ElectroScan 'residual' pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aenlic

Veteran Member
My boat has an ElectroScan system, but the aft head toilet has been replaced with an Air Head composting toilet, which I love.

I was about to tap into the 2" line to the holding tank (as identified by the PO), and found that it seems to be pressurized. I hadn't noticed that the PO had inserted a bung into the end.

Can anyone tell me why this is pressurized, and hopefully what I can do to modify that? I want to install a replacement liquids container which has a 1/2" NPT fitting on the bottom, letting it drain straight into the holding tank.

I'm thinking that I may have to deactivate the entire ElectroScan system to get the result that I want.

Thanks for any info-

aenlic

The electroscan is not pressurizing the line.
It does not have the capability to pressurize the line.

Inside the electroscan there are a couple of macerators. Really choppers to reduce particle size. There is also an electrode pack that is used to pass a DC current through the effluent.

The electroscan relies on your toilet or some other external pump to push waste through it.

Thanks, Kevin.

Not being familiar with marine toilets, I'm sort of at sea (ha!) on this topic as well.

What would leave the input and output hoses which used to be part of the toilet with positive pressure, any idea?

Thanks-

aenlic

Check for a holding tank vent line. You say there is a holding tank?
If they get clogged, from waste in case of an overflow, or from insect/spider activity easy air interchange can be restricted/stopped which will cause a tank to become pressurized.

That vent line must be open to the air. If not things can get nasty.
Assuming you do have one then the vent line will attach at the top of the tank and then go to the hull up the hull outside, maybe though a filter, or not.
Trace the hoses to be sure you have the vent hose.

There's no way the problem can be in the ElectroScan..As you'll see from the owners manual ElectroScan owners manual --which you need to know how to use and maintain it. And since you say you're not familiar with marine toilets, you'll need the owners manual for it too. If you can provide the make/model--or a photo of it (the pump or the "works," not the bowl...all bowls look alike), I can post a link to it.

My first thought was also a blocked tank vent, most likely the vent thru-hull, especially if the tank hasn't been used for a while 'cuz spiders and dirt daubers love to build nest in 'em. Use a screwdriver blade, ice pick or whatever works to scrape out the slit or holes in it...knock out any screen 'cuz screens may keep insects out, but dust, pollen and rust clogs 'em. If there's a filter in the vent line, it becomes a blockage if it ever gets wet, so you'll have to remove it.

If you want to prevent future vent blockages, replace the "vent" thru-hull with a "bulkhead" or "mushroom" thru-hull that you can stick a hose nozzle up against to backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat. That will preclude any filter in the vent line.

If you're going to use the holding tank even just for urine, you'll need to learn how to maintain it too. The link in my signature will take you to a comprehensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual that, despite its title, actually covers all of the above.

And btw...the line to the holding tank is 1.5". Whoever told you it's 2" apparently doesn't know that hose sizes are stated by their INNER diameter.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom