Comments on a 9.8HP 4 stroke Kubota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foggysail

Guru
Vessel Make
1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Last season I spun my 8HP Mercury 2 stroke impellor and heat tested the engine. The ignition switch box got hot enough to melt the plastic and yes, there is no spark. I intend to try fixing the Merc and at the same time I want a new outboard. Life is too short to screw around with older engines.

Yes, the 9.9HP offers fuel injection vs carburetors on the 9.8. They sell for about the same price but along with all the bennies the 9.9 offers, it also offers about 14 extra pounds. Carburetors have worked for over a hundred years so I do not mind simplicity over lugging 14 extra pounds. If I was 18 or 19 it would then be a no brainer. I am lucky to be on the right side of the grass without trying to become a weight lifter.

I just ordered an outboard motor carrying rig from Ebay (about $125 or so delivered) Along with my davit crane moving an engine around is going to be much easier for me. So please, I would rather read about Kubota's potential AWE SHUCKS now rather than after the weekend when I may have already purchased one. Comments please---

Last season I spun my 8HP Mercury 2 stroke impellor and heat tested the engine. The ignition switch box got hot enough to melt the plastic and yes, there is no spark. I intend to try fixing the Merc and at the same time I want a new outboard. Life is too short to screw around with older engines.

Yes, the 9.9HP offers fuel injection vs carburetors on the 9.8. They sell for about the same price but along with all the bennies the 9.9 offers, it also offers about 14 extra pounds. Carburetors have worked for over a hundred years so I do not mind simplicity over lugging 14 extra pounds. If I was 18 or 19 it would then be a no brainer. I am lucky to be on the right side of the grass without trying to become a weight lifter.

I just ordered an outboard motor carrying rig from Ebay (about $125 or so delivered) Along with my davit crane moving an engine around is going to be much easier for me. So please, I would rather read about Kubota's potential AWE SHUCKS now rather than after the weekend when I may have already purchased one. Comments please---

I'm really confused. You seem to be comparing two possible new motors; a 9.9hp fuel injected, and a 9.8hp cab model. But what brand? Not Kubota. And does Kubota really fit in anywhere, or is that just brand confusion?

As for a carb vs FI model, I would take the FI in an instant. In fact, I'd be hesitant to buy any gas motor these days that isn't FI. That, all because of fuel decay in the presence of air. In an FI system, the fuel is sealed off from air so the fuel lasts much longer before going to crap. With a carb the fuel is exposed to air and goes to crap in about 2 seconds.

I'm really confused. You seem to be comparing two possible new motors; a 9.9hp fuel injected, and a 9.8hp cab model. But what brand? Not Kubota. And does Kubota really fit in anywhere, or is that just brand confusion?

As for a carb vs FI model, I would take the FI in an instant. In fact, I'd be hesitant to buy any gas motor these days that isn't FI. That, all because of fuel decay in the presence of air. In an FI system, the fuel is sealed off from air so the fuel lasts much longer before going to crap. With a carb the fuel is exposed to air and goes to crap in about 2 seconds.

Sorry if my post was confusing. I made a statement there implying/telling the fuel injection motor offered a fuel injection feature but that feature came with 14 pounds of additional weight that I objected to.

In any case, I just purchased the 9.8.

Sorry if my post was confusing. I made a statement there implying/telling the fuel injection motor offered a fuel injection feature but that feature came with 14 pounds of additional weight that I objected to.

In any case, I just purchased the 9.8.

What 2 brands are you comparing? I never knew Kubota to make an outboard engine. New outboard offering?

Darn! I was hoping Kubota did make an OB I didn't know about. Loved the Kube 21hp I had on the sailboat. If they made an OB I'd probably buy one. I did buy a 3.5hp Mercury which was made by Tohatsu. POS, never did run right and I returned it. Fortunately the dealer gave me full credit on a used Mariner 4hp two stroke.

How about you post of link to the motor in question so we all know.

Thanks!!

Gees guys, I have no clue what was on my mind when typing my original posts. Kubota??? And a stuck by it. Of course not, the engine is a Tohatsu. I think what may have happened is that I misspelled Tohatsu and maybe the always on spell check came up with Kubota or did I just plainly screw up??? My most humble apologies!!!!

Let’s move on and later I will report back telling my then opinion of my new purchase. Gees…. going to a long time getting over this screw up

I have a Suzuki 9.9 4 stroke fuel injected. Starts 1st time every time unless I give it an awkward pull. Down side is it is heavy and you need a reasonably strong arm. Although my 120 lb wife can start it.

Last edited:
I have Suzuki outboards and love the fuel injection. These motors will sit all winter and start instantly. Only way to go.

We bought a 20 HP Tohatsu this year and love it. The 20 is the same weight as the 9.9 and 15.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom