Sewing Machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in the same boat as OP. I just paid $1600 to have a freaking bimini canvas made for my GB42. That is crazy. I ordered a used sailrite and plan to do all the other canvas items on board myself. Dingy cover, window covers, davit cover, etc, etc. Paid $350 for it. And by me I mean my wife will make them. She had to choose, brightwork or canvas work. She chose wisely. I was hoping the feminist in her would go for the "manly" brighwork so I could sew canvas inside, with the AC on and a drink but my plan failed.

Phil, I bought a Sewstrong 607 Longbed (Rex 607L) from Westchester Sewing Co last month. The same base machine as sailrite. Delivered next day, $425. I'm a beginner. Liking the machine.Went through and oiled everything, ran it for an hour, reoiled again and cleaned it up. Sews through 9 layers of Sunforger canvas no problem.
I am finding sewing not much different from building a boat. Good plan, accurate measurements and cuts, etc. Practicing by making generator covers, tool rolls, bags ,etc using my old canvas.

Link to the machine:

https://www.westchestersewing.com/RE607L/

Fellow 78 34' Mainship owner Great Loop, now self scratch building a 30' Rumrunner including canvas work. Enjoy!

I took a look, interesting and looks like a nice option. After a few projects can you post back how it works? I definitely need something that can go through multiple layers of canvas as well as 40 gauge vinyl or strataglass

I took a look, interesting and looks like a nice option. After a few projects can you post back how it works? I definitely need something that can go through multiple layers of canvas as well as 40 gauge vinyl or strataglass
It's a walking foot machine which is the single biggest differentiator. Chances are it has the same drive train as the older, original Thomson Mini Walkers. Where the Sailrite machines probably have an advantage is reliable stitch length - some machines just can't produce a reliably long stitch so you end up with more seam pucker. Sailrites also come with a nicer electronic foot pedal controller that makes slow stitching easier. Finally, the Sailrite can be fitted with a monster wheel that really helps punch through heavy fabric. Unsure whether a monster wheel could be retrofitted onto this machine (likely, but no way to know for sure).

At the price point, definitely worth a shot. Even if you have to have it adjusted due to shipping, would be under $100. There's a lot to be said for the Sailrite machine, especially since this is a once in a lifetime purchase. And frankly, the cost of materials is pretty high once you get outfitted (the tenera thread is close to $100 for a large cone). A cheap knock off hot knife is close to $100. A few rolls of two sided basting tape, a handful of marking pencils, various scissors, pins (or better - Magic Clips), and you easily add another couple hundred bucks. Really adds up so saving a few hundred bucks in the machine gets diluted. I can tell you from experience that sewing on a poorly adjusted machine is extremely frustrating.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Peter

Its certainly possible to use a cheap machine like the Singer HD, but you'll soon want a walking foot. I went that route with a used Singer HD I bought in the parking lot of my marina "just to learn". My mother in law is a master quilter and she taught me the ropes and then I dabbled in projects. I can definitely say, it will go through heavy stuff but you need to be careful, know when to stop, and REALLY guide the material and use basting tape to keep things from going awry.

But, with the cheapo, it can be done. Doing vinyl? Yes, it doesn't like it but it does it. Strata or equivalent? Get a bigger and better machine.

Anyways, some projects with the cheapo Singer HD:

First project: some cheapo sunbrella flybridge cushions

Second: Sunbrella covers for our new cheapo dinghy (only used when on the davits)

Third: Cheapo fit cover for our Wahoo 16.2. VERY heavy material - it was a bear.

Attachments

• IMG_7474.jpg
    IMG_7474.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7745.jpg
    IMG_7745.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7617.jpg
    IMG_7617.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 26
Its certainly possible to use a cheap machine like the Singer HD, but you'll soon want a walking foot. I went that route with a used Singer HD I bought in the parking lot of my marina "just to learn". My mother in law is a master quilter and she taught me the ropes and then I dabbled in projects. I can definitely say, it will go through heavy stuff but you need to be careful, know when to stop, and REALLY guide the material and use basting tape to keep things from going awry.

But, with the cheapo, it can be done. Doing vinyl? Yes, it doesn't like it but it does it. Strata or equivalent? Get a bigger and better machine.

Anyways, some projects with the cheapo Singer HD:

First project: some cheapo sunbrella flybridge cushions

Second: Sunbrella covers for our new cheapo dinghy (only used when on the davits)

Third: Cheapo fit cover for our Wahoo 16.2. VERY heavy material - it was a bear.

Nice work. I jealous of all your tools and workshop!

I can definitely say, it will go through heavy stuff but you need to be careful, know when to stop, and REALLY guide the material and use basting tape to keep things from going awry.

In addition to basting tape for those w/o a walking foot machine, be sure to have a "seam jack" on hand. Also called a hump jumper, seam jumper, etc., it allows you to easily go over multiple layers when they intersect. Most good machines can sew together 3 or 4 layers no problem, but when it comes to a cross seam of 6 layers, the foot can't climb over the hump and stiches pile up. The seam jack takes a few moments to place (and time is money for commercial work), but it allows a regular machine to perform the impossible. Plus, it feels good to have a $6 item work like a $600 machine.

Coincidentally, today is sewing day for me here in Mazatlan - a large awning for the foredeck of Weebles.

I own three sewing machines. Two Sailrite machines (one is for sale if anyone is interested), and a relatively inexpensive Kenmore I bought new 25 years ago.

Which did I bring with me from California to Florida? The Kenmore. Much as I like the Mini-Walker Sailrite machines, they are just too heavy and bulky to store and move. If I had a sailboat and did sail repairs or upholstert, would be worth the effort. But the standard Kenmore machine does pretty well with what I need to do.

The big items I miss about the Sailrite machine when using the Kenmore:

- long stitch lengthy. Keeps puckering down even with basting tape

- longer arm opening. Sailrite is still pretty short, but is better than the Kenmore.

- weight and hefty of the Sailrite is a nice benefit when dealing with large canvas panels. The Kenmore is easily pushed around.

Bottom line is I have zero regrets about leaving the heavy Sailrite at home. End product is only slightly less perfect, but plenty good enough

Peter

In addition to basting tape for those w/o a walking foot machine, be sure to have a "seam jack" on hand. Also called a hump jumper, seam jumper, etc., it allows you to easily go over multiple layers when they intersect. Most good machines can sew together 3 or 4 layers no problem, but when it comes to a cross seam of 6 layers, the foot can't climb over the hump and stiches pile up. The seam jack takes a few moments to place (and time is money for commercial work), but it allows a regular machine to perform the impossible. Plus, it feels good to have a $6 item work like a $600 machine.

My Sailrite will climb over varying thickness material easily. It will single stitch through 8 layers of Sunbrella with no problems. It might do more but 8 is the most I have tried.

I wish I had more time to sew. In the future I should be able to do more. But like Peter...the time to sew has come back around. I am 1/3 the way through the V berth cushions. Foam is purchased and cut, although it needs a bit of fine tuning. Fabric ordered. Keyhole wood purchased (1/2 inch Birch plywood). I may have to add fiberglass or some type of stiffener for strength. I ordered extra Fabric this time as its the same fabric I made the main cabin cushions several years ago. Its called Remy Mist from Jo-Anns and it has been great. I ordered 15 yards.

I again used the Sailrite video as a how too and angle cut the foam to fit the hull angle on the outboard sides. It was worth the effort as I ended up having an additional 8 inches of width from doing the angle cut. As a result the V berth will be 108 inches across at the widest point. Thats 28 inches wider than a king bed!!

Ill have to restrain myself during sewing and practice some serious patience because I am so looking forward to finally having nice V berth cushions for actual sleeping. FYI the foam is 6 inches

Attachments

• V berth cushions.jpg
    V berth cushions.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 10
Yesterday I finished an awning for the foredeck on Weebles. This was sewn with a standard home sewing machine, nothing special. It's a bit of a struggle to get through folded seams that have 5-6 layers of fabric, but it's workable.

Sailrite machines are great - I own two. But a lot of cool stuff can be made with the same sewing machine sitting in the closet of many homes.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240102_100333.jpg
    20240102_100333.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240103_050742.jpg
    20240103_050742.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
I have a Rex 607Z which is the same as the Barracuda, Consew, Family Sew, etc. $350 on Amazon 7 or 8 years ago. I added the Monster Wheel which I also got on Amazon, it's actually the older version without the PosiPin system and it's marketed under the Barracuda name. It helps a lot. Doubles the power and halves the speed. Sailrite calls these machines knock offs, but the Sailrite LS1 and LSZ1 are knock offs too. The original was the Thompson from the 1950's, the patents have expired so now anyone can make them. The only difference between the cheap ones and the Sailrite is Sailrite has beefed up some of the internal parts. They have a YouTube video describing this. A couple of those parts did break in my Rex, I replaced them with the stronger Sailrite versions and they fit perfectly. All of these machines being a 1950's design are crude by today's standards. They all will need frequent adjustment but Sailrite has published all their tuning and maintenance videos on YouTube. Tuning it is pretty easy. A friend of mine spent more than $1500 on an LSZ1 with all the bells and whistles and she hates it. She's used to her modern dress making machine. Mine sews every bit as well as hers, maybe better.

Last edited:
Pfaff 450 is a great machine for heavy work. Pure commerial machine and it is the machine that I have seen in the canvas shops around here. Big and heavy. My wife wants me to get rid of mine. They can be very old and still run perfectly.

Yesterday I finished an awning for the foredeck on Weebles. This was sewn with a standard home sewing machine, nothing special. It's a bit of a struggle to get through folded seams that have 5-6 layers of fabric, but it's workable.

Sailrite machines are great - I own two. But a lot of cool stuff can be made with the same sewing machine sitting in the closet of many homes.

Peter

Very Sharp hardtop , tell me about it please.

MGreen

could tell me about your pffaf sewing machine you might sell. Looking for something that will sew canvas.

Cheers J.T.

Very Sharp hardtop , tell me about it please.

When I did the refit, I made several major configuration changes. The flybridge originally had a thwart bench seat and a beefy mast for steadying sail and dinghy lift.

Weebles will end up in Florida with big sun and low bridges. The mast interferes with any decent sized bimini and of course the mast dramatically increased air draft. So I had the entire layout changed to include an extended hard top for solar and shade, and two fore and aft benches that are long enough to sleep on.

The hard top was made by Niza Marine, the guys in Ensenada who I ultimately fired. It's foam core with fiberglass over. Frankly, having watched La Costa build a hard top with beautifully sculpted curves, mine is pretty lame. If I lived in the area, I'd have La Costa redo the top. But it is functional.

Slowgoesit mentions my aft deck hard top extension. If I were on my PC I could quickly find pictures, but words will have to suffice. The aft deck on the W36 sedan came in two variations. One where the hard top extends aftesrd and follows the lines of the canoe stern. In the other variation, the hard top is short by about 3-feet with a straight edge, presumably to facilitate fishing. Weebles was the latter variant so I had the hard top extended.

So far, we've been very happy with the reconfiguration of the flybridge. We do need some sun shade from the low angle winter sun so I'm seeing some side awnings that will attach with awning track under the outer edge of the hard top, and can be rolled up when not needed.

It's been a surprising amount of work to get Weebles ready for the tropics.

Peter

I have a Rex 607Z which is the same as the Barracuda, Consew, Family Sew, etc. $350 on Amazon 7 or 8 years ago. I added the Monster Wheel which I also got on Amazon, it's actually the older version without the PosiPin system and it's marketed under the Barracuda name. It helps a lot. Doubles the power and halves the speed. Sailrite calls these machines knock offs, but the Sailrite LS1 and LSZ1 are knock offs too. The original was the Thompson from the 1950's, the patents have expired so now anyone can make them. The only difference between the cheap ones and the Sailrite is Sailrite has beefed up some of the internal parts. They have a YouTube video describing this. A couple of those parts did break in my Rex, I replaced them with the stronger Sailrite versions and they fit perfectly. All of these machines being a 1950's design are crude by today's standards. They all will need frequent adjustment but Sailrite has published all their tuning and maintenance videos on YouTube. Tuning it is pretty easy. A friend of mine spent more than $1500 on an LSZ1 with all the bells and whistles and she hates it. She's used to her modern dress making machine. Mine sews every bit as well as hers, maybe better.

Short response: there are walking foot sewing machines that are much cheaper than the Sailrite version. Just as Harbor Freight sells tools that look identical to their higher quality counterparts.

Long response: in my opinion, the Sailrite is worth the extra money. While the difference isn't night/day, the inferior product will skip stitches and be mildly more frustrating to work with - something you will deal with for a very, very long time.

One of my two Sailrite machines is an original Thompson Mini Walker purchase from Sailrite almost 30 years ago. The other is one I bought used last year, an LSZ1.

There is at least one YouTube video that compares a modern Sailrite to a commonly available knock off available for 65% less - over $700 savinfs if I recall. The look identical. At first, the reviewer is mildly enthusiastic about the cost savings but starts to notice mild differences on some internal parts. I forget what it was, but there was one part associated with the bobbin cafe that kept the needles from aligning perfectly (may have been one of the plain bearings on the may transfer bar). He has trouble contacting the company but they ultimately sent a replacement that had the same issue, so he ended up buying it from Sailrite. There were a couple items like that.

So what you get with Sailrite is a machine that works right out of the box. You get a company that has been upgrading their product for almost 50 years and knows the shortcomings. Sewing machines are amazingly intricate pieces of machinery to get all the timing right. Sailrite has spent some time to make it the best it possibly can be.

When it's all done, I'll have spent abiut $800 in fabric and stuff to do the awnings for Weebles. Plus a bunch of consumable items - my sewing box probably has over $500 in thread and doo-dads and trinkets to make sewing easier. Doesn't include the Snap-It tool for installing snaps and grommets, about $250 with optional dies.

There are few things in life more frustrating than a less-than-perfelctly timed sewing machine. The results are skipped stitches, broken thread, etc. in my opinion, saving a few hundred bucks on a knock off sewing machine is false economy.

Peter

could tell me about your pffaf sewing machine you might sell. Looking for something that will sew canvas.

Cheers J.T.

You can send a PM if you want more details. If you include a cell number I can send some pictures. It is an old industrial (came from Boeing surplus) walking foot machine. If I had to guess I would think it is from the 60s or maybe the 70s. I had to do some pully work to slow it down so I could use it. it has a pedal for speed and a lever that you hit with your thigh to reverse it. It sits in a purpose built stand that is 20" deep and 48" wide. It does not do zig zag so is not appropriate for sails. Just canvas and heavy work that needs a straight stitch. I used it for a bunch of canvas work on my old Islander 36 sailboat. It comes with a mounted bobbin filler and a tree structure to hold thread. I have seen this identical machine in canvas and upholstery shops when I have purchased foam and Sunbrella Scraps. I have too much stuff in my garage and I have one small project I should do before it goes away. As far as I know, it is mechanically perfect. When I see them for sale, they seem to have asking prices from 800 to 1500. I was not really trying to sell yet, but probably should. I would take 700 right now. If I get serious about selling, I would probably ask around at some of the shops to see if they are interested. I am not sure if you can actually wear one of these out though.

Due to astronomical prices from canvass shops I'm thinking about attempting the project of replacing the brown, cracked and broken, previously clear roll up windows on the flybridge. The canvas and zippers are fine so I hope that replacing the vinyl or eisenglass (not sure what it is) is all I need to do. Sailrite prices are a lot. Canvas shops are totally backed up and very expensive to do the work.

Anyone know of a sewing machine that can make it through 40 gauge vinyl and canvas?

They will be rolled up the majority of the time and I'm thinking I only want the front and front-side corners done for use in rain and chilly days. I prefer operating from the flybridge even though I have a lower helm.

I would strongly suggest starting off with a canvas project first and preferably a small cover of sorts with little risk of wasted materials rather than a project of clear windows or vinyl upholstery. Canvas hides the holes of your mistakes and in most cases, you can seam rip it apart and try again. Vinyl and isinglass is pretty unforgiving and I would consider something to work up to as every little misplaced stitch leaves a glaring hole behind.

I run my boat almost exclusively from the bridge and don't have side curtains. While I greatly prefer the view from the upper helm, looking through plastic windows in the rain is really frustrating and worse than operating from the lower station where I have a windshield wiper. In cold weather, where visibility isn't a concern but a wind block is important, I'm pretty content with the venturi windshield and a decent foul weather jacket. Also, when it is time to dock in high winds, side curtains make it harder to maneuver. I've run a twin-engine sportfish with no lower station and the side curtains are nice to have but I've also run 3 single engine Mainships pretty extensively with only a bimini on the bridge and retreat to the lower station when weather is poor.

Google Mumcraft Sewing Clips for another $10 product that helps a home machine sew like a walking foot. They also work with walking foot machines and can be a time saver. No more pins.

I had to do some pully work to slow it down so I could use it.

You can add a servo motor to something like the Pfaff or Consew or like my Seiko. This is what I put on mine and the price is reasonable. If was a HUGE upgrade and worth every penny and then some. Mine had the old clutch motor and it was a MONSTER. Very hard to control. It will drastically increase your confidence and capability.

https://amzn.to/3txri8Z

Last edited:
I found that changing the ratio on the belts slowed the machine down well for me. It got to where I could do the work myself, but certainly not at the quality that the good shops do. There are some things that I have gotten very good at, mostly by spending a lot of hours doing them. But all my canvas projects totaled only about 80 hours which was good enough for functional, but not great looking. Like everything, if I devoted more time, maybe I could have run the machine at stock speeds and do nice work. I am kind of moving to the place of accepting some of my limitation because I don't have enough life left to invest enough time to be really good. My attitude has shifted. 15 years ago, I built a 17' Whitehall rowboat to test my skill and get a boat I really wanted that I could enjoy rowing. I am pretty sure I will not take on any more projects like that again. However, I am having a real challenge letting go of the tools to do that kind of work. Part of me still believes I will do something like that again. by the way, if you look on craigslist, there is a sewing machine and stand, virtually the same as my machine for sale for 800 in Port Hadlock-Irondale. They are calling that one a 545 H4. it looks identical to mine so I might have the numbering wrong.

My latest sewing project. Not for the boat, these are cushions for the window seats in the bedrooms. I went with a seashore theme. The brown/gold color would match the "teak tunnel" look of my 80's Taiwanese trawler.

Attachments

• 100_0240.jpg
    100_0240.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_0238.jpg
    100_0238.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 15
My dock mate used the method of sewing new material over the existing old material then cutting out the old material when all sewed in. Came out perfect and you never notice the trailings of the old. Makes for a perfect replacement because the old material holds it shape perfectly. Walking foot machine is required. I looked at the walmart site from the link above and was really surprised to see all the clones of the sail rite machine..I actually have a thompson machine, which I understand sail rite bought and renamed. I have sewed all my interior and exterior cushions. Once you get the knack of it it is fun to do. It is not rocket science. I also did all the privacy covers around the rear sundeck. Would have cost a lot but it was just all straight sewing.

For anyone interested and in the NE I plan to sell my Sailrite LS-1 but will be making it a package deal for basically a shop that I did work for other boaters, campers and many other one-off jobs.
I'm busy & traveling this winter but come spring/early summer will pull together an inventory of what's for sale and what's included at no charge.
The DIY Canvas Sewing Tips thread has several pictures of the set up.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/diy-canvas-tips-tricks-recommendations-22037.html

Last edited:
My dock mate used the method of sewing new material over the existing old material then cutting out the old material when all sewed in. Came out perfect and you never notice the trailings of the old. Makes for a perfect replacement because the old material holds it shape perfectly. Walking foot machine is required. I looked at the walmart site from the link above and was really surprised to see all the clones of the sail rite machine..I actually have a thompson machine, which I understand sail rite bought and renamed. I have sewed all my interior and exterior cushions. Once you get the knack of it it is fun to do. It is not rocket science. I also did all the privacy covers around the rear sundeck. Would have cost a lot but it was just all straight sewing.

If you are referring to replacing clear vinyl in panels I came up with a way to eliminate the extra cut edge of the old vinyl and still have the benefit of the old maintains shape while doing the replacement. I'm traveling for 10 days or so but if interested PM me your email after Jan 20 and I can send you the How To PDF File.

I prefer my Consew RB-265 over a sailright. Started out with a Singer 111.

Back
Top Bottom