Windlass Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GBNI

Veteran Member
I have GB42 (1998) with Lofrans Tigress windlass. I want to locate the Lofrans control box.
Any ideas of what to look for and where? Thanks

It was probably owner or dealer installed, so it could be most anywhere. Probably close to the windlass though, in the chain locker or forward cabin. Follow the wires.

We have a different windlass but it has a good size metal box under the vee berth. The heavy duty power cables run in and out of it. Just follow the cables from the windlass back.

Our 1993 GB42 has them located in the chain locker below.

Thanks, I am visiting boat again tomorrow so will have a look. I was expecting to find a Lofrans black control box, is this correct?

Thanks, I am visiting boat again tomorrow so will have a look. I was expecting to find a Lofrans black control box, is this correct?

Don’t know what color the box will be but just follow the big power cables and you should find it.

It is probably under the forward berth at the very forward end (on the fwd bulkhead which forms the aft wall of the chain locker).

At least that is where mine is.

PS - I am thinking of relocating mine to be higher up the same bulkhead, but above the berth (just under the deckhead). I like this for easier access and a drier location. Also, the hole through the bulkhead for the cables from the solenoid to the winch would then be well above the chain pile. At present, the hole is buried under the chain and the cabling is exposed to the chain.

Last edited:
That's where our's is too. Below the forward berth along side the bow thruster motor.

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpg
    IMG_6275.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
So this is the solenoid I have.
Has anyone fitted a wireless remote to one of these?

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom