Oceana, Sea Horse, Clipper, Senator 30/31 Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barking Sands,

I haven't calculated mine by measuring the tank size, but I did by measuring the fill time. I used a hose to fill a 5 gallon bucket, timed it, then filled the tank, timing it. My calculation came to 60 gallons. I then made a dip stick based on 60 gallons and divided it into 20 gallon increments.

Maybe I calculated wrong. Or my dip stick could now be in imperial gallons.

Barking Sands,

I haven't calculated mine by measuring the tank size, but I did by measuring the fill time. I used a hose to fill a 5 gallon bucket, timed it, then filled the tank, timing it. My calculation came to 60 gallons. I then made a dip stick based on 60 gallons and divided it into 20 gallon increments.

Maybe I calculated wrong. Or my dip stick could now be in imperial gallons.

Ill try to measure the tanks soon and post them up.

Measured mine today and the calculation came to 70 gallons each. I subtracted for the thickness of the tank and I couldn't see any additional welds signaling internal baffles. That's a big tank for no baffles.

50 gallons sorry for the late reply. We have two

Size 32 inches side to side, 19 inches high and 27 inches front to back.

Finally found out the Lien Hwa boat I am buying is a "Senator 31" & found this thread. I have posted before, because the poor girl is "distressed" . Sat for 10 yrs on the hard, and filled w/ rain water. Yes, it has a garboard drain & nobody ever took it out................UUF DA!
Water 1/2 way up engine (135 Lehman). Price was as close to zero as I can say, but well see if I stepped in quicksand. Applying all my mechanical know how, I think the engine is 99% good to go, no damage except starter, alt, etc. Velvet drive I hope is ok but milkshake (fresh, not salt). Matches boats on this thread, & I have a bunch of questions. Has no AC, but I'm shopping them now. Where are they usually on these boats, and how many BTU's will I need? Tks for all info!!

Hey SN. Glad you found us. Hopefully the engine can be put back in service. I installed a Marinaire 16k btu unit under the aft dinette seat. I have seen others under the forward dinette seat as well. Any pictures of the boat yet? If you want to start your own thread in this section for documentation and questions feel free. Dont spend any big money on accessories until you evaluate the engine and fuel tanks and other critical items. Congrats.

Dont spend any big money on accessories until you evaluate the engine and fuel tanks and other critical items.

What he said.

In addition to flushing the tranny and crankcase, be wary of water having entered the flywheel cover. Your starter might still be good, but if the water doesn't drain out of the flywheel cover, starting the engine will cause the flywheel to constantly spray rusty water on the bendix. The starter doesn't like that.

I would probably pull the starter and take it to a shop for an evaluation. That gives you an opening that can fit a endoscope, which might be useful in lots of other areas.

Starter was under water for as much as 10 yrs, ain't no saving that sucker! Took that & alt (frozen but not under water) to shop for ID and replacement. It's a Motorola (70A)with lots of wires to it, don't see many for sale. At least they don't need to be ign protected, cheaper. Removed the oil pressure warning switch to pre-lube the engine completely (maybe an hour) before attempting a start. I'd like to replace it, what pressure should I try for, 30-40 ? I'll check the flywheel, but no water visible after removing starter
Anybody got a generator on these boats? Where & how big KW pls

I'd look into a Balmar 100 amp alternator with their external regulator and temp sensors. That combination might safely double the original output.

I had a 4Kw generator onboard (8hp Yanmar diesel). I removed it and gave it away (faster than selling). I "replaced it" with the new alternator and upgraded batteries, which was all I needed for my cruising style.

Best deal I found for a starter was from DB Electrical (dbelectrical.com). It is listed for a Ford tractor and skid steer, part #16608-M127. $142.49 included shipping. Only a few $$ more than my local shop wanted to try to rebuild my original. Could be your engine uses the same as my 80 hp. The majority of my parts are the same as the 120 hp Lehman.

Just a little bit off topic.
My feelings between buying new or rebuilding.
Assuming you have found a trustworthy shop, rebuilding may be the way to go. That is, they did a complete tear down, inspected all the parts and replaced, with new parts, as necessary.

SIBERNUT- I have a Westerbeke W13 that puts out 4.4KW. It fits snugly right over the Shaft/stuffing box area.

I was at the boat today pulling out all the tools and parts and cleaning out drawers and made a neat discovery. The original owner had these old plates made. Used but still in good shape. Its all plastic of course but they are made for boats since they have a non skid ring on the back. Anyone know where new custom plates like this can be made?

23047-albums1084-picture7836.jpg

23047-albums1084-picture7837.jpg

Non skid plates

Take a sheet of waxed paper &lay it flat, big enough for several plates. On bottom of plates (before coffee) put a very small evr bead of clear silicone on the raised edge, put on paper with silicone down. Now have coffee & wait for it to harden.

Guys, need help on the AC situation. I have a 12KBTU unit located at a fair price. On my 30' Senator, is that enough? And where is yours located on a boat like mine? (A self contained unit, not old style 2 part). Space, ducting, access to cooling water, noise are all things you guys have dealt with before me, where did you put it? I'm ready to buy a 12K unit 15x15x19

Guys, need help on the AC situation. I have a 12KBTU unit located at a fair price. On my 30' Senator, is that enough? And where is yours located on a boat like mine? (A self contained unit, not old style 2 part). Space, ducting, access to cooling water, noise are all things you guys have dealt with before me, where did you put it? I'm ready to buy a 12K unit 15x15x19
I installed mine several years ago and made a video. It may be helpful. I do believe 12k btu will work most days. There are other videos you might find useful too such as generator location etc.

https://youtu.be/VttzI6UosnI

BIG help, tks! Where you discharged it, does it get the V berth area cool? Where is the thru hull or did you tap off the eng intake? I am looking at the forward dinette seat, with discharge into the passageway. Since you had an AC before, did that dictate the location?

Last edited:
BIG help, tks! Where you discharged it, does it get the V berth area cool? Where is the thru hull or did you tap off the eng intake? [/i]I am looking at the forward dinette seat, with discharge into the passageway. Since you had an AC before, did that dictate the location?

Careful with teeing off engine raw water intake. While I'm sure your engine is long out of warranty, to give some idea of the concern, there is not an engine OEM that would honor a warranty claim if an engine doesn't have a dedicated raw water source. Perhaps its their lawyers talking, but even Groco recommends against using their raw water manifold.

https://www.groco.net/products/fittings/manifolds/raw-water-manifold

That said, if your raw water seacock is oversized, there is no reason it can't work - effectively a sea chest.

Peter

Tee off raw water

Well, since i have no gen, ac would not be running same time as eng. Only concern id have is that eng would pull air in the ac discharge line. Many problems to overcome, thats just one. But problems involving hull need to be addressed before yard throws me out 6/1. Tks for reply.

Do some hunting for a cruise generator.
It is either belt driven, chain driven or part of the shaft.

Careful with teeing off engine raw water intake. While I'm sure your engine is long out of warranty, to give some idea of the concern, there is not an engine OEM that would honor a warranty claim if an engine doesn't have a dedicated raw water source. Perhaps its their lawyers talking, but even Groco recommends against using their raw water manifold.

https://www.groco.net/products/fittings/manifolds/raw-water-manifold

That said, if your raw water seacock is oversized, there is no reason it can't work - effectively a sea chest.

Peter

MY OPINION: Protect the main engine at all cost. IE In this case DO NOT T off the main engine cooling system.

Do some hunting for a cruise generator.
It is either belt driven, chain driven or part of the shaft.
If you are speaking of an oversized Alternator, I'd be interested. I see them reasonable on Northern Tool. But do they have to be run at a specific RPM to make 110VAC?

North Sea 30’ Lien Hwa Hull

i have just bought an abandoned North Sea 30’ which has the same cabin out lay as a Senator 31 trawler. she has a lehman 120. we have zero documentation on the boat that we can find. She is a Lien Hwa hull. right now we are trying to identify all the trough hull fittings and close all the seacocks.

we have found the main raw water seacock on stbd side of engine room and 2 small valves on port aft engine room. Any help at all would be great. i am having a hard time finding any info, she clearly says North Sea 30 on superstructure and I found a youtube video from her 2013 sale, but nothing in engine room and through hulls.

i have just bought an abandoned North Sea 30’ which has the same cabin out lay as a Senator 31 trawler. she has a lehman 120. we have zero documentation on the boat that we can find. She is a Lien Hwa hull. right now we are trying to identify all the trough hull fittings and close all the seacocks.

we have found the main raw water seacock on stbd side of engine room and 2 small valves on port aft engine room. Any help at all would be great. i am having a hard time finding any info, she clearly says North Sea 30 on superstructure and I found a youtube video from her 2013 sale, but nothing in engine room and through hulls.

I found the video. Very very close to mine in layout with some differences. I replied to your PM with the locations of my sea cock valve locations but they are likely to be different. Post some pictures when you get the chance. Glad you found us!

Well, I'll trade you some help. I have become very intimate with the guts of the SS Phelps (1984 Lein Hwa) . Finding lots of seacocks, all bronze TG. If anything in particular either reply or PM me. So far, I have yet to find galley FW pump, and where 2nd discharge from wash down pump goes forward. But I now have a new question- what is the plumbing situation with the head? Overboard discharge valve, and a SS square box under the sink counter in the head. Never seen a head with a "day tank", but that's what it reminds me of. Waste port in deck same spot, but massive SS tank in lazarette port side, same size as FW tank stbd. (Looks like the engineer who sized the tank must eat a lot of Szechwan or Kimchee.) Anyway, where do I pump out from, fwd ? Aft? Either?
Jabsco hand pump on head, can it be converted to power easily? Is there a macerator in the system I haven't found yet? Should I install one? Whatever is under the head can't be seen easily, formed FG panel.
Any help appreciated on this s**t !

Nice job on the fuel tanks, I wish I had done that when my engine was out.

pete

OK, 'nother question- Propane. Stove on SS Phelps is propane, and I have not found the tank yet. Rumor has it on the bridge under the helm somewhere. I happened to be aboard a sailboat with propane, and it had a tank looked like a SCUBA tank mounted INSIDE the cabin. Sounds like a death wish to me, but is there any advantage to what looks like a high pressure tank? (Outside!!)

OK, 'nother question- Propane. Stove on SS Phelps is propane, and I have not found the tank yet. Rumor has it on the bridge under the helm somewhere. I happened to be aboard a sailboat with propane, and it had a tank looked like a SCUBA tank mounted INSIDE the cabin. Sounds like a death wish to me, but is there any advantage to what looks like a high pressure tank? (Outside!!)

My propane tank was under the upper helm with a copper tube routed own the RH side stantion pipe.

Video is very similar to mine, although my documentation says it was build by Tung Hwa. Even when similar, they never seem to be identical. I have an 80 hp 4cyl Lehman. Seems to be all the power necessary for this boat, but since there were more 120hp around, maybe they got put in more often.

My prior owner was an engineer, so he graphed and mapped some stuff (but not all). Very helpful. Find a plan view and a profile view of your boat or something similar (maybe even Barking Sands dinner plates!) and make notes of through hull locations, wire runs, dimensions, etc. You will get familiar with the boat and won't have to rely completely on memory when things go wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom