paravanes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I am considering adding paravane stabilizers to a 36 ft Gulfstar trawler. Has anyone have any info regarding a designer or experience with another type of stabalizer on this size vessel?
Ken

Hi Ken,
search for threads on stabilizers and you'll find a lot of discussions on this site. Also, I know that Cruising Sea Venture (youtube) had custom Paravanes designed by a firm in the PNW at significant cost. I emailed Jim from this channel and asked him but don't remember the name of the business in the PNW that built them for him. Based on the cost, I would go with Fin Stabilizers (IMHO). But that's just my opinion.

Beebe's book, "Voyaging under Power" discusses stability, including paravanes and other methods. Available from Amazon.

Paravane ratios

Does anyone have the rough ratio of boat length, paravane pole length, boat beam, mast height and fish size...also diameter and gauge (schedule 40,80) of poles....thanks

Does anyone have the rough ratio of boat length, paravane pole length, boat beam, mast height and fish size...also diameter and gauge (schedule 40,80) of poles....thanks

We have 300 square inch fins made by Kolstrand on our boat. All our specs can be seen on the nordhavn.com website.

I understand, but can not confirm, that Nordhavn used the same 300 square inch fish on the N43 and N47.

Ours are in the water right now :)

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom