Honda Generator Recall: Saltwater Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FACT: Spade anchors may hold better than a rope tied around a rock.

(Trying to get grumpy to both agree and then disagree 10 posts later)

FACT: Spade anchors may hold better than a rope tied around a rock.

(Trying to get grumpy to both agree and then disagree 10 posts later)

Doesn't it rather depend on the size of the rope and the size of the rock?!?:whistling:

We carry a 2000 Honda Generator for backup and its proved to be useful. Following mfg's maintenance schedule, and using CO detectors plus common sense when operating mediates associated risks.

Well not surprisingly the is got a bit off track. My intent was to just give a heads up to those who specifically have one of the recalled generators, since there is some popularity here overall. I'm personally not a fan of using them on a boat, but so what.

Thanks for posting the recall....

Any pertinent recalls should be welcome as many missed the Kidde Fire Extinguisher one.

Thanks for posting the recall....

Any pertinent recalls should be welcome as many missed the Kidde Fire Extinguisher one.

Yup, the only reason I found out about the Kidde recall was because someone posted about it in the RV forum!

We're boatless at present, only have a "land yacht", but looking . . . I would have said actively, but in today's state of affairs, it would be pretty difficult to offer on/follow through on a purchase for a boat.

Back to Honda generators. We currently have two EU-2000's, one is a "i" model, the other the "ic" model. Both left over from when we had a travel trailer. When and if we get a boat, having an onboard diesel genny is on the list of "must haves", but I can see where there might be a need for a portable generator as a backup. Stored without fuel, in a well ventilated compartment (probably on the fly bridge). We had a friend in Hawaii who was cruising and had their generator go Tango Uniform. Their on engine alternator then developed problems . . . Anyway, another boater was nice enough to loan them a Honda and they were able to continue their cruise, using the Honda for AC power, and to recharge their batteries until they made it back to Ala Wai Marina and were able to get their electrical system worked on. Kudo's to the other boater! They hand delivered the loaned generator back to Makani Kai after they returned, along with a couple of bottles of liquid refreshment and some heartfelt thank you's.:D

Point: Fire extinguishers are dangerous if you stick the nozzle in your mouth and inhale while discharging, so I propose we ban all fire extinguishers!:D
Counterpoint: If used correctly, and in accordance with manufacturers recommendations, fire extinguishers are capable of extinguishing small fires, and potentially preventing, or limiting loss of property or loss of life, so they are a reasonable piece of equipment to have on hand . . . :dance:

Point: Portable generators are unsafe, emit CO and have no place on board boats!

Counterpoint: Portable generators are safe if used correctly and periodically inspected, just like any other piece of mechanical/electrical equipment. Addition of a CO monitor in living spaces might be a nice addition.

Seems to me that the key issues are following the manufacturers recommendations, maintaining the equipment, and mediating potential risks. It's all about risk management and common sense. . . :popcorn:

"Seems to me that the key issues are following the manufacturers recommendations, maintaining the equipment, and mediating potential risks. It's all about risk management and common sense"

Sounds good - would you please post a link from the manufacturer on how to set up and use their portable genset on a boat?
Thank you

Sounds good - would you please post a link from the manufacturer on how to set up and use their portable genset on a boat?
Thank you[/QUOTE]

+1!!! I would like to read this as well. Good suggestion.

Attachments

• pcgen.jpg
    pcgen.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 54
"Seems to me that the key issues are following the manufacturers recommendations, maintaining the equipment, and mediating potential risks. It's all about risk management and common sense"

Thank you

smitty, that's where the "common sense" I mentioned come into play. Manufacturers instructions specify things like use in a well ventilated location, do not fill while running, use a CO detector if used anywhere around living spaces, things like that. They do not specify how to use in every possible situation.

Just like toilet paper. It doesn't specify how us use to wipe your butt on a boat, but I'll bet that most people with a minimum amount of intelligent will not require manufacturers instruction in order to use on a boat!:D

For people who DO require manufacturers instructions in every possible situation, I suggest they stay home and avoid pointed objects and anything remotely dangerous!:dance:

smitty, that's where the "common sense" I mentioned come into play. Manufacturers instructions specify things like use in a well ventilated location, do not fill while running, use a CO detector if used anywhere around living spaces, things like that. They do not specify how to use in every possible situation.

Just like toilet paper. It doesn't specify how us use to wipe your butt on a boat, but I'll bet that most people with a minimum amount of intelligent will not require manufacturers instruction in order to use on a boat!:D

For people who DO require manufacturers instructions in every possible situation, I suggest they stay home and avoid pointed objects and anything remotely dangerous!:dance:

"smitty, that's where the "common sense" I mentioned come into play. Manufacturers instructions specify things like use in a well ventilated location, do not fill while running, use a CO detector if used anywhere around living spaces, things like that. They do not specify how to use in every possible situation."
OK then... how about a diagram on how to generically wire the genset to the boat?

"For people who DO require manufacturers instructions in every possible situation, I suggest they stay home and avoid pointed objects and anything remotely dangerous!"
Do you happen to have an insurance policy rider that says you are covered for a portable genset on the boat?

You don't have to have an insurance rider for everything you bring aboard a boat.

For some time now I have rationalized replacing an inoperable diesel fueled Entec generator with a portable gasoline fueled Honda 2000 watt generator. A couple of my marina buddies have done this so I figured it was a good idea. After reading many of the concerns and heading the warnings here I have decided to replace it with another diesel fueled generator for example the NextGen 5.5kW. The small form factor would fit very well in the engine room.

I have a dedicated shore power cord that I use with my Honda generator. Nothing fancy or permanent.

"smitty, that's where the "common sense" I mentioned come into play. Manufacturers instructions specify things like use in a well ventilated location, do not fill while running, use a CO detector if used anywhere around living spaces, things like that. They do not specify how to use in every possible situation."
OK then... how about a diagram on how to generically wire the genset to the boat?

"For people who DO require manufacturers instructions in every possible situation, I suggest they stay home and avoid pointed objects and anything remotely dangerous!"
Do you happen to have an insurance policy rider that says you are covered for a portable genset on the boat?

smitty, On the first point (in red above) above, I am not an expert on ABYC standards, nor am I a licensed electrician. However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards, if you could send me a picture, I suppose I could hand draw a diagram of how to plug it into the generator if you really need me to.

Please note that IMHO a "portable generator" is just that, "portable". I am in no way, shape or form advocating that a portable generator be hard wired into a boats wiring, or installed below decks as a permanent installation. That's why they have plugs, so they can be unplugged. If others wish to do so, that is up to them, but personally, I would never do so. We were interested in a boat that had come up for sale recently, but after finding out that it had a Predator 3500 (which in my opinion is a GREAT generator in the appropriate setting) hard wired into the boat as the only generator due to the marine diesel generator being removed at some point in the past, we passed on the boat.

On the 2nd point where you requested whether I had an insurance policy rider, etc, etc, etc, I believe Psneeld addressed that question correctly in post # 44.

To recap, I believe that "common sense" along with manufacturers recommendations should be followed to the extent necessary to allow for safe operation of ANY equipment, whether it be used on a boat, in a house, or with Green Eggs and Ham!:dance:

Last edited:
I have seen a portable generator in a short payed out dingy. That is isolation. Lol.

You don't have to have an insurance rider for everything you bring aboard a boat.

I would guess that you don't …
Do you have it in confirmed writing from your insurance company that a portable genset will not compromise your insurance protection in a potential claim and/or loss?

smitty, On the first point (in red above) above, I am not an expert on ABYC standards, nor am I a licensed electrician. However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards, if you could send me a picture, I suppose I could hand draw a diagram of how to plug it into the generator if you really need me to.

Please note that IMHO a "portable generator" is just that, "portable". I am in no way, shape or form advocating that a portable generator be hard wired into a boats wiring, or installed below decks as a permanent installation. That's why they have plugs, so they can be unplugged. If others wish to do so, that is up to them, but personally, I would never do so. We were interested in a boat that had come up for sale recently, but after finding out that it had a Predator 3500 (which in my opinion is a GREAT generator in the appropriate setting) hard wired into the boat as the only generator due to the marine diesel generator being removed at some point in the past, we passed on the boat.

On the 2nd point where you requested whether I had an insurance policy rider, etc, etc, etc, I believe Psneeld addressed that question correctly in post # 44.

To recap, I believe that "common sense" along with manufacturers recommendations should be followed to the extent necessary to allow for safe operation of ANY equipment, whether it be used on a boat, in a house, or with Green Eggs and Ham!:dance:

"On the first point (in red above) above, I am not an expert on ABYC standards, nor am I a licensed electrician. However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards,"
Your original post suggested you follow manufacturers guidance with the gensets - I assumed that would include grounding the unit, refueling and CO protection.

"However, if you should have a power cord available that meets ABYC electrical standards, if you could send me a picture, I suppose I could hand draw a diagram of how to plug it into the generator if you really need me to."
You currently plug a boat into a portable genset using a power cord between the two?

"We were interested in a boat that had come up for sale recently, but after finding out that it had a Predator 3500"
What exactly was the problem with this genset being on the boat?
Why would you not purchase the boat and just remove it

"Do you have it in confirmed writing from your insurance company that a portable genset will not compromise your insurance protection in a potential claim and/or loss?"

"nor am I a licensed electrician."
- Perhaps post a link from a licensed marine electrician noting the correct way to use these gensets.
- Or post a link from a licensed surveyor on the proper usage
- Or maybe from a major boating magazine and/or writer
That is if your not able to find one from one of the portable genset manufacturers.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.':dance:

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.':dance:

I thought we were discussing the details of how to utilize a portable genset on a boat?
Are you currently short on details and/or facts?

I would guess that you don't …
Do you have it in confirmed writing from your insurance company that a portable genset will not compromise your insurance protection in a potential claim and/or loss?

Yes...the policy is based on "excluded" verbage.

Would like to hear from out insurance experts on this often proclaimed worry.

About insurance not covering things....such as new requirements by ABYC that have not been incorporated because that system has not been upgraded thus no real requirement to have xyz.....

I thought we were discussing the details of how to utilize a portable genset on a boat?
Are you currently short on details and/or facts?

Actually, that's what YOU were discussing. The thread started to inform people that Honda 2200 portable generators had been recalled.:D

Yes...the policy is based on "excluded" verbage.

Would like to hear from out insurance experts on this often proclaimed worry.

About insurance not covering things....such as new requirements by ABYC that have not been incorporated because that system has not been upgraded thus no real requirement to have xyz.....

I was saying that is would be very prudent to get in writing from your insurance company that you are covered for any liabilities and any loses if you have a portable genset onboard.
I am sure that you could also have a licensed surveyor forward a confirmation that said genset on the boat in question is being used correctly to the insurance company and they can reply back.
Could you provide guides on how to utilize a genset on board from any of these sources:
- any licensed surveyor
- any marine electrician
- any major marine publication
Or perhaps some source I have not thought to post...

Actually, that's what YOU were discussing. The thread started to inform people that Honda 2200 portable generators had been recalled.:D

I was responding to your quote in post #25...

"Seems to me that the key issues are following the manufacturers recommendations, maintaining the equipment, and mediating potential risks. It's all about risk management and common sense. . ."

So do you connect your portable genset directly to the boat with an approved connector?

Mostly, dont run them inside a compartment, be careful how you fuel it, and don't necessarily run your boats electrical system from one.

What it doesn't say is that " they have no place on boats"....or that your insurance won't cover a mishap with one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom