Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/)
-   -   Primer for running gear (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/primer-running-gear-46977.html)

SeaBreeze 10-08-2019 09:42 AM

Primer for running gear

After reading several first hand accounts, I have decided to try and coat my prop, shaft, and rudder with Rustoleum bright galvanizing spray paint to help fight slime and barnacle growth. After I clean everything down to bare brass and stainless, what spray primer should I use? Would a self etching primer damage the metals?

DavidM 10-08-2019 10:46 AM

I tried that. Didn't work.

David

SeaBreeze 10-08-2019 11:12 AM

David - didn't stick or didn't repel slime and barnacles?

DavidM 10-08-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaBreeze (Post 809242)
David - didn't stick or didn't repel slime and barnacles?

Both maybe, but after a year of use, maybe 75 hours, it was gone. If it would have lasted 2-3 years, my typical interval between bottom jobs, I would have done it again. But alas.....

David

SeaBreeze 10-08-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmarchand (Post 809257)
Both maybe, but after a year of use, maybe 75 hours, it was gone. If it would have lasted 2-3 years, my typical interval between bottom jobs, I would have done it again. But alas.....

David

Unfortunately I'm on an annual haul and painting cycle due to the unbelievable marine growth here.... and that is with a monthly diver cleaning the bottom. So maybe it is worth it for me.

Russell Clifton 10-08-2019 01:27 PM

I used it two years ago, had a diver clean the bottom and running gear this past March. Pulled the boat last month and there were very few barnacles on the shafts and props. Did not use any undercoating, just wiped down with acetone before spraying. I reapplied again this year.

O C Diver 10-08-2019 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've used both Rustoleum zinc primer and Barnacle buster over clean metal with OK results. Retention was good; effect lasted less than a year, better than nothing. This fall I switched to Pacifica Plus by Interlux. It's been popular for several seasons with the commercial Waterman in the boatyard I use, for their running gear and crabpot cages (protects the propeller from pot lines). Many still use Propspeed on the propeller. For me, the Propspeed was ok on the propeller but worthless on the skeg and cutlass bearing shaft tube (I don't go fast enough for it to work).

My bottom was looking kind of ghetto when I splashed yesterday. Only the bottom scrubber will see it now though.

Attachment 95065

Ted

Nomad Willy 10-08-2019 06:35 PM

I’ve used Petit BB and it works .... a little.
I just made a post about using ArmorAll. It works better than BB. Find my post and paste it here please.
Soon I’ll haul out and have more input too.

lipets 10-08-2019 07:00 PM

end of July wire brushed all running gear & trim tabs
6 coats of rustolium, no primer

Happen to looking at tabs today looks clean, very satisfied $7 a can 4 cans

syjos 10-08-2019 07:01 PM

Wash the metal with bleach, sand, wipe with paint thinner and spray the cold galvanising on.

Lasts about a year.

Gordon J 10-08-2019 08:41 PM

Paint worked best for me

Two years ago I performed a test on the running gear of my twin engine Ocean Alexander 456. On one propeller shaft I used interlux 2000E primer covered with non-ablative bottom paint. On the other prop shaft I used only non-ablative paint, no primer. On the propellers I used zinc over primer, again 2000E. On the other propeller I used just zinc, no primer.

The best results by a long shot was the propeller shaft that was primed and covered with non-ablative paint.

Gordon