Norwegian Escape Cruise Ship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthoennes

Guru
Vessel Name
Xanadu
Vessel Make
Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
The cruise industry sure is having a rough couple years. Norwegian Escape, Dominican Republic:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/norwegian-escape-cruise-runs-aground/index.html

I'm always amused by benign, softened corporate-speak. The ship "made contact with the channel bed" -- like you just gently laid your head on a goose down pillow, ahhhh. YOU RAN AGROUND! Don't be embarrassed, happens to all of us eventually, but luckily my boat isn't 164,000 tons.

Reminds me of the time when I worked for a cruise line in the eighties. Arriving in the same port as this ship the harbor was full with trash. In no time the cooling water intakes clogged up and the stern thruster overloaded. The debris was caused by heavy rainfall and mudslides.

When leaving the ship hit something in the channel which caused a 40 Ft long dent in the bottom and one propeller was damaged.
Also the stern thruster had a truck tire stuck in the blades. This all caused a few cancelled cruises and a dry dock for repairs to the propeller, shaft seal and bottom.

Egbert

One aw sh*t out weighs 1,000 atta boys

Don’t you know it!

There's probably an unemployed port captain in the Dom. Rep. right about now.

Or in jail!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom