Medical Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mila Vera

Veteran Member
All boaters who have traveled to Canada,

We will be cruising to Canada this May 2022. My biggest concern is I have a

pre-existing medical condition and need information in policy(ies) regarding the use of health insurance(s) while visiting Canada.

Thanks,
first mate
Mila Vera

I think that question is probably best addressed to your insurance carrier, but I found a general answer from Forbes:

“Even though Canada is just over the border, your U.S. health insurance plan will not be accepted there unless it specifically provides global coverage. American Medicare also is not accepted in Canada.Nov 8, 2021”

There are policies available for this type of cover (according to Google) :-D

Last edited:
There are a couple of ways to go. First, examine your insurance. Many medicare supplements have some travel coverage. So do some other policies. However, it also may have exclusions that render it less helpful.

The other way is to get a travel policy. We recently discussed many that are offered, in another thread.

Besides health care coverage make sure you have evacuation insurance that will get you back to the states.

Later,
Dan

In Canada a few years back I declined a GP practice in Banff wanting $250 for a simple consult. On the recommendation of a hotel I saw a pharmacist,in Canada they are permitted to prescribe,cost was the prescription dispensing fees. You need insurance. Travel cover might work but could be pricey depending on length of cruise and personal risk assessment.

Back
Top Bottom