Secondary filter housing on Lehmann weeping diesel at bleed bolt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I seem to recall others have had this issue. The secondary filter housing on Lehmann I beginning to weep diesel at the bleed bolt. I believe the housing is aluminum and the bleed bolt is stainless so I suspect that it is beginning to be stripped. The setup is nearly 40 years old now.

So I see several possible fixes. 1) drill and tap for a larger size bolt, and bore new holes in the bolt. 2) Helicoil. 3) make do with teflon tape for now. 4) replace the whole system with a spin on filter and prepare new fuel lines to and from the new filters.

Advice, suggestions, options most appreciated.

Jim

Is there a copper, aluminum, or plastic crush washer under the bolt? Those are supposed to be one use only and should be replaced every time the bolt is loosened. I don't think many people actually do that but there is a limit to how many times they can be crushed and still seal. Replace the washer if there is one. I found some at Ace Hardware.

Yes. I have found the copper crush washer, and no, I have not replaced that. I’ll give that a go. I will try and source some locally here.

Jim

You can anneal the copper washer and it will soften back up.
If you just can’t get it to seal, like my filter housing, I found these really great washers with o rings cast into them. Works very well, and doesn’t take as much torque to seal it like a crush washer does.

Here’s the update. I took the unit off and after conferring with my machinist friends, the bleed bolt hole is certainly stripped. I guess stainless on Aluminum over 39 years, I should not be surprised.

The good news is, American Diesel has nearly identical units for $200 USD. Shipped to Point Roberts, a can of Lehmann red spray paint (Lordco) and I’m good to go.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom