the freshwater intake on Monk 2001 36'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Funky Monkey

We are new to the boat. I may be missing the obvious but is my 2001 36' Monk Trwler equipped with a city water intake? Not the fill cap in the aft. I am talking about an intake that pressurizes the boat from shore without using the onboard pump.

While I am not a proponent of using them, look around the the outside of the boat for a garden hose fitting. If there is a fitting then that would be it. The boat may or may not have one. The problem with them is that leaving the boat hooked up to shore water can blow a hose off inside the boat and flood the boat. I had a hose blow off in our RV and leak hundreds of gallons of water because we were not in the RV at the time. Good news was that the water just ran out onto the ground. Not the case in a boat. It has the potential of over running the bilge pumps.

Agree with Commodave. My boat has one but it’s not connected to the fresh H2O system for some reason! If you find yours and intend to use it. Confirm how it’s connected to your fresh H2O system and definitely use a pressure reducer (40 psi max) between dock supply and boat inlet.

Just remember that regardless of type or how cheap or expensive, there are only 2 kinds of pressure reducer valves: those that have failed and those that will. So NEVER leave the boat or turn in for the night with shore water on...better yet, disconnect it from the boat. You need to be aboard and awake to hear the FIRST sound of gushing water. A sailboat owner I knew had to get up in the middle of the night--probly due to the sound of running water-- and stepped out of his berth into calf deep water.

--Peggie

Just remember that regardless of type or how cheap or expensive, there are only 2 kinds of pressure reducer valves: those that have failed and those that will. So NEVER leave the boat or turn in for the night with shore water on...better yet, disconnect it from the boat. You need to be aboard and awake to hear the FIRST sound of gushing water. A sailboat owner I knew had to get up in the middle of the night--probly due to the sound of running water-- and stepped out of his berth into calf deep water.

--Peggie
Good Advice

We have an older Monk and don’t have the direct hook up. I don’t think it’s standard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom