Hour meters not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrentwoodBayliner

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bonita Rose
Vessel Make
1981 Bayliner 3270
Question for the TF electrical gurus..

I recently discovered that BOTH of the Datcon hour meters on my 1981 Bayliner 3270 were not moving. They were working when I bought the boat, but no more..

Not sure when they stopped, and many upgrades have happened since then. They probably stopped together, at the same time.

My multi-meter shows 0 volts across the terminals on the back of the hour meters with the ignition key turned off, and 12 volts across the terminals with the key turned on. Same on both sides.

So they both seem to be getting appropriate power at the appropriate time, but they don't move.

They both have a 1979 manufacturing date on the cases, so they are probably the original factory hour meters. I also note the terminals are not labelled + and -. Is that because it doesn't matter?

I understand there are electrical components inside the meter which could have been damaged (diodes?). If so, what electrical error could I have created to cause that? On both sides?

Fixable, or replace?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

Question for the TF electrical gurus..

I recently discovered that BOTH of the Datcon hour meters on my 1981 Bayliner 3270 were not moving. They were working when I bought the boat, but no more..

Not sure when they stopped, and many upgrades have happened since then. They probably stopped together, at the same time.

My multi-meter shows 0 volts across the terminals on the back of the hour meters with the ignition key turned off, and 12 volts across the terminals with the key turned on. Same on both sides.

So they both seem to be getting appropriate power at the appropriate time, but they don't move.

They both have a 1979 manufacturing date on the cases, so they are probably the original factory hour meters. I also note the terminals are not labelled + and -. Is that because it doesn't matter?

I understand there are electrical components inside the meter which could have been damaged (diodes?). If so, what electrical error could I have created to cause that? On both sides?

Fixable, or replace?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

Sorry if this seems obvious but have you checked the connection of the ground?
HOLLYWOOD

If you have 12 volts across the terminals when the ignition is on, andvare not working, I would say they have lived their life span.

Years ago I quit replacing them on my tractor. According to the counter guy at my supplier, they quit working more often than any other instrument. Thirty years ago they would set me back $80 each which at the time was almost two hours charge out time for the machine.

Update from the OP..

In order to eliminate any possibility that wiring issues could be the culprit, I have removed the hour meters and hooked them up to a 12-volt battery at home. No movement.

So several questions remain..
1. could I have done something accidentally to cause two hour meters to stop working? Are there internal parts that can be damaged with bad current..?
2. what to replace them with? - they are Datcon mechanical meters w/2" hole. Many of the Amazon options have terrible reviews, failing far sooner than these current ones. Has anyone tried the 'digital' options (no moving parts)?

On my old boat I used these in various applications...

Searon 2" Digital Hour Meter 110V 120V 220V 230V AC for Generator ATV Lawn Mower Chainsaw Compressor Tiller Chipper https://a.co/d/1UPDofr

Sierra International 56966P Hourmeter, Round https://a.co/d/4VVHYJ7

Bosch SP0F000060 2" Digital Hour Meter https://a.co/d/9tQwMvI

On my new boat, I have it built into the tachs...
https://www.westmarine.com/sierra-l...hourmeter-diesel-magnetic-pickup-5344387.html

(And the genset has it built into the controller).

All work fine.

Back
Top Bottom