Trawler Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twell

I live in Massachusetts and I am having a hard time finding a cover for my 1981 30 ft Taiwan Hwu Trawler. Any suggestions.

Winter cover? If so likely have to have custom made. Our was done by Tidewater Canvas in NJ

This was mine. :)

Attachments

• CALYPSO home.jpg
    CALYPSO home.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 39
Look good but I was thinking a winter cover. Great to have and beats shrink wrap

Yes winter cover. I figured I would have to have it custom made but have not been able to find anyone to do it here in massachusetts

Look at Kinder Industries in Bristol RI. I know they make covers.

Get a commercial walking foot sewing machine and have at it. A winter storage cover would be a good project to learn on since it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Is having a boat covered in MA a really good idea? I'm buying a 36 GB that's in Plymouth but most likely going to have to stay on the hard until the trip can be made in the spring. As a side note - looking at a truck/trailer but not confident she'll pass the height restriction.

I have always covered outside stored boats on the Great Lakes just to keep the buildup of ice and hopefully moisture that can get into crevices and freeze causing damage. I was unable to find an affordable cover for current boat and shrink wrap seemed to a lot to pay each year. I bought two semi truck lumber tarps and had them sewed side by side creating one 26’ by 48’ tarp with d rings and webbed strapping every couple of feet. I’m on year five and it’s holding up well. The down side is that the tarp weighs 240 lbs.

Attachments

• 3F9882D9-CA10-436C-9157-54901EBEBB36.jpg
    3F9882D9-CA10-436C-9157-54901EBEBB36.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 68A6C2C0-FAC0-443F-AAD4-5E185C30A0CA.jpg
    68A6C2C0-FAC0-443F-AAD4-5E185C30A0CA.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 23
Is having a boat covered in MA a really good idea?

Yes. As Kip said, it's the freeze/thaw cycles that'll do damage, if water is allowed to get into any corners, cracks and things like stanchion bases and windows.

I've tried a lot of methods, from professional shrink-wrapping to a PVC frame. I've pretty much settled on a wooden frame and a 30x50 tarp. I use the next step up from the "blue" tarps; two sided and a bit more rugged, but not so heavy I can't manage it alone.

The key is to make it drum-tight. If the wind can get under it, the game is over. Also, the rain and snow has to slide off. If it's allowed to puddle up anywhere on the cover, that spot will sag and become a pool, which will eventually take in more tarp and damage the frame.

I have always covered outside stored boats on the Great Lakes just to keep the buildup of ice and hopefully moisture that can get into crevices and freeze causing damage. I was unable to find an affordable cover for current boat and shrink wrap seemed to a lot to pay each year. I bought two semi truck lumber tarps and had them sewed side by side creating one 26’ by 48’ tarp with d rings and webbed strapping every couple of feet. I’m on year five and it’s holding up well. The down side is that the tarp weighs 240 lbs.

I can’t imagine trying to get a 240 pound cover over the boat. That must be a job.

I have a Lohmann cover. Expensive but it withstood last weeks wind storm here in Vancouver BC. https://www.boatcovers.ca/

I looked at a >60 foot boat with a Lohmann cover, seems like good stuff. For the OP, they make the larger ones in more than one piece connected by zippers and buckles for easier installation and removal. The one I saw came in three pieces. If you get one made closer to you, you should explore that option even for a 30' trawler. I wish the cover for my smallish camping trailer was a two piece :blush:

Last edited:
I built a wooden frame and covered it with a 50 x 30 foot heavy duty tarp on a 34 Albin.
Same issue as mentioned. If I left it uncovered by Lake Ontario where there is an equal amount of freezing and thawing, then water gets into the cracks, thaws and freezes again. I have learned the secret to not having it blow itself to shreds is to throw 6 or 7 lines over the top from beam to beam and tighten them down. That cuts down on the area the wind can have on any one section. Also lots of tie-downs and hang jugs 3/4 filled with water on each of the ties. (Takes away the slack left in the tarp. I have been doing this for years and tarps last on average 5 seasons. Cost is approx. $200. ea. or $40.00 per year. I have all the frame pieces marked so after the 1st year it is easily assembled. Takes the better part of a day but in the end I am paying myself.

Attachments

• 20211020_122539.jpg
    20211020_122539.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211020_170203.jpg
    20211020_170203.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20211020_171449399_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20211020_171449399_PORTRAIT.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for all the ideas. I have done the pvc piping and wooden framing but was hoping to have a cover made somewhere if at all possible.

You might want to shrink wrap it this year and begin your boat cover odyssey earlier next year. Be sure to get a zipper door big enough for you and place it in a good location.

I use shipshape canvas out of Duluth. They made a custom cover for my Tartan 30 before I sold it. After 6 years it looked brand new. They just designed one for my Camano 31, and its supposed to arrive this week. $3K. IMO, totally worth it. Pays for itself in 4 years here in MD. Looks classy too. Always got compliments. Multiple sections with zippers. They know their stuff.

Cover

Fisher Canvas, Burlington NJ. They have patterns for many boats or can work from a picture. Have had 3 of their covers, good workmanship and can last 10-12 years or more

Our cover was made by Tidewater Canvas in NJ.

I built a frame to support this but the set up is pretty easy. Have survived heavy snow and 60mph winds. Even works when boat is upside down

Attachments

• 928C5677-A8B6-4D1D-9AD0-52A4A63ECA8D.jpg
    928C5677-A8B6-4D1D-9AD0-52A4A63ECA8D.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 13
Today I just put on my custom cover from ShipShape Canvas. Came out great. I measured the pattern and designed the very simple to build frame ! Peace of mind for the winter !!! They are excellent to deal with !!

Attachments

• 2D03FBD9-77E1-4F4C-AE45-8D5D59196541.jpg
    2D03FBD9-77E1-4F4C-AE45-8D5D59196541.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 11
Side note … it is a 2 piece with a zipper at midships

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom