Water Inlet pressure regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
I’m thinking about hooking up the city water to my boat. The filler inlet is a Shurflo 163-020. I would like to replace it just due to its age.
It looks like online that this Shurflo part is rated for a maximum of 65 PSI.
Seems kinda of high. My old water well at 45 PSI was plenty for household use.
I’m concerned about the older existing plumbing on my boat. I’m a liveaboard and I understand the downsides of a plumbing failure. I imagine a lot of the advice will be don’t do it and or replace all the plumbing.
Is 65 psi too high? Jabsco sells a similar product with 45 PSI but it has a smaller footprint than the Shurflo. O
Thanks

Attachments

• D5B80F0B-DA3E-484C-B28F-1C01782CEEAD.jpeg
    D5B80F0B-DA3E-484C-B28F-1C01782CEEAD.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 121
More great ideas. Thanks to all. I didn’t know these things existed.

Bones,
To give something else to consider. On other topics here, many state they do not want the risk of a water leak due to being continuously connected to shore water. If you leave the boat and a leak were to develop (admittedly reduced risk with a properly functioning pressure reducing valve), it could make a mess at the least, and under the wrong circumstances maybe even sink the boat (bilge pumps either not functioning or inadequate, etc.). Plus using and refilling the tanks ensures a continuous "cylcing" of the water there, ensuring it does not "grow" things. :)
Just something else to consider.

Years ago, I had a gallon counter/shutoff. You could set it to 50, 100, 200 gallons, etc. It was meant for lawn watering. To shut off flow after set gallons was reached. Occasionally, it'd click off at an inconvenient time. But I got in the habit of resetting it daily. Not sure if they are still available.

It would be nice to not have pump noise every time I opened a faucet. I don't run water now at night as the pump will wake the wife up. Also nice to not have to fill the tank weekly.

Stillllll.... Don't think I could relax when any plumbing failure is going straight into the bilge.
My last boat had an old school fire alarm bell connected to the high water float switch. I would need something like that in a well attended marina before I would consider it.

I vave seen them...and have seen them online....but no wheres near as common as timers.

They dont like freezing temps at all.

You can always turn off the dock water when you are away from the boat. And IMO every boat should have high water alarms in each bilge. Likewise adequate bilge pump capacity with back up. If a plumbing system can't handle regulated water pressure, as 45 psi or so, then it needs maintenance; it's no different than maintaining your shore power system.

I replaced the copper system with PEX. It was one of the easier projects I did. I chose 1/2”. I may add shore water inlet. Great ideas to lower pressure but I’m good to 65 lbs. If PEX is installed correctly it rarely leaks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom