Tips to remove 5200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
I had to take apart a piece off fiberglass/gel coat.
But a lot is still left behind.

the area is about a sq foot, I used a sharp wood chisel to get the bulk of it but don't want to damage the gel coat.

Was thinking about a heat gun but worried again about the get coat.

Any ideas

There is a product called Debond that is for removing 5200. I have never used it so I can’t say if it works or not. Be careful with heat as the gel coat can burn but judicious use of heat may help.

I'm in the same boat as Comodave. I have a can of Debond Marine on board for that purpose but have yet to use it.
18967-albums1148-picture7744.jpg

I would try some of the Debond, let it soak and then use a plastic putty knife and try to scrape it off. The plastic putty knife should not scratch the gel coat. But you will likely end up buffing and compounding the gel coat when you are done.

And whatever solvent or other cleaning agent you use, make SURE it's completely GONE if you use any heat. You don't want to have any remaining catching fire. And make sure you're not using it in an enclosed space, both from health and fire risk standpoints.

I've scraped as much caulk (not 5200) as I could on a repair / rebed and followed it with wet sanding w very fine wet/dry (600-800 grit) followed by compounding.
I was surprised how much caulk came off what looked like scraped clean.
May not be as fast as scraping but low risk of damage was a plus.

I have used debond many times and it works. Use a plastic tool and cleanup with denatured alcohol. Wear gloves!

Heat and a razor blade also works well. I honestly can't think of anything that requires a 'permanent' bond. If it can be installed, it may need to be replaced at some point.

I used 5200 to attach the supports for my swim platform extension and for depth sounder transducers. But that is all.

Heat and a razor blade also works well. I honestly can't think of anything that requires a 'permanent' bond. If it can be installed, it may need to be replaced at some point.

Amen.

Really now, where on a boat do you really need to use 5200? The marine technical rep for 3M docks his boat 3 slips away from me, and when asked that question he hesitated too long before answering with a non-committal answer. Basically, he said it was for those customers that wanted it.

So, below the waterline 200, and Sikaflex 291 anywhere else. Actually, I'm using 4000 often now and so far- so good, and you can get it off.

To help get bedding/caulk residue off, I’ve used Foshio plastic razor blades. I tried several different manufacturers before I found these. You won’t scratch or hurt the fiberglass and they are extremely hard. Good luck.

Attachments

• 76721764-348C-4698-BA7B-048ECAFE9B67.jpg
    76721764-348C-4698-BA7B-048ECAFE9B67.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Amen.

Really now, where on a boat do you really need to use 5200? The marine technical rep for 3M docks his boat 3 slips away from me, and when asked that question he hesitated too long before answering with a non-committal answer. Basically, he said it was for those customers that wanted it.

So, below the waterline 200, and Sikaflex 291 anywhere else. Actually, I'm using 4000 often now and so far- so good, and you can get it off.

Anywhere that you want the bond to be permanent. It should be though of as an adhesive, not a sealant. That's the purpose of the stuff. Use it only in places that you never (or should never) have to get it apart again. I have a seam in my hull around the swim platform under the rub rail. It started to leak. I took off the rub rail, cleaned out the old sealant and filled it with 5200. That's an appropriate use of it imo. I use 4000 as a sealant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom