How to protect the bow from the anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacques Raoul

Vessel Name
DELFI
Vessel Make
MAINSHIP 34T 1979
When raising the anchor, rarely I scratch the bow gelcoat. But that makes me sad, the scratchs are adding up. I see some boat with a triangle shape rubber protection pad, like the Ranger Tug, I like this. Can we buy something like this on the open market? Other than being carefull, what do you do to avoid scratching the gelcoat?

I see some boat with a triangle shape rubber protection pad, like the Ranger Tug, I like this. Can we buy something like this on the open market?
The answer is yes! Just Google "Bow protector" and you will get a ton of ideas and sources. (Click on "images" at the top of the page.)

Last edited:
I plan to do this to my bow, all it takes is one good smack no matter how careful you are hauling your anchor...

When raising the anchor, rarely I scratch the bow gelcoat. But that makes me sad, the scratchs are adding up. I see some boat with a triangle shape rubber protection pad, like the Ranger Tug, I like this. Can we buy something like this on the open market? Other than being carefull, what do you do to avoid scratching the gelcoat?

Another approach is to have someone fabricate something in stainless steel. I think for your particular boat that would look better.

Well, I think the best defense is a decent bow pulpit to keep the anchor away from the bow. Some boats have a stainless steel protection plate on the bow underneath the anchor, but that would be expensive to retrofit.

Never seen one of the rubber bow protectors, but maybe they would work.

David

But David the most are well motivated to minimize the length of the pulput.

A number of thin Teak boards on each side of the bow (like many fishboats) is quite elegant on fishboats so may be on rec-trawlers too. And uppon damage one can fairly easily replace one board. About 1” wide.

I agree tho I’ve never seen a rubber protector either. I suspect one has seen UHMW plates that may have looked like rubber ... but not.
And UHMW is a very good material for this. Not stylish enough for some though. One could make strips like w teak for quick and easy repairability.

Last edited:
Nordic Tug 26

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 19
Doug,
Very functional and not bad looking.
I like it. And in this case very easy to do as the “boards” are not tapered.

It would be easy to taper the boards, make a paper template and cut with a skil saw, then route the edges to contour them...

Back
Top Bottom