Marco to Matecumbe Key

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Sarasota

Hello all, I’m forced to go around the keys due to the bridge closure a the Okeechobee bridge closure on the east coast. Leaving from Marco. Has anyone gone directly to Matecumbe key. I’m not interested in Marathon. Just trying to make up a little time going around.
I have a 44 Hertage. Draws 4 ft. Navionics shows a route. I am hoping to find someone that took it.
We would like to jus Anchor when we get there.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
John.

Been several years since I went that route, Sprigger Bank to Old Dan, more to Long Key than Matecumbe. Did it on my olde Mainship a couple times, draws 3ft.
Depth is more wind driven than tide, soundings are for prevailing wind E/SE, so 4 ft "should" be OK. Bottom is almost all soft mud. Channel is well marked but have your binoculars handy because they are spread out.
If the wind is prevailing anchoring anywhere in the lee of any island or bank should be OK. Up past Steamboat Channel is a popular anchorage but its a ways up to Islamorada near the Lorelei Restaurant. The waters around Indian and Lignumvitae Key are State Park, that's the area between Matecumbe and Islamorada.

:socool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom