Going through Norfolk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you always see cool stuff going by the biggest navy base in the world. Lots of impressive equipment and support services running around. If you can transit outside the established channel, you'll be appreciated and avoid a lot of anxiety.

As to the picture taking I have seen that comment several times in the past and believe it to be another off-repeated urban legend. On October 15, 2016, DDG 1000 (Zumwalt) was commissioned in Baltimore in conjunction with a Navy Week celebration there. We stayed at a marina in Canton to visit. The next day we left early for a 5 hour run back home. As we motored down the river, we could see the Zumwalt about five miles behind us with the bright morning sun glinting off its angled superstructure. She caught up to us just as we were approaching the narrow channel under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

No way could we get in her way so we got out of the channel. I put our boat at idle speed with the autopilot on to watch her passing and got up on our boat deck to take pictures. We were in the 500-yard exclusionary zone for warships but there was nowhere safe to move. Soon, a Coast Guard RIB pulled up alongside us to check us out. They asked what our max speed speed. When I responded 8 knots, off they sped. All the while I was taking pictures of the RIB and the Zumwalt.

What a magnificent day on the water that was!
It is more than just the Navy Base area. Lots of commercial shipyards in the area that are building and/or repairing Navy vessels.

Monitor the radio.

Don't get too close to shore (i.e. the facilities along the shore). Most have Navy or private security boats that become annoyed if you get too close the shore side facilities (shipyards, drydocks) or linger near one.

Do not make it obvious that you are taking lots of photos (i.e. no telephoto lenses) or you might get a visit from one of the Navy boats.

If you are on the Elizabeth River, stay IN the channel till you are out of the shipyard areas.

Waterside Marina is a nice stop on the waterfront right in downtown Norfolk.

FWIW, the Chickahominy River about 45 miles up the James River from the Hampton Roads tunnel. It is a nice area though.
Rib1.jpegRibHelo.jpegStearn%20Approach.jpegRibAway1.jpeg

If you’re looking for a convenient overnight tie up, Old Point Comfort Marina is about as convenient as it gets. Right behind Ft. Monroe. Some docks could use attention and the showers are spartan but clean, price is cheap. Dead Rise restaurant is very good. A craft brewery easy walk too. The fort is incredible to walk around and there is a museum. It was reportedly the last star redoubt in use in the US.

Strumpet

I always enjoy seeing this at OPCM. Designed by Jay Benford for Ernest Gann.

Attachments

• 7AB275B4-5370-4131-88E8-A41201CDFAD4.jpg
    7AB275B4-5370-4131-88E8-A41201CDFAD4.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 8C790DEC-1DE3-46EB-B368-E88F4F1E03D9.jpg
    8C790DEC-1DE3-46EB-B368-E88F4F1E03D9.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 14
Willoughby Bay is a great anchorage to watch helicopters!

Just an FYI, the anchorage is huge and still lots of room but a big portion of it is now being used as a staging area for the barges tugs & equipment for the construction of the 3rd Hampton tunnel being constructed as mentioned previously. I personally would pass on Willoughby as an anchorage for the time being based on what I've seen from traveling past it via car.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8
As to the picture taking I have seen that comment several times in the past and believe it to be another off-repeated urban legend. ...

It's a bit different when you encounter a Navy ship that is operating away from a mooring. If you hang around the Navy docks, the shipyards, or the drydocks taking pictures you might find a different situation.

I was in the channel headed down the Elizabeth River passing the Naval shipyard. There was a tug pushing a large barge headed the other way. I thought it was prudent to put more distance between me and the upcoming barge because of its wake so I went just outside the west side of the channel (water still plenty deep for my boat) to let it pass. I was intercepted by a Navy fast guard boat who got between my boat and the shipyard with orders on the radio to "Get back in the channel!"

It's a bit different when you encounter a Navy ship that is operating away from a mooring. If you hang around the Navy docks, the shipyards, or the drydocks taking pictures you might find a different situation.

I was in the channel headed down the Elizabeth River passing the Naval shipyard. There was a tug pushing a large barge headed the other way. I thought it was prudent to put more distance between me and the upcoming barge because of its wake so I went just outside the west side of the channel (water still plenty deep for my boat) to let it pass. I was intercepted by a Navy fast guard boat who got between my boat and the shipyard with orders on the radio to "Get back in the channel!"

Out to the west of the channel they have no jusrisdiction unless a Navy vessel is nearby or a couple small restricted areas.

I bet I have gone by Navy Norfolk 35 times, always out of the channel to the west except once because of dredging and never been warned. I can't even think of when the USCG could "make" you use a channel unless being out of it is a prohibited or restricted area or under safety zone authority.

Nor have I ever seen anyone else out of the channel bothered/contacted....

When they dredge, they had you go very close to the booms protecting the Navy ships.

Last edited:
Out to the west of the channel they have no jusrisdiction unless a Navy vessel is nearby or a couple small restricted areas.

I bet I have gone by Navy Norfolk 35 times, always out of the channel to the west except once because of dredging and never been warned. I can't even think of when the USCG could "make" you use a channel unless being out of it is a prohibited or restricted area or under safety zone authority.

The shipyard is down the river from the Naval Base. It wasn't the CG, it was a USN boat.

There are also shipyards on the north side of the James River at Newport News that have patrol boats.

We traveled up the James River from Norfolk to Richmond in 2019 in our GB42 with a 4ft 2in draft. Depth up to Richmond is a non issue if you stay in the well marked channel. Tows with barges make daily trips on this route to the Richmond inland marine terminal. We were advised by Hopewell TowBoat US to stay out of the off channel “necks” of the River. They look like inviting places to anchor, but provide good business for the TowBoat guys.

There are three restaurant marinas on the lower James...Bennet Creek Marina off the Nansemond River, Smithfield Station on the Pagan River, and Grey Creek Marina near the Jamestown Ferry. All have marked channels (Greys is private markings). With our draft, we did play the tides coming and going. All three have good floating docks and very good onsite restaurants. Smithfield Station is located in the heart of Smithfield, VA and is adjacent to a very large park, multiple good restaurants and a few museums. The main street has beautiful Victorian homes. It is definitely worth a stop over. Call before going into any of these locations to get up to date channel information. Expect moderate currents around the docks.

Farther up river, we bypassed Jordan Point Marina because of its shallow access and remoteness. Instead we went a short distance up the Appomattox River and stayed at the Hopewell City Marina. This used to be the Hopewell Yacht Club, but was reclaimed by the city. The marina sees few transits, but we found a suitable fixed dock on the outside of the covered slips with 50 amp power. The on-site bait, tackle, and convenience store collects your money, but provides little else. The local boat owners were welcoming, helped us get tied up, and directed us to a very nice restaurant called “The Boathouse” that had excellent food and the stunning view to go with it.

The end of navigation on the James is at Rockets Landing Marina where we docked. This is another minimally manned facility so you must make arrangements in advance. Expect moderate current through the angled floating docks. The Marina is in front of multiple restaurants, has frequent bus service into downtown Richmond, and has an excellent bike path into the city.

Overall, this was a very scenic and enjoyable trip. However, we saw very few cruisers, just local fishermen.

Sax
1995 GB 42 Classic
“Red Eagle”

Things were so much easier before 9-11.

The shipyard is down the river from the Naval Base. It wasn't the CG, it was a USN boat.

There are also shipyards on the north side of the James River at Newport News that have patrol boats.

Well you do have to pay attention to the restricted areas, much more so than "staying in the channel" because if I remember...much of that stretch doesn't have ATON.

The only real regulation of general consequences is

§ 165.501 Chesapeake Bay entrance and Hampton Roads, VA and adjacent waters – Regulated Navigation Area.

from Coast Pilot 3

and generally only affects vessels 100 tons or more except for the 5 and 6 knot speed limits.

Last edited:

I don't understand. The west side is nothing but Craney Island and it's dredge spoils. I've even seen locals on the beach there just hanging out. Maybe you're thinking of the east side but even there, I've stayed just outside of the channel heading North down the Elizabeth River and was never cautioned even though it was clear the ribs that were patrolling the area had a watchful eye on us.

The regulated area (as I posted above and generally doesn't affect smaller rec vessels) does go down the Elizabeth River to the I64 bridge (dismal Swamp entrance)...but says nothing about where you cant be except restricted areas and much of it there's really no marked "channel" to stay in.

Things were so much easier before 9-11.

True that. The USS Cole incident ramped up security but after 9-11 when transiting the area in Norfolk, one had to mind their P's & Q's. I remember ,back in the day, we would run right up to the ships to check them out. Unless I had a death wish, I wouldn't attempt what I used to do in the area.

I don't understand. The west side is nothing but Craney Island and it's dredge spoils. I've even seen locals on the beach there just hanging out. Maybe you're thinking of the east side but even there, I've stayed just outside of the channel heading North down the Elizabeth River and was never cautioned even though it was clear the ribs that were patrolling the area had a watchful eye on us.

I'm just telling you what happened to me.

There restricted areas on both sides on the Elizabeth River as you go south. In some places if you are out of the channel, you are in a restricted area.

Attachments

• restricted.jpg
    restricted.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom