MasterShunt 500 help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I have a CombiMaster inverter/charger, with MasterShunt 500 and EasyView display.
The CombiMaster was recovered from polarity cross damage and it is inverting fine.
The EasyView shows the CombiMaster, but not the MasterShunt. It shows it Offline.
The Mastervolt software does not show it either.
The LEDs on the MasterShunt are not on. No light. The current is going through the 350A fuse and there is voltage on both sides.
I suspect the small electric board at the shunt section inside has some damage.
Any suggestions? See photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 29
I tried to contact Mastervolt, but did not receive any reply.

Best to get Mastervolt help from a Mastervolt dealer than Hq. I have worked with Cay electronics in Newport and have ways received good support. That said, the LED blinks to show network activity and alarms, if no alarm event, the lack of blinking may indicate you have a network issue with how it is connected, or a terminator is missing at the end, or whatever.

Did you had consultation, or you sent your device to them for troubleshooting?

I don't know if the shunt has network issues. It is possible. I do see my other devices on the network in the EasyView and PC software MasterBus. All my devices are properly terminated.

Hi, as to Cay electronics, just talked on the phone in some cases. They have also done some upgrades for me. I would think you could call whichever Mastervolt dealer is closest to you.
If all your other devices show up on the easy view, then likely not a network problem. I was hoping for something simple. A cable or connector issue would be worth considering. If the shunt is on the end of a string is the empty Cat6 socket occupied by a terminator?

It has to be the shunt. Everything else is normal. Yes, both ends are terminated.

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 30
I don’t see a terminator on the masscombi, also try plugging the shunt directly into the easy5. You need terminators on both ends of the network.

I did, but did not make any difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 22
Can you draw a sketch of how the devices are all interconnected for the master bus, including where there are terminators. Then take a picture of it and post here. That would answer a lot of questions.

There is nothing to draw. Only three devices are involved.

- MasterShunt has +/- DC cables on the battery side from the battery busbar. Network cable to the EasyView. Terminator. Fuse 350A on the + cable.
- EasyView has network cable from CombiMaster and Shunt.
- CombiMaster has +/- DC cables from the panel side of the Shunt. Network cable to EasyView. Terminator.

Inverter works providing AC voltage to the distribution panel.
This setup is only for AC inverting. No shore-power is involved.
Batteries are charged by solar farm.
DC current can be measured on both sides of the MasterShunt.

It might just be the camera angle, but the photo of the back side of the easy view looks like one of the two cables isn’t seated all the way. Might be worth checking.

if the master adjust software doesn’t see it then it’s not on the network. Is there a fuse somewhere on the shunt. Power comes from the rj45 connects. Call the folks at mastervolt today they can get you going. Not sure about your first comment and the polarity recovery. Guess it was on the input side which does not seem to be connected. Not sure how it could affect your shunt but it could be possible.

It might just be the camera angle, but the photo of the back side of the easy view looks like one of the two cables isn’t seated all the way. Might be worth checking.
It is just the angle. The CombiMaster shows up in the EasyView and that is its cable.

if the master adjust software doesn’t see it then it’s not on the network. Is there a fuse somewhere on the shunt.
That is what I was thinking too. I might need to take apart the shunt, so I can see the electric board completely.

Just being picky but the photo #1 shows the cable being held by the individual wires.
That cable should be held by the insulation , not the individual wires.

This is a temp installation, not in use.

Back
Top Bottom