Electric Outboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. That's what I thought until the article said otherwise. Confused me.

Understandable. 3rd party articles or reviews like that one, often can miss some things and make erroneous statements. I like the reverse feature which is something that my little gas-powered merc did not have. Just fwd and neutral and the 180 spin for reverse.

Last edited:
A few months back I saw an advertisement for what was basically an electric sculling oar, it had a prop at the end of it instead of a paddle, and the batteries were self contained in the tube/handle. Anyone else see this and know where it was?

An interesting concept.
Too bad there is not a place to plug in an exterior battery.

The point of any of the small electric dinghy motors is to get rid of the external battery. Otherwise you might was well mount a trolling motor.

The point of any of the small electric dinghy motors is to get rid of the external battery. Otherwise you might was well mount a trolling motor.

That is true but, make them changeable.

Electric motors and all ancilliary systems are already good , and keep getting better all the time. Many boaters are old fashioned though so keep bad-mouthing this inevitable improvement in propusion. The hybrid systems are good too, and most people have gensets on board anyway, to charge up when the solar collectors dont produce enough in shady areas.

That is true but, make them changeable.

the torqeedo batteries are interchangable. i have two for mine so i can have extended range when i need it. they're fairly small and light weight so easy to bring along.

An electric motor is the ideal propulsion for a boat. No transmission, for neutral you just shut off the power, for reverse, swap the wires. There's also, nearly zero maintenance. No oil, no filters, etc. It has tremendous torque and is equally efficient at all speeds.

The only problem is getting power to it. A long extension cord is impractical and batteries have not reached the point where they will power the boat for more than a few hours before being charged. And od course, marinas are not set up to charge multiple boats at the same time.

I have an epropulsion outboard for my dinghy and it's great, not problems starting and no turning the motor 180 degrees for reverse. But, I only use it for short trips from the mothership to shore and back.

rwidman,
How much will the batteries weigh for an equivalent amount of energy in the batt and in full diesel fuel tanks including the motor/engine.

An electric motor is the ideal propulsion for a boat. No transmission, for neutral you just shut off the power, for reverse, swap the wires. There's also, nearly zero maintenance. No oil, no filters, etc. It has tremendous torque and is equally efficient at all speeds.

The only problem is getting power to it. A long extension cord is impractical and batteries have not reached the point where they will power the boat for more than a few hours before being charged. And od course, marinas are not set up to charge multiple boats at the same time.

I have an epropulsion outboard for my dinghy and it's great, not problems starting and no turning the motor 180 degrees for reverse. But, I only use it for short trips from the mothership to shore and back.

Many recharge with solar, wind, gensets.

Back
Top Bottom