How far south would you travel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just in case, and not being pedantic at all, but helping with an error many many make. So you can talk the right lingo! :)

The Bahamas and Turks and Caicos are actually in the North Atlantic and not in the Caribbean!

Keep us updated on your plans.

Thanks. Its not pedantic, its educational!

Thanks.

We used a beater inflatable dink with a beater outboard. Thieves left it alone!!

To the OP, if this is your first cruise with that boat, consider this a bit of a shakedown trip. You will learn a lot about the boat and the stuff you want on board, and the stuff you want to change on the boat.

Keep itinerary loose and flexible. Stay in places you enjoy, move on if you do not.

But don't let a certain destination define the purpose of the trip.

Im flexible about most things. I have been in this boat straight from NYC all the way to nantucket in one leg, no autopilot. (Which was miserable a bit). Been from the cape own to jersey in her too.

I have autopilot now, so the ling runs will be easier

I soent all summer redoing all the running gear. (Motor mounts, tranny service, new shaft, props stuffing boxes, fuel lines, etc...... just about everything replaceable and took her on some shake down cruises. She runs great.

Thanks

Didn’t the OP say this was a down east style boat? Planning on two weeks offshore in the winter with cold fronts whipping through sounds......unsafe.

I get popping offshore when the weather is good and ducking back inside when it’s not, but planning on the entire two weeks to be decent weather for offshore seems unrealistic.

I fished year round with my pop. I actually have kept me boat in year round for the last decade. (I have take trips from city to block island each winter. Last year i went in some snotty weather (noreaster) to really get a sense of how she held up in weather.

Just want to run smooth and lean to get out of the cold.

Thx

Didn’t the OP say this was a down east style boat? Planning on two weeks offshore in the winter with cold fronts whipping through sounds......unsafe.

I get popping offshore when the weather is good and ducking back inside when it’s not, but planning on the entire two weeks to be decent weather for offshore seems unrealistic.

I fished year round with my pop. I actually have kept my boat in year round for the last decade. (I have take trips from city to block island each winter. Last year i went in some snotty weather (noreaster actually) to really get a sense of how she held up in weather.

Im just gonna duck in for fuel.

Just want to run smooth and lean to get out of the cold. Ill relax when the temps are above 60, lol.

Thx

I fished year round with my pop. I actually have kept my boat in year round for the last decade. (I have take trips from city to block island each winter. Last year i went in some snotty weather (noreaster actually) to really get a sense of how she held up in weather.

Im just gonna duck in for fuel.

Just want to run smooth and lean to get out of the cold. Ill relax when the temps are above 60, lol.

Thx

No offense meant. I’m quite sure you are a way more hearty captain than I am, and you obviously know those northern waters.

So your plan is to run outside and duck in when needed?

No offense meant. I’m quite sure you are a way more hearty captain than I am, and you obviously know those northern waters.

So your plan is to run outside and duck in when needed?

No offense taken man! Lol.

Im loving all this feedback. Im smart enough to know when I don't know something, and appreciate everyones feedback.

Thanks again to the group. I was delusional thinking about going far south past the Caribbean. This gave me some perspective.

I figure I have a month or so before I get freed up, so I have a little time to prep. (Mentally and navigation etc....i feel boat is ready to go.)

Last edited:
Cruised from Chesapeake to Grenada last year. We found all locations (virtually every Caribbean Island) very safe. 18 months and no problems anywhere.

We did not go further south than Grenada due to problems in Venezuela and some piracy off their coast.

Use common sense and you will be fine. For example, US Embassy cautions tourists in Nassau to avoid night in some of the seedy neighborhoods.

Stick to the east coast of the US & the Keys. Not only is it safer from a security perspective, but you'll have much less hassle from 'rona virus restrictions. Also, US small businesses need your patronage. Spend your dollars in the US!

Perhaps to bring a little realism to this thread. According to Alisske's other posts he has a 26' "Down East" with a Ford Lehman 120. The nearest I have been to this type of boat is the Grover 26 (with a FL 120) An outboard powered Grover 26 crossed the Atlantic:https://algroversmarine.com/our-story/transatlantic-journey/ --and I am sure that there are other beamier 26 footers with higher freeboard with the FL 120. Going coastal along the NE in winter certainly can be a challenge, but doing an offshore passage of hundreds of miles is also a major challenge, of a different nature.

Leaving in Feb. still has some major weather challenges, especially up North. I know folks in 45' to 55' ocean crossing vessels who put off coming back from Bahamas in Feb and March. It can get pretty sporty with wind against the Gulf Stream even in May...I have personally run into 50 knots against the Gulf Stream off the Carolinas in May. (Keep closer to shore to avoid Gulf Stream)

We don't know what the range of this 26' boat is, as well as other design features. These may well be important in the routing. What weather sources to use--especially if going offshore? Are tanks fully cleaned/fuel polished? Bypass filtration system, so filters can be changed when under way? The list goes on.

I would suggest running down the coast or thru LI sound to Delaware bay and then the Chesapeake and ICW South. When you get to West Palm Beach, then consider going to the Bahamas--or down into the keys. After a few weeks cruising this type of area--then consider if you want to under take the "Passages South". From T & C to Dominica, PR and then to St. Thomas--and South. I don't remember seeing any 26' down east type of boats in the times I have been in these areas--but it can be done...carefully...

Keep us all in the "loop" about your adventures..

We have been all over the Bahamas from Florida. Feel safer there than Biscayne Bay (Miami) with the exception of Nassau. There we stay at Nassau Harbor Club in order to pick up fresh groceries, and bribe the overnight security guard with milkshakes from the DQ across the street to keep an eye on us.
I'm told Lucaya now has issues with theft from boats, and like others have pointed out, dinghies.

A contrarian option.....
Is your period of time flexible ?....ie: Could you go from May to Aug/Sept ?? Since you seem to have traveled south quite a bit, and have security concerns; you could try the Down East Loop. ( up to Albany, over to Lake Ontario, up the St. Lawrence, around Nova Scotia and south back to NY)

It would give you endless options of places to explore, only one Customs/Border crossing and aleviate all safety concerns.

https://www.passagemaker.com/downeastloop/down-east-loop

If she was clean shaving,all the way down

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom