Solomons Island - Back Creek or Mill Creek ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Heading up to Solomans Island in a few days from Hampton Va. Last time we anchored in Back Creek over close to the Museum but it was kinda tight and was looking for advise on how Back Creek would be, as far as access to dingy dock and maybe adding some water to the boat at some point.
Thanks,
Jeff
Indigo Star

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-12 184747.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 184747.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 47
Years and years ago, I anchored in Mill Creek to the east. Lots of room and quiet.

David

There is a free municipal pump out dock at 38.322870294230455, -76.45892466082485, there is a spigot here to flush your tanks as well as top off your potable water tanks, you need to use your own hose usually. This is closer to Back Creek. For anchoring overnight, I prefer Mill Creek as it has a number of protected coves with plenty of water depth, good holding and wind protection. If you want a shorter dinghy ride to restaurants and commercial services, Back Creek would be the better option.

Unless the really off season, Mill Creek is where I usually went to anchor.

FWIW, it's just plain "Solomons" not "Solomons Island" which is in the Pacific Ocean! Plenty of anchorages either one you choose. Check the weather/wind as you get a little different protection in each area.

It is considered an island in spite of the body of water essentially contained by a culvert (just north of the Lore oyster house). The names are interchangeable, if you arrive by land, you will be traveling down Solomons Island Rd. Most people that live in the area are actually in Lusby, the few that live on the island are quick to point out the demarcation point.

Last edited:
Years and years ago, I anchored in Mill Creek to the east. Lots of room and quiet.

David
Mill Creek! My wife's favorite anchorage from the northern Chesapeake to Lantana, Florida!
Tight Lines!

Alan
Alan & Jeanne Cecil
M/V SIGMACHI

Attachments

• logo_1071415125_538000384.png
    logo_1071415125_538000384.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 2
Mill Creek! My wife's favorite anchorage from the northern Chesapeake to Lantana, Florida!
Tight Lines!

Alan
Alan & Jeanne Cecil
M/V SIGMACHI

Back
Top Bottom