Dear Diary - Weebles will splash soon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, if your fill is at the very top of the tank, consider filling the tank with a hose stuffed all the way to the bottom and let the water overflow out the fill hole for awhile. Just a thought.

I really like this approach. It should basically float the oil up and out.

Plan for the tanks is to try a bunch of stuff. Step one is indeed to overflow the tanks. Then more simple green and overflow again. Then dump the tanks and use a garden sprayer wire bent wand to spray grain alcohol. Then rinse. As a final step, Guillermo suggested adding lemon and making margaritas.

For some bizarre reason, I'm fairly optimistic. Will keep you posted.

Peter

For some bizarre reason, I'm fairly optimistic. Will keep you posted.

I think you'll be fine. Flushing from the bottom makes really good sense. You've exposed only a very small part of the system, in terms of surface area.

I once got a mouth full of Diesel sucking on the fuel line of a Dicksen heater trying to figure out why it wasn't working. I was surprised that it wan't that bad at all. Tasted very bland, almost like vegetable oil. Makes me think it's probably not that bad to eat a tiny bit of it. I think you will be fine after your washing plan.

Sounds good!
https://mixthatdrink.com/diesel/
diesel.jpg

I once got a mouth full of Diesel sucking on the fuel line of a Dicksen heater trying to figure out why it wasn't working. I was surprised that it wan't that bad at all. Tasted very bland, almost like vegetable oil. Makes me think it's probably not that bad to eat a tiny bit of it. I think you will be fine after your washing plan.

Mix that with some alcohol, simple green and lemons it's just perfect.

I would stop the cleaning process right now.

Friday, Feb 10th 2023. Water Tank Day????

Yesterday was stabilizer day. When I bought the stabilizer system, I discussed with Wesmar the operating RPMs and such. What never came up was what direction the pump should turn. Apparently it makes a difference (as you would think). One of my early posts on TF was a rant about Wesmar technical support - I hope they've improved since then. I have since found "Jason" in their tech support group who is pretty responsive. I'd love to give him props to Wesmar, but since even their CEO was radio-silent for me, my hunch is quiet is good. I've worked in companies where standing-out - even for good reasons - is avoided. Suffice to say while I am hopeful my Wesmar system works as advertised, I would not recommend them to others based on my technical support experience, especially since there are other options in the market that have strong product and support track records. Had ABT built a smaller system, would have been my first choice.

PICTURES:

This week my mornings have started with a brief run from the Marina to the Yard. The Yard is tucked into the corner of the Ensenada waterfront amidst fishing boats and tourist boats. My boat handling skills are pretty rusty - been good to practice a bit.
ENtrance to Yard from water.jpg

This is the hydraulic guy. Not sure what he's doing - looks like surfing on his phone. But somehow in the 20-minutes he was in the Engine Room, he magically reversed my hydraulic pump to run the right direction. Once again proving that life is easier when you 'find the right guy.' (person?)
Hydraulic guy hard at work.jpg

Next was bleeding the hydraulic system. Orlando and Alberto worked together on this one and it took a while, including a run to a hydraulic supply store to get a fitting for a crossover. As I've said before, Mexico is 2-3 generations behind the US. Back when I was young, there were all manner of specialty stores - auto electric, hydraulic, TV repair, bakeries, butchers, etc. Mexico is slowly being taken over by big-box stores and grocery stores. too. But for now, there are still places that deal with hydraulic fittings, other places for plumbing fittings, etc.
Banda store outside.jpg

While the portside fin quickly calibrated to zero, the starboard fin did not. Orlando was suspect of the belt driving the pump so late yesterday I returned to the Hydraulic store (see next paragraph) and picked up a fresh belt, plus a spare of course. Hopefully, with help of Jason, calibration will proceed quickly this morning.
Wesmar Panel.jpg

Shopping is a bit different. Almost always you go to a counter where someone will help you. They write-up what you want and you take the receipt to someone behind a teller-like window to pay and you're on your way.
banda store inside.jpg

Other happenings at the Yard

There is a hi-tech sailboat "Code 2" that has been in the yard for a while. I guess it's carbon fiber and such. About 60-feet I'd reckon. Here's a website showing it. Not sure what's being done. I don't think it's Guillermo's job. Note the enormous swing keel.
Code 2 Sailboat.jpg

Code 2 Swing Keel.jpg

Felipe is still working on the McQueen. He has replaced about 20 ribs and given them multiple coats of epoxy and filler to seal joints.
McQueen Ribs.jpg

Saturday, Feb 11. More electrical stuff

Day 5 of coming to the yard in morning. Still a fairly long list of stuff - generator is not producing 120vac. I've reached out to my friend at Northern Lights who will be sending a troubleshooting guide. Some things just seem a bit sloppy - item installed and not tested. This morning I realized the switch for thruster bypassed the breaker. The switch energizes a solenoid that allows heavy current to thruster to pass.

Water tanks are now empty and ready for several more rinses. Definitely has a citrus smell to them. I'm half tempted to get a tankless water heater and get hot water into them. Tankless water heaters here are pretty inexpensive - they lack the safety controls common in US.

I've decided to put a bit more ballast on thr starboard side and move what's already there as forward beneath the side deck as possible. Right now, she has a 1.2 deg list to port and with empty water tanks [1400 lbs), she sits nicely, maybe slightly bow down.

Peter

Pictures

1. tied up this morning
2. Approach to yard. I pause here to set lines.
3. This 1967 Wm Garden Ketch was hauled late yesterday. Apparently the owner got it for free. Owner and a friend plan to repaint the boat themselves. Given low cost of labor here, seems like an odd choice. I guess sailors are like that though. 20230211_082110.jpg20230211_080109.jpg20230211_080948.jpg

That list is getting smaller... thanks so much Peter for the images and commentary—I visit here daily.

It's been 4 days since our last MV Weebles update. Anyone else getting withdrawals? Coffee only partially stops the jitters..

Congrats on what you have gotten accomplished. Regarding the water tank issue I believe I mentioned it in the other thread but perhaps might have been missed.

Simple green is a brand with many products and formulae for different applications. The one you want to use is food grade and safe, has no color and no odor. It’s called Crystal simple green industrial cleaner. I’m having a problem uploading the MSDS but everything you need to know is on their website.

As I mentioned in the other thread pressure wash with a steam cleaner. Don’t pressurize the plumbing until you have rinsed sufficiently which will depend on accessibility.

Also a quick though on the ballasting situation, don’t be too hasty. Over time you’ll see the impacts on handling. It’s best add the ballast low and amidships, even if it takes more weight. If you drop the boat 2” deeper you may find the bow comes down on its own due to it’s designed “fineness.” Too much weight forward could exacerbate pitching. Best to keep her ends as light as possible.

Yep, 4th pot of coffee this morning, patiently waiting, Waiting, WAITING for my Weebles Fix . . . staring at the screen, can't plan the day without my morning fix. It's all your fault Peter . . . :mad:

Well,
Peter continues to post in other threads, so he is not in jail at least.
Maybe nothing new?

I'll update in a day or two. Things have been slow and I've been mostly on my phone which is not conducive to writing

Thanks for the warm thoughts. Sincerely appreciated.

Peter

Yep, 4th pot of coffee this morning, patiently waiting, Waiting, WAITING for my Weebles Fix . . . staring at the screen, can't plan the day without my morning fix.....
"A watched pot never boils." Coffee boiled is coffee spoiled". Here endeth todays lessons.

Save for, 4 pots of morning coffee=caffeine intoxication.

I think it's because we are all rooting for Peter and hoping for success, so when the posts stop, we worry that things are getting worse instead of better.

Friday, February 17th. Ode to a bow thruster.

So….yesterday I was actually about halfway through a post when I was rudely interrupted by a kerthump-clunk and a distinct jostling. But let me backup….

I’ve been motoring the 1-mile from the marina to the boatyard each morning to make life easier for the guys working on Weebles. I have a philosophy in work that has served me well: help people help me. Yesterday that included rafting against an aging 50-foot charter fishing boat which I’d done before. I was aboard waiting for Orlando to show-up when the aforementioned clunk happened. There was another raft of fishing boats perpendicular to me off my bow. Their raft was loosely tied and drifted into me. Thank god for a big Vulcan anchor. Honestly I was pissed-off. So I picked-up lines and went back to the marina and now the guys are coming to me. And I lost the half-written post from yesterday.

I have to say the ten or so morning trips and evening return trips to/from the yard has certainly brushed-up my close quarter skills, especially my single-handing skills. I never thought I would say these words, but I really, really like having a bow thruster. It takes so much stress out of docking. Weebles’ preferred side in starboard-tie/turn. My assigned slip at the marina is a shared slip (no center finger) with a port-tie. It’s not difficult, but is a little tricky due to general approach and geometry, especially single-handed in the afternoon with some breeze. Bow thruster definitely makes life easier. Glad I did it. To all you chest-thumping hurrumpher’s who believe a thruster is cheating, you’re right. I’m an unabashed cheater who’s blood pressure now barely registers an extra tick while docking.

Progress on final punch list has been slow with tiny issues popping up as quickly as old ones get squashed. I finally had enough with two of Orlando’s crew and asked that Orlando do the work, that I would wait until he is free and can focus. If there are any newbies reading this who think because you have advanced DIY skills from working on house projects, you’re only partially right. I’ve come to the conclusion that boat electrics are not really transferrable skills from home DIY. Although houses and boats both have breaker panels, boats use them as often as switches, not just circuit protection, at least for DC. Case in point: I discovered that the breaker for my thruster did nothing – thruster would work whether or not breaker was on/off (same for Windlass breaker). It had not been wired to the solenoid that carries the load.

SlowGoesit – I cannot imagine four pots of coffee. Makes me want to grab the sports’ section and take a walk. I worked with a guy who drank coffee all day long – even the crusty motor-oil burned to the bottom of the pot at 4PM. He had worn a path from his desk, to the break room, and to the bathroom.

Seems odd to say, but I really appreciate the good wishes. I go between ‘light at end of tunnel’ and being bummed-out. I turned 62 last week. Only the second time in 26 years I haven’t been with other half and I miss her.

PICTURES:

1. Places I've rafted -
Rafted against military workboats.jpg
Rafted against old charter fishing boat.jpg

2. Generator. For some reason, the new NL 6kw isn't making full voltage. There's a lost-in-translation moment here, and I'm about to halt work since I have a friend who can assist in San Diego.
Generator guy.jpg

3. Lewmar Hatch - still leaks. There were only two places it could leak - the hinge connections through the lens; or the sealant around the lens to the bezel. The yard put tape around the outer perimeter before a rain to isolate the leak. Incredibly, Lewmar states its nearly impossible to successfully re-seal the lens due to how it's manufactured which is incredible to me - makes them truly disposable. They have agreed to send me an entire new 'lid' section which they felt was kind given it's out-of-warranty. Note to self: buy nothing from Lewmar. How the hell can a hatch have planned-obsolescence built into it?
Lewmar Hatch still leaks.jpg

Last edited:
Good advice from cafesport on ballasting. Glad to hear tanks are coming alone. It initially surprised me that sometimes things are easier to fix in the second or third world. Seems they are use to rebuilding just about everything. Sometimes in the most ingenious ways the result is actually better.
As an example had a small mercury 9.9. The throttle linkage included plastic bits which repeatedly broke. Also bends in a stiff wire which would become unseated. Parts were unavailable in a timely fashion. It was our daily driver until I got to someplace that sold better choices. (Got a Suzuki 15 which was flawless). With a very small welding machine, aluminum scrap metal, a tap and hand tools a guy operating out of his van replaced the linkage better than new. That Merc was a POS. Donated to a Haitian charity. It was either that or use it for an anchor.

Good advice from cafesport on ballasting. Glad to hear tanks are coming alone. It initially surprised me that sometimes things are easier to fix in the second or third world. Seems they are use to rebuilding just about everything. Sometimes in the most ingenious ways the result is actually better....

Here's CafeSport's post for convenience (clipped to just show comments on ballasting - comments on food grade Simple Green were helpful too):

Also a quick though on the ballasting situation, don’t be too hasty. Over time you’ll see the impacts on handling. It’s best add the ballast low and amidships, even if it takes more weight. If you drop the boat 2” deeper you may find the bow comes down on its own due to it’s designed “fineness.” Too much weight forward could exacerbate pitching. Best to keep her ends as light as possible.

When I first brought Weebles to Ensenada and offloaded a liveaboard life, I was shocked at how much weight came off as evidenced by waterline. I've been much more conscientious about weight placement as CafeSport suggests. But 800 kgs of concrete/iron ballast was removed and she needed it replaced. Some came in the form of batteries and thruster, other in ‘moveable ballast’ such as spare prop, spare chain rode and anchor. But still, needed a good 650 kgs of ballast replaced. Because lead is about 2x more dense than concrete/steel, I could move the ballast somewhat aft in the bilge.

I’d say ballasting is 85%-90% complete. I need to get the water tank issue cleared-up (I’m close); and put on another 100g of diesel to get close to half-load. Almost all of my gear and tools are aboard. Since I know where to get lead, finishing-up won’t be difficult.

Peter

Friday, February 17th. Ode to a bow thruster.

So….yesterday I was actually about halfway through a post when I was rudely interrupted by a kerthump-clunk and a distinct jostling. But let me backup….

I’ve been motoring the 1-mile from the marina to the boatyard each morning to make life easier for the guys working on Weebles. I have a philosophy in work that has served me well: help people help me. Yesterday that included rafting against an aging 50-foot charter fishing boat which I’d done before. I was aboard waiting for Orlando to show-up when the aforementioned clunk happened. There was another raft of fishing boats perpendicular to me off my bow. Their raft was loosely tied and drifted into me. Thank god for a big Vulcan anchor. Honestly I was pissed-off. So I picked-up lines and went back to the marina and now the guys are coming to me. And I lost the half-written post from yesterday.

I have to say the ten or so morning trips and evening return trips to/from the yard has certainly brushed-up my close quarter skills, especially my single-handing skills. I never thought I would say these words, but I really, really like having a bow thruster. It takes so much stress out of docking. Weebles’ preferred side in starboard-tie/turn. My assigned slip at the marina is a shared slip (no center finger) with a port-tie. It’s not difficult, but is a little tricky due to general approach and geometry, especially single-handed in the afternoon with some breeze. Bow thruster definitely makes life easier. Glad I did it. To all you chest-thumping hurrumpher’s who believe a thruster is cheating, you’re right. I’m an unabashed cheater who’s blood pressure now barely registers an extra tick while docking.

Progress on final punch list has been slow with tiny issues popping up as quickly as old ones get squashed. I finally had enough with two of Orlando’s crew and asked that Orlando do the work, that I would wait until he is free and can focus. If there are any newbies reading this who think because you have advanced DIY skills from working on house projects, you’re only partially right. I’ve come to the conclusion that boat electrics are not really transferrable skills from home DIY. Although houses and boats both have breaker panels, boats use them as often as switches, not just circuit protection, at least for DC. Case in point: I discovered that the breaker for my thruster did nothing – thruster would work whether or not breaker was on/off (same for Windlass breaker). It had not been wired to the solenoid that carries the load.

SlowGoesit – I cannot imagine four pots of coffee. Makes me want to grab the sports’ section and take a walk. I worked with a guy who drank coffee all day long – even the crusty motor-oil burned to the bottom of the pot at 4PM. He had worn a path from his desk, to the break room, and to the bathroom.

Seems odd to say, but I really appreciate the good wishes. I go between ‘light at end of tunnel’ and being bummed-out. I turned 62 last week. Only the second time in 26 years I haven’t been with other half and I miss her.

PICTURES:

1. Places I've rafted -
View attachment 136184
View attachment 136187

2. Generator. For some reason, the new NL 6kw isn't making full voltage. There's a lost-in-translation moment here, and I'm about to halt work since I have a friend who can assist in San Diego.
View attachment 136186

3. Lewmar Hatch - still leaks. There were only two places it could leak - the hinge connections through the lens; or the sealant around the lens to the bezel. The yard put tape around the outer perimeter before a rain to isolate the leak. Incredibly, Lewmar states its nearly impossible to successfully re-seal the lens due to how it's manufactured which is incredible to me - makes them truly disposable. They have agreed to send me an entire new 'lid' section which they felt was kind given it's out-of-warranty. Note to self: buy nothing from Lewmar. How the hell can a hatch have planned-obsolescence built into it?
View attachment 136185

The best advice I got for this stage of a boat is to be patient, and to always be part of the team solving the problem, not an adversary on the other side of the table. All this will pass, and you will end up with a great boat.

I think you naturally take this path, so hang in there. It will get done.

Ok, now that you said you like your bow thruster, I will be waiting for the ones that say you should just learn how to handle the boat instead…

Ok, now that you said you like your bow thruster, I will be waiting for the ones that say you should just learn how to handle the boat instead…

Thanks for calling this out Comodave. This may sound arrogant, but my close-quarter experience is probably in the >90th percentile for recreational boaters (not commercial fishermen). All I can tell you is I find a thruster helpful and stress-reducing. Anyone who says otherwise is just being a contrarian or hasn't been in tight spots. Or is pretty good at repairing fiberglass.

In short, a thruster is not a crutch, it's an enabler. Whether you're a beginner or experienced, allows you to do things you could not otherwise do.

Peter

I watched a boat about 45' back into a berth as smooth as silk, the captain was standing in the cockpit operating a joy stick. This younger generation years of playing games now operate boats and drones.
Peter have you got a joystick yet controlling the engine and thruster.

The best advice I got for this stage of a boat is to be patient, and to always be part of the team solving the problem, not an adversary on the other side of the table. All this will pass, and you will end up with a great boat.

I think you naturally take this path, so hang in there. It will get done.

Thanks for this. I've thought of you often - a multi-million dollar boat has enormous systems that take forever to work through, even from an experienced builder such as PAE and their sub-contractors.

Sidebar story. I had a pretty lofty bill rate when I was consulting - rivaled many attorneys. I used to say I'd do anyting to get the job done - used to use an example that I would fix the copy machine if that's what it took (an early job of mine was at a predecessor to Kinkos).

So I'm at my client's office late one evening. One of the execs shows up and is in a tizzy. They had sent some extremely sensitive material to the printer and it didn't print. They were worried that in the morning it would somehow start printing. She asked if I knew anything about copy/MFD machines which I just happened to know. And I made good on my promise to do whatever it took --- even fix the copy machine!

I firmly believe that there's a point where people stop working for money - something else motivates them. I really need Team Weebles to want to succeed, not just earn a living. I think I'm about 80% there.

Peter

I watched a boat about 45' back into a berth as smooth as silk, the captain was standing in the cockpit operating a joy stick. This younger generation years of playing games now operate boats and drones.
Peter have you got a joystick yet controlling the engine and thruster.

I have old-school morse controls, one gear; one throtte. Part of my learning curve recently has been to relearn which is which, which frankly is a bit embarrasing to admit (but I suspect its pretty normal, just few admit). My thruster is a L/R button control. Not as intuitive as a joystick and I don't remember why I opted for the buttons vs joystick.

I love driving big heavy boats. It's such a slow-motion affair. Especially single-handed, you have all the time in the world to ease in. On the other hand, give me a 21-foot outboard boat and I look just awful.

Only one thing looks better than a totally composed guy at the helm of a boat; and that's a totally composed gal. Only way it gets better is if she tucks her hair into a ponytail and hops in an old Ford F250 with four-speed and a rifle rack in the back window.

Peter

We put thrusters on our current boat. My wife will not go up onto the bow of this boat, so thrusters enable us to operate it with her in the cockpit instead of the bow. And they will enable us to operate the boat for more years than without them. I taught boat handling for the CG for almost 30 years so I too know how to handle a boat but as we age we just aren’t as agile as we used to be.

We put thrusters on our current boat. My wife will not go up onto the bow of this boat, so thrusters enable us to operate it with her in the cockpit instead of the bow. And they will enable us to operate the boat for more years than without them. I taught boat handling for the CG for almost 30 years so I too know how to handle a boat but as we age we just aren’t as agile as we used to be.

Is it possible we're just old Silverbacks with nothing left to prove?

Queue RT Firefly......

Peter Screenshot_20230217_222041_DuckDuckGo~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom