Tender towing problem VivieRae II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Knowing nothing of the boat that rescued the tender. They took it to Thursday Island, perhaps continuing on their own way. I`d hope for no salvage claim except for the obvious, extra fuel to tow, diversion costs, etc. Be surprising if the owner and/or the insurers didn`t approach the rescuer boat with a "material" thank you.
Sometimes here it`s "no thanks, you do the same for someone else someday"

Knowing nothing of the boat that rescued the tender. They took it to Thursday Island, perhaps continuing on their own way. I`d hope for no salvage claim except for the obvious, extra fuel to tow, diversion costs, etc. Be surprising if the owner and/or the insurers didn`t approach the rescuer boat with a "material" thank you.
Sometimes here it`s "no thanks, you do the same for someone else someday"

All that would be the civilized thing to do, and I hope it's what happens.

I have personally dove a sailboat offshore to remove a wrapped sheet. It was a very difficult task as the line was seized so tight is had sort of melted together. Ended up cutting it loose with a hacksaw. We now carry those wicked sharp serrated knives Fisheries carries for that and the purpose of cutting non wire embedded hoses.

As a fairly experienced wreck and rescue diver I cannot imagine diving under the platform of a pitching motor yacht in a large seaway and surviving unscathed.

Also no one seemed to make much of the fact the Nordhavn was mentioned as "Anchored" and as such sh then wasn't really "abandoned" ?

HOLLYWOOD

Yes, the "securely anchored" comment in post #87 is puzzling to me as well. It could well be BS. If anchored then I would have thought someone ought to have stayed aboard. If no volunteers, then the Captain.

If the Australian Navy went out of their way to collect the crew just because they were feeling queasy/seasick then the owner deserves an invoice. Its one thing to rescue people if their life is in danger. An N96 that is "securely anchored" may well be uncomfortable, but lives in danger seems unlikely.

Winds abate, and seas settle in a few days. They ought to have known the weather forecast, and they choose to start a transit with that forecast. I don't have it, but likely it was "strong winds for a few days" or similar. Whatever the forecast was the Captain decided the N96 could handle it. He was probably right. If "securely anchored" then bow is into the wind and waves and it would also be no problem for the vessel. But then, it seems, ignore the forecast - "get me outa here, I ain't feelin' so good" and I don't want to wait a couple of days for it to become safe to dive. The Captain has some explaining to do, and given taxpayer $$$ were involved in the crew rescue the full story needs to be made public.

Last edited:
Dinghy painter around the prop is not an uncommon hazard. I have personally rescued two mariners in exactly that distress.

The first was a Bayfield 29, a decently well built sailboat. The rope around the prop was just a little larger diameter than the space between the prop and the shaft's exit through the deadwood space. That wrap pulled the engine back past the end of available travel in the engine mounts, bending all four mounts and seriously impeding getting going again after the line was removed.

The second was a GB 42 with the rope around both props and shafts. Luckily, the engines stalled before pulling the shafts together. The rope was heavy enough that it was unlikely to have broken without doing serious damage, had the engines not stalled first.

Yes, the "securely anchored" comment in post #87 is puzzling to me as well. It could well be BS. If anchored then I would have thought someone ought to have stayed aboard. If no volunteers, then the Captain.

If the Australian Navy went out of their way to collect the crew just because they were feeling queasy/seasick then the owner deserves an invoice. Its one thing to rescue people if their life is in danger. An N96 that is "securely anchored" may well be uncomfortable, but lives in danger seems unlikely.

Winds abate, and seas settle in a few days. They ought to have known the weather forecast, and they choose to start a transit with that forecast. I don't have it, but likely it was "strong winds for a few days" or similar. Whatever the forecast was the Captain decided the N96 could handle it. He was probably right. If "securely anchored" then bow is into the wind and waves and it would also be no problem for the vessel. But then, it seems, ignore the forecast - "get me outa here, I ain't feelin' so good" and I don't want to wait a couple of days for it to become safe to dive. The Captain has some explaining to do, and given taxpayer $$$ were involved in the crew rescue the full story needs to be made public.

The quick answer is "why didn't they stay as it wasn't all that dangerous?".

But if it was anchored and stabilization unavailable, maybe they evaluated the chance of injury was great and what could they really do that a disabled vessel at anchor needed?

I have been at sea where walking on the bulkheads was as common as walking the deck due to rolling. Yes, someone got hurt and needed medevac by helicopter as soon as we could launch safely and in range of land.

I get the "get us off" decision in this case.... a lot of rescues not so much but as usual I don't have all the facts in nary a one...even in most rescues I have participated in, I really never got the whole story.

go to the 2.47 mark

Nice of the Navy to go fetch the tender, and tow it a few hundred miles to TI. I guess they viewed this whole saga as training exercises. Oh well, they no doubt enjoyed the break from normal routine.......

VivieRae II passed Cape York yesterday, en route to Cairns according to MarineTraffic. The youtube video indicated they will come to Brisbane for repairs, although that might depend on further underwater inspections. Its 1350 nm from TI to Brisbane, so it could take them another week assuming not having any extended stopovers.

Abandoned Nordhavn 96

Sorry, but I cannot put my hand on the reference, but saw yesterday (Wednesday here) on phone or computer that it was underway and continuing to Cairns and down to Townsville apparently under own power.
Be interesting if it is lifted out in Townsville as only one place could do it and we are booked there to be lifted for annual bottom treatment in next few days. Similarly, if it simply ties up, there is really only one place and we are normally in that marina. Hopefully we might get a bit more info on real story.

Having towed a tender in the same area some years ago in only moderate sea conditions, it was sobering to have photos of tender on top of a swell facing back to the direction we had come from. The instant snap loadings on the towing gear would have been something (but it held).
Apparently our experience was not unusual and some serious pro's that tow dories all the time for fishing taught me to always have a strong flashing strobe on tender so you can find it again so conditions must send them off on independant cruising pretty regular.

I'll post more info if it comes my way.

Be interesting if it is lifted out in Townsville as only one place could do it and we are booked there to be lifted for annual bottom treatment in next few days. .

I'm guessing that's Rosshaven?
Be interested in your opinion on skills and pricing
I can't seem to get them to reply to my emails.

Here's the collision with the tanker trying to tow them. Could have been worse. Steel and fiberglass don't mix too well.

Went past it on the way out to Moreton Bay today. Port side superstructure a bit scuffed up still. I think its been on the T-Head for a week, not sure why it hasn't been hauled yet.

Attachments

• ViviRae II.jpg
    ViviRae II.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 37
She is on the way heading north now at 9 knots. Just passed Mooloolaba.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom