Navigation Software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Byekurman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seawood
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I have a Samsung android tablet. Are there recommendations as to what software I should consider? Any other relative recommendations would be appreciated.

OpenCPN.
I just installed on spare laptop, downloaded charts (vector) from Maine to Key West, and installed the "sister" app "Bluetooth GPS Out" on my android phone (note 8). It is awesome! Will run an HDMI cord from laptop to new 24" monitor on bracket over the helm. Will be using the Garmin Chart plotter as back-up. The only tricky part was to connect the GPS to OpenCPN from the GPS app, NOT OpenCPN. Total cost was $1.00 for the GPS license.
Both sides come with very good step-by-step instructions.
Good luck!

We've used MX Mariner, iSailor, Plan2Nav (since replaced by Embark), and AquaMap on our Samsung Android tablets.

Of those, MX Mariner offers free NOAA raster charts for here in the U.S.

The others are vector charts, Plan2Nav/Embark being C-Map. P2N worked fine; I haven't spent much time with Embark... but I've read they incorporate Explorer Charts and that's important if you're Bahamas-bound.

iSailor is OK. No "cruising guide" add-ons.

For our purposes, AquaMap USA (with Master option) has been most useful... partly because it incorporates the USACE survey maps (very useful along the AICW), and also incporporates both Waterway Guide and ActiveCaptain markers.

Our tablet apps are for backup to our installed plotter and the plotter back-up (TimeZero) that we run on the ship's laptop.

-Chris

Ditto on AquaMap Master.
I wish I could install it on my "real" chartplotter.

I'm slowly migrating to AquaMap as my "go-to" app, from MX Mariner. I still use MX more, but AquaMap is gaining. If development of new features continues at the pace they've set, it'll probably win me over.

OpenCPN also gets a lot of use. Get the $10 "official" version; there are older versions out there for free, but not worth the effort.

I was pretty excited about Navionics at first, but it's virtually useless without a live internet connection, and a bit slow and feature-poor. The automatic routing is kind of fun, but of limited value in the real world.

Waterway Guide has an app, but again it wants to use the internet, so it's easier to just use their web site in your phone or tablet's browser. It's pretty useful and well organized, but with AquaMap integrating WG info, it might not be as necessary.

+1 for OpenCPN. I'm really impressed with it's ability to interface with my existing N2K network thru a WiFi and wired serial connection. I have it linked to AIS, controls my radar with on-screen overlay, and picks up a significant amount of my onboard sensors including magnetic compass, rudder angle, environmental, depth, speed, Etc. You can use it out of the box with a simple USB GPS dongle or build it into a complete onboard information system. You do need a working knowledge of networking and basic NMEA protocols to get into the advanced user features, but it isn't necessary to harness the basic chartplotting functions. I love open CPN and use it for primary nav with a Garmin chartplotter for a distant backup.

AA

I have a Samsung android tablet. Are there recommendations as to what software I should consider? Any other relative recommendations would be appreciated.

We have used Navionics for years. They are easy to use and have a lot of features. You install the app and get free government charts but can purchase the upgraded Navionics charts for cheap (well worth the money).
The chart display can be edited to change the colors, contours, etc so you can customize it for your preference. You can even link it directly to a lot of chartplotters.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating

I think the only way is download a few in your price range and see which one is most intuitive for you. That's true for any software actually. It's a subjective thing.

I have an ipad, but I've tried both Navionics and TZ iBoat and they both work pretty good. :thumb:

I have Navionics, AquaMaps and Furuno. I prefer AquaMaps for running the boat, Navionics for route planning and Furuno to cross check the other two. AquaMaps has the ACE survey charts and Bob323’s ICW routes as well as the Explorer charts for the Bahamas. Navionics has automatic route planning which is very useful when I am trying to make multi day estimates of travel times or distances. It is also useful for determining when I will reach a given bridge along the way to allow me to adjust my speed so as not to wait for a scheduled opening.

I have Navionics, AquaMaps and Furuno. I prefer AquaMaps for running the boat, Navionics for route planning and Furuno to cross check the other two. AquaMaps has the ACE survey charts and Bob323’s ICW routes as well as the Explorer charts for the Bahamas. Navionics has automatic route planning which is very useful when I am trying to make multi day estimates of travel times or distances. It is also useful for determining when I will reach a given bridge along the way to allow me to adjust my speed so as not to wait for a scheduled opening.

Please explain AquaMaps & Bobs323’s. What is that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom