Fuel tank pickups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
I have a 1977 Marine Trader with two 200 Gal steel tanks. Starboard tank may need a pickup replacement.has anyone done this? The reason i ask is that all the fixtures and existing
pickups are all welded to the tanks. Any advise would be appreciated

I have a 1977 Marine Trader with two 200 Gal steel tanks. Starboard tank may need a pickup replacement.has anyone done this? The reason i ask is that all the fixtures and existing
pickups are all welded to the tanks. Any advise would be appreciated

I recently did the equivalent on an aluminum tank. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion of a pick up. But of course it may be the pick up it may be a blockage or in my case it was a combination of things I discovered once I got inside. Sea Built has great access panels they sell that can be put in the side of the tank. See them here

https://www.seabuilt.com/

If it really is welded then You may have to gain access and just assess what's going on and how the tube is attached from the inside. But double check, usually the pick up can unscrew from the fitting. If your lucky its stiff plastic but flexible.

Obviously every scenario is different but I did make a video covering how I did my assessment and repairs. Including parts used.

https://youtu.be/Y-dXjrmaW9Q?si=037fYQh_HxY0Xwl4

May just be easier to add a new one.

Blow some compressed air through it first? Can’t hurt.

When I had a fuel pickup line issue I fixed it this way.

#1) I have an electronic fuel pump (those $60 ones from the auto parts place.
#2) I turned it around so it was running in reverse.
#3) I then took a can of the liquid SeaFoam and ran it backwards into the tank.

Upper left corner green pump:
BattsFuelRacorOverflow.jpg

Air would work too however I opted for SeaFoam as I was at anchor and without air. You might consider (if you have an auxilary pump) this method to clear out the pickup point. The standard "polish your fuel" routine follows...

I did add the fuel pump inline (between tank and my Racor) so that I could use the pump to prime my engine. I don't like messing with my injectors. That's a not-fun job. The electronic pump solves that. It also allows me to easily polish my fuel one tank at a time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom