Spin-on fuel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
Someone posted info a pics of how he hacked the secondary fuel filter with a single remote system. I've looked everyehere and cannot find it. can anyone help?
Thanks

Fuel filter mod

Not sure they are available any longer. I’ll look for paperwork. Same could be done with Raycor filter.

Attachments

• fuel filter mod .jpg
    fuel filter mod .jpg
    96 KB · Views: 10
Thanks a bunch. If you find the part numbers that would great.

This is an adapter for spin on filters for a 120. Not sure that they are available anymore.

DP1000 New Fuel Filter Adaptor Converts from Cartridge Type CAV Element

Now you have my attention, lol. I have the FL 120's and this would replace the dual engine mount eCAV filters ? What is the main reason for the adaptor, ease of use?

The main reason is to get rid of the multi part fuel filter and just use a spin on filter. It makes filter changes easier. And less possibility of air leaks.

The main reason is to get rid of the multi part fuel filter and just use a spin on filter. It makes filter changes easier. And less possibility of air leaks.

I made the same conversion on my Perkins 4.236 - adapter came from a company in the UK.

The original style that sandwiched a filter element between two housing halves meant priming took a lot longer. The spin on element can be pre-filled with diesel. Less of an issue of you have an electric priming pump, but still a worthy upgrade for me.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/us/spin-on-fuel-filter-replacement-kit-for-cav-filters-302040

Peter

See attached. I believe mine is a Caterpillar item but a cruising buddy obtained an aftermarket one at lordco here in Canada.
It bolts to the head in place of the old one but required a spacer (I think an old bearing) at the rear mounting hole. It requires new fuel lines from the fuel pump to the fitting and from the fitting to the injection pump also. If you need I can take more photos. The filter I use is a 2 micron Baldwin B5810.

Attachments

• 49DC91B6-CF19-4ABC-92C6-A2A10E389DCA.jpg
    49DC91B6-CF19-4ABC-92C6-A2A10E389DCA.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 13
Trawler Tom on Facebook and YouTube makes one

Someone posted info a pics of how he hacked the secondary fuel filter with a single remote system. I've looked everyehere and cannot find it. can anyone help?
Thanks

Trawler Tom on Facebook makes a kit, it's $600 but it's all stainless and the filter is a spin on NAPA filter for maybe $10. If you can't find him, let me know.

Still many offerings - some cheaper - on eBay.

Ford Lehman Spin-on filter

I've been chasing this for a while.

There was someone a while ago who made an adapter but went out of business. Also, a while ago I checked with Brian at American Diesel, and he didn't have a source. He might now.

The reason that I want to get a spin on setup is due to having a friend help me change filters 1 time and ended up with fuel in my bilge while transiting up the coast of NJ. I caught it when I went to do an engine check. I couldn't get the leak to stop so I had to stop the engine and we continued on 1 engine. BTW if anyone wants a reason for dual engines this is a perfect example. Strangely, the other filter was ok. Turned out the upper seal wasn't installed properly. Spin-on would eliminate this potential problem. The approach into Manasquan on 1 engine through a field of much smaller boats was interesting, but the marina, because I called ahead, was ready for us.

The adapter posted looks promising but before I would try that I'm going to contact Chuck Cook at Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply in NJ & here's why.

I was at the Annapolis Boat show in Oct and stopped at a booth that was selling a fuel polishing setup and I thought that while it was a 2 filter system, it might work. Could be used to change OVER to the 2nd filter and replace the used filter later on or run both for the job.

After I explained what I wanted to do, have the ability to use a spin-on filter he said, wait a minute and went online and came back with a kit that Parker/Racor has. MAES is a Parker/Racor dealer. He can be reached at 856-829-7798.

Now, I'm not ready to make the change so I haven't contacted Chuck to check on this. I would favor Parker/Racor due to their expertise in this area.

IF anyone checks with Chuck and he has the adapter, let us know.

I'll bookmark the site that was provided.

In closing, a couple yrs ago I put pumps on my 1st stage Racor filters, and it made the priming a breeze. I built a moment switch into the wiring both in the engine room and also a remote switch on the lower helm. The mate when I do a filter change will throw the switch for about 10-15 sec in the direction of the engine I worked on then start the engine. I check for leaks and then have the engine shut down and I do the second engine. The primaries take about 15min to change both filters. One trick is to advance the throttles a little more than usual.

Hope this all helps.

SidClark's Amazon source is all you need - I mentioned that there are some offerings on eBay which are less money. It's a simple conversion and mine have been installed for years without incident.

Back
Top Bottom