Grand Banks 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hhntr111

All,

I have started learning about Grand Banks 42 boats. A big concern with these boats is leaking teak decks. I just learned that at some point, in the late 90's, the decks were glued down, rather than screwed down.

Does anyone know when that change was made?

Thanks,

John

I think it may have been a bit later than '97; perhaps '00-'02.

My GB from late 2006 - one of the last 46s made - has fibreglass foredecks, with teak on the top of them.

The teak is both glued and screwed.

So GB was still using screws in the teak decks on at least some boats as late as 2006...

Hamish.

My GB from late 2006 - one of the last 46s made - has fibreglass foredecks, with teak on the top of them.

The teak is both glued and screwed.

So GB was still using screws in the teak decks on at least some boats as late as 2006...

Hamish.

Maybe just to hold the teak in place until the glue dries??? Or are there still a ton of screws in yours?

Still a ton of screws, unfortunately.

I am engaged in a program of one by one removing the screws, filling the hole with epoxy, and then a neat little teak plug on top.

Unfortunately the screws can let moisture into the fibreglass, so as the teak wears and the screw heads become visible, then out they come...

Hamish.

GB's are good boats as long as they have been looked after. Don't get paranoid about leaks, they will have some leak issues and don't get put off GB's by my post. I'm illustrating that there are ways to sort through and find good 42 GB. It's worth paying more for one that has has teak pulled and re fiber-glassed deck. It's a $40,000 dollar job...
Suggest to start looking at boats in poor condition 1st. This gives you a free education of what to look for in better condition boats. After you do this, you will be greatly informed.
Get or rent inspection camera with at least 4 feet of extension and memory to store lots of pictures. Beware of low resolution cameras on some units.
Deck: Bounce with your knees looking for soft spots, especially aft of salon and cockpit.
On deck get knee pads on. CRAWL around deck checking integrity of deck moldings. These need to be re bedded after purchase for piece of mind and its not too hard to do.
Get into lazarette and poke into corners and transom, bottom of water tanks,
Lazarette hatch's on 42's are good installation, but check them out as they are not water tight and allow some water into lazarette.
Interior: Get your coveralls on, exploring every nook and cranny, pull every drawer out and look inside for signs of moisture.
You can see quite a bit of GB's deck or where water would leak from behind drawers.
Windows and doors are there own subject but careful inspection will tell you plenty. Most of the leaks are from dirty and plugged felts and drains. Window casing re bedding will need to be done. Your mileage will vary, it a big job...
Engine space: From outboard side of engines look up at decks and behind fuel tanks. Use camera to inspect tank bottoms and tops, also look up at deck...
Forward cabin inspect where deck meets cabin sides. Water usually shows up at rear of hanging closet on top behind windows. If its bad it starts leaking through inside molding at front of cabin and drips onto cushions / mattress.
Look in all floor hatches at plumbing, bonding wires and cleanliness of bilge.
Take a good sniff test looking for sewage, diesel and oil smells. Check all through hulls for operation and hose / hose clamp condition.
One other engineering weak point of GB's is use of dimensional lumber to reinforce cabins and to mount interior fittings. This becomes a problem under leaking windows if it goes on for years.
Once you find a good candidate then find knowledgeable surveyor, make sure he looks at deck bedding and give you through opinion.
Don't worry about engines at this stage. Mechanical survey will turn up problems if any. Figure on replacing all batteries within your 1st year of ownership unless you have them load tested as part of survey.
Don't be afraid of 42 GB's.

Last edited:
Thanks for all this great info. I’m not in any hurry,, and there are plenty on the market.

I am the 3rd owner of a 2000 model year GB 42 classic. I'm in the process of re-seaming my teak decks so I will eventually closely (and I mean closely) eyeball every inch of my decks. Decks are screwed and glued. Some portions - bridge steps, aft seat, forward locker top, etc. are glued and have almost no screws. Main decks have a "fair" number of screws, but nowhere near the number as older models. I figure screws in my boat were used to hold decks in place as glue dried. Screws barely penetrate fiberglass.

Back
Top Bottom