Ship going sea speed million$ damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They should have had a pilot aboard, shouldn’t they? How stupid can they be?

They should have had a pilot aboard, shouldn’t they? How stupid can they be?
Bar crossing yes each and every time. However, the river not so much. If the Cap't has done the river several times he is considered train, so I am told. We didn't feel a thing.

Well then I guess the captain would shoulder all the blame. Hopefully they sue the crap out of the owners of the ship.

Pilots are not required if the ship's captain has a pilotage endorsement for that port.

Well I was wrong. What surprised me is that it is a State Requirement, not a Federal.

I contacted the Columbia River Pilots and this is what they stated:

Dan Butler <dan@colrip.com>
To:
Thomas Teseniar

Tue, Apr 14 at 8:27 AM

Good morning,

Per state statute, all foreign-flag vessels are required to use a state-licensed pilot for both the bar and river pilotage grounds.

Regards, Dan

Dan Butler

Vessel Movement Coordinator

Colrip-RGB-Email Signature

Phone: 503-289-9922 | www.colrip.com

13225 N. Lombard, Portland, Oregon 97203

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 8:56 PM
To: Dispatchers <dispatchers@colrip.com>
Subject: Question

It is my understanding that ships crossing the Columbia River bar are required to use a bar pilot.

Are ships required to have a pilot from Astoria to Portland?

What's weird is that Kalama has what is probably the best breakwater on the river. If it was that bad there, what happened at Kelso/Longview or especially Ranier?

Rut Row, somebody is gonna be in deep doo doo.

and everybody here though wake boats were the worst..
HOLLYWOOD

They will probably just point to the regulation requiring them to steam at cruise speed to maintain rudder authority.

Some hull forms are weird. We've anchored out at Sauvies Island the last couple summers and most of the bulk carriers are no problem. Some are. I've only been thrown out of my bunk once. Oh and one lost pot of Chili. That one was worth crying about. :(

Think I can sue for that? :)

I went over there, look/see. Bunch of 4X4 supports for the shed roofs are busted! A couple adjusters on the dock taking pics & notes of damage.

Never woulda thought that could happen there, but it did! It's almost straight in from the river, then 90 deg to starboard turn into the basin.

I speculate that the first big wake got in then reflected back from the end of the basin & combined with next wave that got in, as the most damage is about halfway down the basin.

Last year we went to Seattle to the locks. There were 4 ships doing 20kts plus. The wake they put out scared us. After a few radio comments the USCG called the ships to remind them they were in a no wake zone.

Too bad they got out of US waters before they were identified. Wish they had impounded it, however don’t know if that was even possible legally.

Nobody ran down the dock and yelled "SLOW DOWN!" ?????

:D

Slightly off topic but I spent my earliest formative years in Kalama and my Uncle managed the Port of Kalama and the local hardware store. So the story hits close to home. Hope the USCG gets this guy and that full restitution is made.

The ship that caused the damage was HUGE, occupied about 1/6 of the width of the channel, depth unknown, but the damage was more of a tidal wave than just a wake.
The displacement of the beast must be huge.
I once asked a tugboat pilot that pushed fuel barges in narrow canals how he controlled the load? He replied that the barge steered itself, escaping water from the bow created high pressure along the sides, keeping it centered in the channel. The key was finding a fast enough speed to keep it centered without wiping out the surrounding landscape!
That’s by no means excusing the damage done.
I’m sure many large ships have navigated the same channel without creating problems, likely even this same ship, so I’d say the Pilot is in the hot seat rather than the shipping company.

Thr port has filed a complain and now estimates damage to the marina at 2 million. However boats that were damaged are on thier own.

Sad story. I have stayed at this marina several times years ago and remember it being a quite nice place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom