already own the boat then there is nothing to lose by attempting a repair.

If you are not the owner yet I would get a quote to replace the tank and take that amount off the purchase price. I wouldn’t accept a deal where the tank was repaired or replaced with a different type of tank. The repair may fail and then you would be stuck with the replacement cost. A replacement with a lesser tank system would affect the resale value of the boat.

We talked about that actually. I might use an inspection camera to look in the tank and see if it’s something obvious. Best idea so far is cutting a hole on the outside of the boat and pulling the tank out of the side.
More "last resort" than "best idea", repairing the hull to standard is the issue.

Looking at a PT35 and the starboard fuel tank is leaking. Very tight area beside the twin Perkins. Has anyone came up with a good solution to solving this problem?

No “good” solutions to be had. RUN, Forrest, run!

We kicked around the idea of mounting a new tank in the cabin against a wall then covering it with cabinets. I would only loose about 12 gallons of capacity. But having diesel in the living area and up high is not the best resolution.

I successfully repaired my 150 gallon port side tank two years ago. Was able to cut a hole and used a 12" Seabuilt access plate once the repair was completed. Large and accurate round holes can easily be cut with a Malco HC1 available from any HVAC supply. The HC2 will cut holes up to 20". After mopping out the interior, I used MEK to thoroughly remove all residue. I used KREEM fuel tank liner, but there are other brands such as Red-Kote and Northern. Proper ventilation is key. Pressure tested @2 psi for 2 days just to be sure.

Daniel

'89 43' Tradewinds MY

fuel tank repair

JB Weld makes 2 products designed to repair fuel tanks from the outside. I have used them both, successfully. Bob

The vessel has a serious flaw. There may be others lurking like the tank on the other side. There are good boats out there thus maybe best to keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom