GB 36 anchor type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chartwell

Vessel Name
Chartwell
Vessel Make
GB 36 Classic
Hi I am looking to upgrade my anchor on 36 Classic. Has anyone successfully fitted a Rocna 25kg or a 25kg Rocna Vulcan? I am not sure that the Rocna will fit the boat or not but impressed with the anchor test results.

Thanks for your assistance

Regards Fred

Hi I am looking to upgrade my anchor on 36 Classic. Has anyone successfully fitted a Rocna 25kg or a 25kg Rocna Vulcan? I am not sure that the Rocna will fit the boat or not but impressed with the anchor test results.

Thanks for your assistance

Regards Fred

I replaced a Bruce with a Rocna 44 kg, and it fit but required 2 high density blocks on the underside of the plank to make it seat in a stable way. The Vulcan might even be a better fit. I do believe you can print out the to-scale anchor profile templates to check fit. You can download those off the website. I do love the way my Rocna sets with certainty. It caught me off-guard when I first backed down on it.

Agree, print out the pattern and transfer it to plywood and then you can see if it will fit or not.

Agree, print out the pattern and transfer it to plywood and then you can see if it will fit or not.
Good advice. I kept the Sarca when I sold my Island Gypsy 36 but it didn`t fit the Integrity 386(evolved from the IG), I bought a Sarca Excel which does.

Hi can you please confirm that you fitted the Rocna 44KG on your GB36. I am looking at the 20KG Vulcan as the correct weight but now rethinking. Regards Fred

We have a Rocna. But I think it’s a 22? (44 lbs) I’ll check if you would like.

Panope recently published a chart showing dimensions relative to the pivot bolt on anchor roller. Might be helpful. See attached

Peter Screenshot_20230515_082140_YouTube.jpg

Rocna doesn't list a 44 kg model, I suspect the reference was to a 20 kg (44#) Rocna. We currently run a 25kg Vulcan and love the performance of the anchor. Stows perfectly and self launches easily from our pulpit.

James

There are lots of other anchors to consider.
Anchors that do one thing really well achieve that very high level of performance by sacrificing other aspects of capabilities. And thus the best anchor will always be the one that isn’t top of the pack in some way. Holding power would seem to be the obvious and best measure of an anchor but it’s not. The ability to perform in a really wide range of sea bottoms is more important and the ability to only very rarely not set also a very high level of performance. The ability to stay engaged in the seabottom with large changes on direction of wind/pull … a very high level of performance.

There are other performance features like the ability to hold at a fairly high level of rode tension (scope) w/o breaking the anchor out is a very important aspect of performance when anchoring in western Canada or SE Alaska. Fitting the bow of your boat in fairly important but changes to the boats bow pulpit or whatever is usually fairly easy. The anchor being light enough to pull by hand if you don’t have a winch or powered capstan will be the #1 feature depending on boat size or age of skipper.

But don’t buy a certain brand anchor based on highest holding power. That holding power may be measured at a scope that you rarely use or not on/in a mud bottom. Mud seafloors are by far the most common overall that most all of us encounter.

And older anchors may be excellent if you get one heavier that average sizes of newer anchors. Your cheapest road to higher holding power is an old Danforth .. not a copy and hopefully a Dan w a forged shank and forged flukes. Bruce is good for short scope and good setting. Look for sharper flukes or the Bruce brand for metal strength. Even a Navy anchor or Dreadnought could be a good choice. Will need to be heavy but may set most anywhere as a very high number of big ships employ that anchor. Perhaps because it sets most anywhere. Ships travel the world anchoring most anywhere. And there are some ship anchors you can buy new in sizes/weights that would be suitable for rec trawlers.

Remember that most rec trawler skippers buy anchors per anchor tests that frequently are flawed .. even highly biased or representing one brand.
And lastly consider that if you buy an anchor w 80 to 90% of the highest holding power performers you will probably pick up two or three features of anchor performance that the highest holding power anchor will lack.

Last edited:
My mistake

Hi can you please confirm that you fitted the Rocna 44KG on your GB36. I am looking at the 20KG Vulcan as the correct weight but now rethinking. Regards Fred

Very sorry. My Rocna anchor is a 20 kg/44 lb. on a Grand Banks 36. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. :facepalm:

GB 36' with Rochna

We have a Rochna 20 on our Grand Banks 36'. Fits fine and works great!
Best regards,
Mike Dana
Third Reef
36' Grand Banks Trawler #819
Potts Harbor Maine (South Harpswell)

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_122657.jpg
    IMG_20201002_122657.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201002_122407.jpg
    IMG_20201002_122407.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 21
No.A loss is terrible thing to mind.

We have the 20kg Vulcan on our Monk 36. Works great. I sometimes think the 25kg would have been even better but only because "more is better" and the boat handles the weight of the 20kg easily.

Back
Top Bottom