Is "Alternator" the new "Weather?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
20 years ago when I was delivering and thinking about taking the trip were now taking, "Weather" was the dominate topic with cruisers. Dominated every conversation.

Now, the dominant topic is charging related with "alternator" having top honors. Sail, power, all of them. On the morning VHF Nets to the online forums for Panama Posse and Baja Ha Ha, charging, batteries, and controls seem to be a constant topic.

These are generally folks who prepared well, and often have well found boats. Has me wondering.....

Peter

The weather forecasting certainly has gotten reliable. That would remove it as a top topic.
How many cruisers left that go outside and look at the sky to forecast the day.

Hot topics tend to "alternate".

We all have a lot more crap now that requires electricity.
Not just hard-wired on-board stuff but need to charge cell phones and ipads and laptops now too.
The more electronics one has the more they become dependent on them.
Not saying that is a bad thing but just an observation.
For years I had no refrigeration - just an ice box.
When the ice was gone it was on to panty supplies.
For years only had small battery powered hand held garmin gps that only got turned on to confirm DR positioning and was then shut down again to save the battery life as only had limited sleeve of backup AAA batteries on board.
Now we have all the amenities of home and the nav aids of a commercial ship.
Humans have become increasingly enamored with and dependent on electrical contraptions.

The weather forecasting certainly has gotten reliable. That would remove it as a top topic.
How many cruisers left that go outside and look at the sky to forecast the day.

Weather forecasting has indeed improved but I think more influential is the simplified interface via apps like Windy, Buoyweather, and PredidtWind. Before my boating break that started almost 20byears ago, cruiser weather forecasting meant interpreting synoptic weather charts. Just getting them was a challenge (when was the last time you heard the term GRIB?).. These days, weather conversation is reduced to model-shopping. Someone saying how the European Model is more accurate than the GFS model. In their mind they've become a meteorologist when all they've done is toggled a button on an App. Seriously, does anyone really believe a NOAA forecast model would routinely exclude data that consistently proved more accurate? I've been a bit snarky but it's not that hard to get decent weather forecasting these days. Especially with Starlink on so many boats.

Peter

Last edited:
We all have a lot more crap now that requires electricity.

There is certainly more stuff aboard cruising boats. A LOT more. Granted it was a very nice Nordhavn 63, but we watched the Super Bowl while afloat.

DC system design to support AC loads is a frequent topic on TF and CF. But I think the issue is twofold. First, the DC system on a boat cannot be fully stress-tested prior to descending into lthe heat and humidity of low latitude cruising. I'd guess the energy demand coming down from US and Canada doubles. Plus the engine room temps are much higher so the equipment itself is in a more difficult environment.

Second. The system design based on Victron and Balmar is relatively exotic. The components are not available in far flung places so there is zero support knowledge. And many cruisers - myself included - do not understand their system even if they themselves designed and installed it. Errant programming configuration can lead to what appears to be an equipment fault when it's really just a fat-fingered input parameter or dip switch.

And then there's the issue of test duration. A system might perform well for a week, but start to falter when relied upon indefinitely.

All I can tell you is I've listened to dozens of VHF Net calls, participated in two different rally organizations each with over 100 boats (Baja Ha Ha and Panama Posse). Met dozens of fellow cruisers at docks and anchorages. The #1 issue these days is DC system related.

Peter

Last edited:
Now days 99% of cruiser have looked up the weather so believe they understand it and have no reason to discuss it. Meanwhile that "other stuff" is a mystery.

Peter
The same has infected TF. Most of us can understand the basics of electrics by doing nothing more than a quick on line search thus giving rise to gizmo threads and topics.

Weather knowledge, mechanical expertise, spare parts, tools, health and safety, chart reading and other essential stuff may get “talking” short shrift but can doom a cruise quite quickly if one’s not prepared.

Me, I’d much rather talk about gizmos than what is in the ditch bag or first aid supplies. But if the sheet hits the fan those non popular topics better be answerable.

Bob Senter (aka the infamous "Lugger Bob"though he's worked with Northern Lights for many years) has an early 1980's era Roughwater 37, a Monk design. Bob doesn't cruise but he loves the idea of setting up his boat to cruise. He's really big on old-school electrics: AGMs with large-frame Leece-Neville alternator. While I'd miss the capacity of my 600Ah LFP battery bank, he makes a strong case for simple, easily sourced system that any shade-tree mechanic can work on. Would not be giving up much.

For cruisers, selecting systems based on simplicity makes a lot of sense but its tough to ignore the allure of cool stuff. Sure, a Spectra watermaker is efficient, but the Seawater Pro component system is simple and reliable albeit requires a fair amount of manul intervention.

Weebles is running well, though there is always a list of stuff to do. In my other thread, I've been working on a mild non-debilitating inverter issue. Somewhere I need to find a replacement heating element for our water heater. I need to replace gaskets on our refrigerator. Still need to calibrate the Satellite compass. Endless list.....

Peter

Attachments

• Roughwater 37.jpg
    Roughwater 37.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 18
Yes. and should probably correct my own typo lest folks get the wrong idea:
P-A-N-T-R-Y supplies, i.e. dry goods and such.
Read all the books by Moitessier, Hal Roth, Vito Dumas and others.
Our species has gotten soft over the years with advancements in technolgy.
Dumas spent so many days sailing in 40kts that it just became normal - stuffed newspaper down his foul weather gear for insulation.
Am not suggesting we revert to those days, but being able to deal as such if the situation arose is a survial advantage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom