Looking for similar to Defever 53

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Canuck

I am looking for a solid boat 20 years old or newer similar in design to the 53 Defever POC on the east coast. The actual Defevers I see are all 30+ years old.
Budget is max 350.
Does anyone have ideas of what I might search for?

Thanks all.

What features that are particular to the 53 POC are you looking for?

I like the 'classic design', pilot house the space/height of the engine room, the range and economy of some of the ones I have looked at. At this stage of my life, I simply don't want to deal with significantly high engine hours and a 35 year old hull. The previous owners maintenance habits are important to me but my research has only come up with boats beyond my budget such as Fleming and Grand Alaskan, both of which have similar qualities to what I like.

I don't think you'll find a 2000's flush deck 53-footer in the $350k range at least from what I've seen out there. I looked at a 51 POC here in San Diego and it is a very appealing vessel though less tankage and more powerful engines than I'd personally want.

A "35 year old hull" is just as good as a 20 year old hull, and the systems in side could well be better. Similarly, 20YO vs 35YO engines is no guarantee of superiority. 20 years is plenty of time for everything on the boat to break. I'd be looking at everything on the market in that size range, hoping to find something that's been well cared for and refit by the P.O.

thanks, I agree that anything can still go wrong with 20 Y/O vs 35 Y/O however, the older the boat it seems, the more owners it may have had and everything I have inquired about does not have all the history, usually only the previous owner and maybe one earlier than that. Also, I have found the older ones have 4500 - 6000 hours on them that tells me a refit is likely to be needed.
I have kept $$ aside in my budget for likely needed upgrades etc. but don't want to walk into a major project from the get go.
I hear you though, I have been looking at most everything on the east coast
Appreciate your input.
Cheers

thanks, I agree that anything can still go wrong with 20 Y/O vs 35 Y/O however, the older the boat it seems, the more owners it may have had and everything I have inquired about does not have all the history, usually only the previous owner and maybe one earlier than that. Also, I have found the older ones have 4500 - 6000 hours on them that tells me a refit is likely to be needed.

I have kept $$ aside in my budget for likely needed upgrades etc. but don't want to walk into a major project from the get go.

I hear you though, I have been looking at most everything on the east coast

Appreciate your input.

Cheers
I hope you remain active on TF - I'll be curious to see what you do and how your search evolves.

If I were to sell Weebles, a 1970 36-footer in well above average condition, I would find a broker who has a decent amount of foot traffic (if that's even possible these days), perhaps one that specializes in trawler like boats such as Nordic Tug. Thinking would be that perhaps a buyer would be persuaded but only if they saw Weebles in person.

My first large boat, a 1975 Uniflite 42 ACMY, was older than I considered but I didn't know the age when I first saw her. She was owned by a pilot who died of cancer and had upgraded her nicely during the 7-ish years of ownership. Had I not seen her at the sales dock, I doubt I would have bothered.

My point being is your search may involve a bit more shoe-leather than normal. Hatteras comes to mind and they have nice engine rooms. Condition runs the gamut though. Cheoy Lee is another boat in that size range. Either of these will be older, but there are some that are in very good condition.

Final observation is I'd include the upper Midwest in a search. These boats tend to be stored in a heated barn for half the year and it shows. Often time capsules in well above average condition, especially compared to Florida boats.

Do stay in touch.

Peter

Old Canuck
Grand Yachts out of Sidney BC has a very nice DF 50 coming to the market anytime. It is priced well above your budget but looking at it will provide some context as to your goals vs reality.

Really good DFs are much in demand and few in number. Contact the DF Cruisers Club for vessels that might be available but not listed. The Curtis Stokes brokerage may well know of something - DFs are their thing.

Back
Top Bottom