Naiad multi sea II conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liberty2015

Vessel Name
Liberty
Vessel Make
57 foot Halvorsen
Hi,

Currently we have the Naiad 252 stabiliser system installed in the vessel since launch in 1990. I am interested in doing the conversion to the new Multi sea system offered by Naiad.

I am interested if anyone on the forum has already completed this and what were the benefits , cost , and work involved in doing so .

chris D

Liberty Sydney Australia.

Chris
My MultiSea II is just over 3 years old, and has worked flawlessly (and brilliantly) in that time. I'm about to get my first service - scheduled seal replacement after 3 years. I also run the 252's.

A dock neighbour from some time back has a Nordhavn 62 with Naiad's. Like you, he was looking to upgrade the controller. I don't remember everything he was telling me but in the end I don't believe he went ahead with the conversion. The cost was fairly substantial, which you may already know. In Mark's case though, he needed to take the boat out of the country or pay GST/import duty, so he moved the boat to New Zealand, while his wife is in Brisbane and he mostly works in San Francisco. They do a lot of commuting! Their boat, which is in fabulous condition after all the upgrades Mark completed, is now listed for sale which is why I think the controller conversion has been delayed at the very least.

Some other discussions here on TF have talked about the Datum controller, which apparently is a further improvement on the MultiSea II. You might want to check that out as well.

The Datum is the way to go if you can swing it.

But the MulitSea is a great upgrade as well.

There is a bit of work involved in changing over. Running wires and such.

Hard to say what the cost would be without know what kind of access you have to run wires.

Hi Chris,

Love your boat, saw her regularly in the late 90's when she used to live at Bobbin Head and before that Akuna Bay (and when I used to live in Sydney).

Capt Bill, as ever, is correct I think. If upgrading Naiad then the optimum is go with the new Datum system not MultiSea II. I feel if you are going to pay for an upgrade, then why not get the latest/most effective?

I am shortly installing Naiad 252s with Datum controller on my GB46 (ordered, arrive in Brisbane mid Dec). On a new install the cost of Datum vs MultiSea II was an extra AUD$4k, if that helps.

The local Brisbane dealer for Naiad is Seairland and they have been very efficient IMHO - you could give them a call and compare prices with the Sydney dealer?

H.

Thanks everyone,

I will start to look more seriously at the upgrade now. I believe the new system really makes a huge difference in a following sea, and assists with steering the vessel straighter?
I had spoken to the Brisbane company some 15 months ago , but never carried on with it , anyway the time is near.

We are currently constructing and fitting a Hydraulic platform on the stern, to carry a new Brig 380 with a Honda 50 four stroke , so need to finish this project first, hopefully before Christmas.

Chris
I find that in a following sea I am pushed around a bit in terms of heading, BUT the Naiad's keep the boat mostly quite flat, with minimal rolling. Of course it can get towards a broach and that is when there is some roll despite the Naiad's. I have not really got into the autopilot settings in detail. I think they would have much greater influence, and it is something I probably should look into a bit further.

I hope your hydraulic platform can be lifted well clear of the water. Following seas are troublesome enough with normal swim platform. But a platform big enough for a tender will be much wider, and the effects will be amplified. Hopefully your platform is just for convenience in benign conditions, and you can raise the new platform well out of the way (and store the tender elsewhere or tow it) when conditions are poor.

Hi Brian,

The platform is designed to be lifted 750 mm above the water when travelling which is getting up near the gunnel height in the cockpit. It has quite a lot of pressure relief drains/slots in the platform itself. I had considered the following sea's issue and observed the stern in some large following sea's whilst crossing Bass Strait and down the west coast of Tassie , so confident it should not be an issue. One benefit will be having the weight down lower in the vessel instead of high up on the flybridge as we currently have.
As 90 % of our cruising is coastal on the East Coast of Aus , we can select the weather we travel in fairly carefully ,so as to avoid East coast lows. , 6 metre swells 4 metre sea, etc.

Chris D

I think you'll love you new platform. Not only does it make dealing with the tender a breeze, it's great for swimming and lounging on when it part way down into the water.

Hi Brian,

The platform is designed to be lifted 750 mm above the water when travelling which is getting up near the gunnel height in the cockpit. It has quite a lot of pressure relief drains/slots in the platform itself. I had considered the following sea's issue and observed the stern in some large following sea's whilst crossing Bass Strait and down the west coast of Tassie , so confident it should not be an issue. One benefit will be having the weight down lower in the vessel instead of high up on the flybridge as we currently have.
As 90 % of our cruising is coastal on the East Coast of Aus , we can select the weather we travel in fairly carefully ,so as to avoid East coast lows. , 6 metre swells 4 metre sea, etc.

Chris D
Great, sounds like you have things covered off!

Back
Top Bottom