Ray McCormack Sunseeker 54 delivery to Hawaii currently underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just doing some very quick math their going to run out of fuel about 80% of the way there if the only have 840 gal of fuel. Does anyone know if they have SSB on board?

Just doing some very quick math their going to run out of fuel about 80% of the way there if the only have 840 gal of fuel. Does anyone know if they have SSB on board?

Where did you get the 840 gallons? I understood they had a lot more than that.

I am a member of the Maritime Mobile Service Network on 14.300 MHz if someone thinks we should issue a "boat watch" for them along their planned route.

I mentioned previously that the tote is most likely for transporting fuel to fill the bladders. There’s no place on the boat to put the tote, except for maybe the garage, and I can’t imagine a method to load it in there. There are also bladders inside the interior somewhere, and a tote wouldn’t fit through any companionway on that vessel.

Someone posted earlier that he had three 500 gallon bladders plus some drums. That tote may just have been for loading. I don’t know that Ray ever said exactly what he was carrying but he showed on the video posted above exactly where the drums were going to go.

Post #2 said that he was carrying 1800 gal of fuel so with that he should have enough. As long as he can keep it clean and dry to do transfers.

On cruisers forum, there was someone who crewed on the first attempt (was aborted west of Channel Islands due to a water leak on one of the engines). The crew did not continue on second attempt due to personal reasons - he was not derogatory about Ray McCormack. He wasn't certain, but seemed to believe they had 1800 gals total aboard. At the original fuel burn test runs of 7.5 kts at 5.3 GPH, would give a range of about 2600 nms. McCormack seemed to believe it was 2200nms to Hawaii which leaves over 15% reserve by his math.

I have no idea what the real numbers are except to say that I don't believe a pair of 800hp engines will burn 2.6 GPH each. Plus generator (this would be an sll-elecrric boat).

The guy has been raked over the coals since the BBG sinking. Who knows, maybe he's a better captain than it seems. If so, he left with more fuel than 1800 gals diesel. But who knows - he has comms but isn't updating anyone.

Peter.

Pulled this from a CF post by a person who was aboard the first attempt. From the SA thread, appears their speed is now averaging around 6-1/4 kts or so which is likely their most efficient speed

There were two fuel bladders in the aft cabins plus a fuel bladder replacing the dinghy in the dinghy garage. Total fuel store onboard was, if memory serves correctly, about 1800 gallons, including fixed fuel tanks. The plan was to make 7-8 knots and the fuel required was calculated out at, again hazy memory, about 1500 gallons after a measured fuel burn test.

McCormack figured it was 2200 nms to Hawaii (I actually think it's closer to 2300 nms from LA). At 7.4 kts, his burn rate was 0.7 GPM which means his calcs would give a range of around 2200 nms with 1500 gals diesel. I don't believe it, but that's the math.

Last edited:
I guess we will wait and see how he does. I was told that the MANs were not that fuel efficient at low speed. 5.3 gal at 7.5 knots is doing pretty good for a 54' planning hull. Windy shows that he has some big seas ahead of him.

Pulled this from a CF post by a person who was aboard the first attempt. From the SA thread, appears their speed is now averaging around 6-1/4 kts or so which is likely their most efficient speed

McCormack figured it was 2200 nms to Hawaii (I actually think it's closer to 2300 nms from LA). At 7.4 kts, his burn rate was 0.7 GPM which means his calcs would give a range of around 2200 nms with 1500 gals diesel. I don't believe it, but that's the math.

Any update on Ray's position and fuel burn?

Any update on Ray's position and fuel burn?

No news on fuel burn, but the last position from the SA thread was 11:53 AM PST today: 22* 25.397' N, 143* 58.952' W. Averaging just under 7 kts recently, last course was 262*. About 642nm from Hilo.

Boy, I remember we did a 70 mile run diagonally across Long Island Sound and it felt like 1,000 miles. Of course if any problems developed we could have easily changed course and run straight for either side. 642 miles from Hilo -- I'd be pretty stressed.

The latest position I could find. I think he can “smell the barn”.

Attachments

• IMG_8492.jpg
    IMG_8492.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 12
I wonder if this his him, this is the only "pleasure craft" in the area that came all the way across, no details unless you pay for satellite access. .........:thumb:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 3.05.56 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 3.05.56 PM.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It kind of looks like he’s heading for Alenuihaha.

That’s what they are saying on sailing anarchy. I did not know that was sort of universally considered a bad idea.

Posted within the last hour or so. Within rifle shot of Kona - I'm pleasantly surprised for them, though I'd be curious as to condition of boat given viscous seas they encountered. I hope theres a credible recount of fuel - amount carries, burned, how the transfers were done, glitches, etc. Would be instructive for future adventurers.

Peter

Screenshot_20231223_094300_DuckDuckGo.jpg

"Posted within the last hour or so. Within rifle shot of Kona - I'm pleasantly surprised for them, though I'd be curious as to condition of boat given viscous seas they encountered. I hope theres a credible recount of fuel - amount carries, burned, how the transfers were done, glitches, etc. Would be instructive for future adventurers."

Ditto!

Good for Capt Ray.

Considering some of the stories of Ray's past, I'd say the biggest thing he gets credit for here is managing to cram enough fuel onto that boat. The rest of the credit goes to Sunseeker in my book, especially if the boat managed to get through that trip without damage or issues.

Last edited:
Is it too soon to start the oven for the crow dinner?

Is it too soon to start the oven for the crow dinner?

Getting away with doing something dumb doesn’t make it any less of a bad decision to have done it.

Some of the concerns addressed here were based on fuel capacity calculations with incomplete or incorrect fuel quantities. The predictions of running short of fuel were based on that info. Whatever the correct numbers were, he apparently had enough fuel on board to get there.

Doing that trip in that boat carries risks to the boat and crew well beyond running out of fuel. Those risks were discussed pretty thoroughly in this thread and the risks don’t change because a guy got away with it once. People can do all sorts of stupid stuff and get away with it more often than not.

Hopefully the boat isn’t trashed but we may never know. Either way, it was stupid before he did it and it’s still stupid now.

I do not know the answer if this voice was a good idea or not, Some will say he was reckless with both the boat and the crew. Others may decide that he assess the situation the state and see where they miss off the boat and the ability of his crew Others may decide that he assesed the situation the state of his crew and seaworthynessof this boat. In my opinion I think that the boat could take way more than the crew can stand. The important part now is he and his crew are safe and the vessel is intact

I don't doubt that crossing the Pacific is a rigorous task. The trip has been done by so many different types of power boats that to label this particular vessel a poor choice ignores past history. Then comes the second guessing on fuel supply and storage that were based upon rumor and innuendo.

Some years ago a fellow I know said he was sick and tired of hearing that Selenes were pretty but not seaworthy. So he departed Seattle on his S47 and ended up in the South Seas on his vessel "Further."

Then how about those idiots (or not) that took a 40' Nordhavn around the world. Then comes the Great Harbor 37 "Ho O'Kele" that did the US east coast to Hawaii.

There are many more power boat crossings dating well back into the 1920s. I grew up with one that was built in the late 1920s and it's long distance exploits, when serving as a fishing boat and launch on the "Zaca", were well documented in the log books

And yes, the story as to prop fouling, stress and other boat issues is yet to be heard. This guy Ray has a pretty burnished history, but that should not cloud our thinking as this vessel's apparently suitable capabilities.

All you have to do is read the avetage TF post on zraworthyness or stability to see the diffetence between the experienced and the not so much when commenting on a particular issue/situation.

Back
Top Bottom