Considering a Charter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bradkap

We are considering chartering a boat to explore the San Juan’s
2 couples; one week.
Any thoughts or recommendations on a reputable charter service ?

Out of Bellingham, NW Explorations is good and has mostly Grand Banks. San Juan Sailing has a few power boats. There are also charter operations in Anacortes.

What type of boat are you looking to charter? I've used Crown and Ship Harbor.

We've only used two charter companies for the San Juans, but for what it's worth: We used San Juan Sailing in Bellingham three times. Had a good experience every time. Misty Blue Yonder, a Jeanneau 45. We chartered sailboats each time, not power, but they do have a power fleet. We also used Nanaimo Yacht Charters, good experience there too, but of course that's over the border. We did have a fun time with the float plane hops in and out from the airport in Vancouver, that was a treat and didn't cost much more. They have power boats also, although we chartered the Belle Serena, a Beneteau 50. Different starting location than Bellingham of course, but it gets you "in the neighborhood." As I recall Nanaimo Charters was very concerned about whacking the boat on rocks though, they even pull every boat after the charter and inspect the bottoms. Getting in and out of their marina was kind of tight, San Juan Sailing was a lot easier. If you look at the maps you'll see why.

This was all pre-COVID though, so things may have changed since then.

I’ve used Anacortes Yacht Charters. Good mix of power models from small to not so small. Their rates are expressed as daily and there is a discount for nine nights or more. I’ve yet to find a squawk free boat but nothing major and they respond quickly so long as you are in the San Juans. We plan on using them again soon.

Attachments

• Kohala-Additional-Images-5.jpg
    Kohala-Additional-Images-5.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom