Lead times on generators these days? Reviews on Phasor Generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLKramer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Winterlude
Vessel Make
2005 Hampton 558
Hi All, my 17 KW Onan generator with 7,000 finally decided to quit and I need to replace it. It seems that I could be waiting for a year for some brands.

Anyone have any ideas of lead times or brands that are available sooner?
I heard that Phasor marine generator is available sooner? Anyone have experience or know about the brand Phasor?

Thanks to all!!

No personal experience, but I've heard good things about Phasor. They use Kubota engines and fairly simple control systems much like a lot of the Northern Lights models.

I used to have a 3.5 kW NextGen which is similar to the Phasor. The engine based on the Kubota runs at 2,800 rpm and the generator end runs at 3,600 from a cogged drive belt. They also make a 5 kW, not sure about 7.

Both the NextGen and the Phasor are considered light duty since they run at the higher rpm with a smaller displacement block. The Northern Lights which runs at 1,800 rpm and others like it are considered heavier duty.

I liked the NextGen and it worked well for me.

David

I used to have a 3.5 kW NextGen which is similar to the Phasor. The engine based on the Kubota runs at 2,800 rpm and the generator end runs at 3,600 from a cogged drive belt. They also make a 5 kW, not sure about 7.

Both the NextGen and the Phasor are considered light duty since they run at the higher rpm with a smaller displacement block. The Northern Lights which runs at 1,800 rpm and others like it are considered heavier duty.

I liked the NextGen and it worked well for me.

David

The bigger Phasor units (basically everything except the 3.5kw) are 1800 rpm. Only the 3.5 runs at 2800 and is belt drive like the NexGen.

I talked to Alan at Phasor today about an 8KW and he said he could have it to me in 3.5 weeks. They look to be good, dependable units and they have a 5-year warranty.

Thanks. I heard that too. I ordered a larger Phasor unit and expect it mid July. They look good.

Have 10 reliable years service on 8.5kw phaser. Especially like that control system has no electronic components or complicated relay circuits. Parts are available. Three basic functional groups: 1. Kubota Diesel engine, 2. Generator, 3. Phasor marinized engine components including manifold/cooler, exhaust elbow, and controls. One tip: replace manifold zinc frequently (as should be done with any brand generator or engine).

Thanks. I'm liking what I hear! Glad I ordered it.

How's your new generator? All good I hope.
Just saying, I've had both 6.5 and currently 8kw pancake Phasor . Alan is great to deal with. They both replaced Onan units. I installed both, simple, stupid to install. Simple units to service and maintain. Mine are all mechanical, no computer crap. Current 8kw has 1000 hrs on it, all it does is make electric, nice and smooth current. Yep 1800 rpm. Quiet as can be also.

My Phaser generator was installed couple months ago. I know have about 200 hours on it in the Bahamas. So far, so good. It's not any quieter in the boat but apparently is on the outside from other boaters perspective.

I have remote starting panel in the pilot house which is handy but if I start it at the generator and I turn it off at the remote switch it will stop the generator but the fuel pump keeps running and the hour meter, too. Installer and manufacturer say that's the way it is set up. Doesn't make sense to me as I would like to start it when I check the oil, close it up and then turn it off at the remote location.

Any ideas on that issue?

I mostly start mine at the remote panel , which is at my electrical panel and shore power/gen selector switch. No reason for me to start mine at the unit, only do it after oil change , impeller change , service work etc. just to make sure things are good. The switches on the generator usually will over ride any other remote switches, hence your problem. If I were you , I would just start it from the remote panel. Leave it as it's set up from Phasor. Save your ears from the motor/generator noise to.

That setup seems strange to me. In most setups I'm familiar with (including my prehistoric Onan) the remote start/stop switch and the one on the genset should function the same. On my unit they're effectively wired in parallel (and both are just a momentary start/stop, nothing that stays in position when running or stopped). So it doesn't matter where the unit is started or stopped from, it behaves the same regardless.

My old Onan worked properly from either switch. This Phasor does not. Factory did not give clear explanation as to why this setup. But I only start and stop at Genny at oil change time like you described. Otherwise it's up at the remote for start and stopping.

It was discovered because I started the generator at the unit, turned it off at the remote, and when I went back to it couple days later the fuel pump was clicking away and the hour meter had about 60 hours more than the first 5 hours that I had from the initial 5 hours of running after install.

Old Onans did not have an electric fuel pump. The Phasor has an electric fuel pump, the ''Fuacet" I think it's called. Anyway, that could be why it's different. The run switch on the Phasor energizes the pump so it will run. Pump /run switch off, she shuts down. That's how mine seems to work. Then again I never run my Gen. from the unit switch panel.

Old Onans did not have an electric fuel pump. The Phasor has an electric fuel pump, the ''Fuacet" I think it's called. Anyway, that could be why it's different. The run switch on the Phasor energizes the pump so it will run. Pump /run switch off, she shuts down. That's how mine seems to work. Then again I never run my Gen. from the unit switch panel.

My old (gas) Onan has an electric fuel pump. The fuel pump (and ignition) is powered by the cranking circuit while you're holding the start button (at either switch). Holding the switch to start also bypasses the safety shutdowns. Once the unit starts and voltage output comes up, the "run" relay latches on which powers the fuel pump (and ignition) as well as cutting out the starter to prevent over-cranking. At that point you can release the start switch and it stays running, now with the safety shutdowns in the circuit (on a normal start you hold the start switch until the engine is up to full speed, if you release too early it may not have enough voltage to latch the run relay or oil pressure to close the safety switch yet and will shut down when the button is released).

For shutdown, you hold the switch to "stop" until it stops completely. That cuts ignition on the gas units or moves the fuel cutoff solenoid to stop on the diesel Onans. Once it spins down, the run relay un-latches which cuts power to the fuel pump and everything is powered off once you release the stop switch.

I don't see why Phasor would have designed their control system in a way that the 2 start/stop switches aren't equivalent unless they're not just a momentary toggle and something gets moved to an actual "run" position and then has to be moved out of that position at shutdown.

I have about 45 hours on a new Phasor 8.5kw. I have plenty of space where it’s mounted, so Alan did one for me with a Stamford Newage electrical end, which is a little longer. Al good so far— no complaints. The installation was very easy. It replaced an Onan 8kw I had. The 1800rpm kubota hums right along.

My old Onan worked properly from either switch. This Phasor does not. Factory did not give clear explanation as to why this setup. But I only start and stop at Genny at oil change time like you described. Otherwise it's up at the remote for start and stopping.

It was discovered because I started the generator at the unit, turned it off at the remote, and when I went back to it couple days later the fuel pump was clicking away and the hour meter had about 60 hours more than the first 5 hours that I had from the initial 5 hours of running after install.

Methinks you need to have a word with your installer. . . . :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom