Did you know? Maxwell windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwestman

Vessel Name
Excellent Adventure
Vessel Make
1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Did you know that Maxwell recommends that their windlass gearbox be serviced every three years? I did not. We went to anchor yesterday and the motor ran but nothing happened. Luckily we did not deploy more than ten feet. Manually pulled and secured the anchor (all 70 lbs) and went and found a mooring.

Luckily we found someone who could deal with us on short (real short) notice. When the gear box was removed and opened up, it was full of brass filings. The gears are toast. Also the gear oil, which was mostly missing, was like tar. Most likely the cause of the failure, no lubrication.

No now we sit in a marina away from home, waiting for a new windlass to be shipped in and installed.

So word to the wise, read your manual and get your gearbox serviced and new gear lube installed.

Just went through this on our Maxwell 3500. Total rebuild. I will post more details later. They finished it this past Friday. Parts alone was $1600.

At 38 yrs old, my windlass motor wouldn't, so I had it re-wound. In the process I had the whole thing apart, replaced all of the wiring, 2 solenoids, foot switches, so now I have basically a brand new Lofrans Tigres. I don't know for sure that in its first 14 years it wasn't opened up and serviced, but I do know for sure I had never opened it up in then 24 years of using it. When I did open it up, it looked as if it had been assembled that day. I think the manufacturer's early service recommendations for yours are their attempt to avoid paying for early failures, rather than a serious look at the actual required service interval.

Back
Top Bottom