Fuel Sender Access on Camano Troll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleepy

Veteran Member
Hi all

2001 Camano Troll with port and stbd fuel tanks but not an operating fuel gage. Did my testing to confirm the problem is bad fuel sensors. Here's my problem. I see no access ports in the carpeting through the decking to access the senders. From below I see no access holes and there is only 2 inches of clearance between the top of the tanks and the underside of the sound proofing material.
Unless someone has a better idea, here are my options as I see it:
1- remove and replace the senders within the available 2" of space. I doubt this is possible. It was all I could do to reach in, blind, to jump the sensor wires to diagnose the problem. I would also like to replace the broken sender with the new straight tube style. Pretty sure 2" is not enough for that.
2- cut an access hole in the deck over the stbd tank. The floor is carpeted so this could end up unsightly or lead to replacing the entire carpeting with new or to convert to a wood floor. Then there is always an access port directly inside the cabin door.
3- cut an access hole over the port tank only and rely on the reading for one tank to show status of both. (1/2 full means 1/2 of each since they draw pretty equally). Problem is that access hole would be inside the port side setee and under the AC Unit. The good thing is that the access hole would not be visible so a less than perfect job won't bother me for the rest of my days. Haven't yet looked into what is involved in temporarily removing the AC Unit. This is looking like it may be my best solution. One thing I have decided is that I am going to have a working fuel gage when the dust clears.

I know other Camano owners have been through this. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• 20220415_161451.jpg
    20220415_161451.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You cannot rely on one sender to measure both tanks. Although they are normally connected together, this is through some small diameter tubing and a couple valves. My two tanks often read differently and often take different amounts of furl to top off.

You can remove the air conditioner and cut an access hole to the port sender. You can pull up the carpet over the starboard sender, cut an access hole, replace the sender, patch the hole and replace the carpet.

Just be really sure the problem is with the senders before you go to all this trouble. It would be unusual for them to both fail at the same time.

The neatest way to cut an access hole (the floor is plywood) is with a heavy duty drill and a hole saw. You can reinstall the plug when you're finished.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom