Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday we celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary with twenty-three wonderful friends in Alba, Italy. At the end of an amazing meal, the waiters brought out a cake that our friends had made to surprise us.

28403-albums1128-picture8004.jpeg

Congratulations Doug and Patti. Look forward to meeting you at the Point Hudson Helmsman rendezvous on Friday.

Yesterday we celebrated our seventh wedding anniversary with twenty-three wonderful friends in Alba, Italy. At the end of an amazing meal, the waiters brought out a cake that our friends had made to surprise us.

Congratulations you you both!

I think the seven year itch should always be scratched with a new Helmsman!

Wonderful cake! Nice to have good friends to celebrate good things. Especially a bunch of them! See you at the Rendezvous.
La tua barca è adorabile e anche tu. Godere!

(thank you Google)

I get that life--and the pain and suffering of air travel--gets in the way. Eventually, given how few of these boats are out there, we all will meet up. I hope to be on the way to southeast Alaska for next year's rendezvous if life does not get in the way.

I personally love the emerging idea of shipping a Helmsman to Europe for cruising.

Greg and Alison (We Are!), it will be great to see you and to participate in your excitement over your boat. And if we are at the family house in Martha's Vineyard next summer when you make your way there, let us know. You can borrow the car to mess around on the island. I recommend inner Tashmoo Pond as a very quiet anchorage.

Happy Mother's Day to the Helmsman Clan. Without mothers we would all be, in the words of Dr. Suess, a wasn't.

Jeff

Hi all

Actually it is Lake Tashmoo, I live around the corner from there. Watch out during the summer, the town of Vineyard Haven is implementing a anchor ban this year in Tashmoo. To many people from Cape Cod coming over and partying.

Bob

Bob’s right. Sorry! Lake Tashmoo. Always best to rely on local knowledge. And bummer about no anchoring. Another “tragedy of the commons” in boat world.

Another first-world problem. I can't anchor my yacht where I want to!

Bob’s right. Sorry! Lake Tashmoo. Always best to rely on local knowledge. And bummer about no anchoring. Another “tragedy of the commons” in boat world.

No big deal, just giving you a hard time[emoji51] look me up if you make it to the Vineyard this summer

Could one of the H38 owners help me out with a few measurements, please?

I need to order the name and hailing port decals for my H38, that arrives in about a month. I need to size it. What I am pondering is the fact the door to the swim platform comes into play. And either go small enough to fit without touching that door (unlikely), or, attempt to size it such that a gap between letters occurs at the crack of the door jam.

Either way, I need to get a grip on how wide and tall a space I'm working with.

The dimensions I need:
> Width of transom, side to side
> Width of port corner to door jam
> Width of the door itself
> Height of the transom from swim platform up to the bottom of the rub rail.
> Width between the two hawse cleats.

Any help and / or guidance appreciated.

Could one of the H38 owners help me out with a few measurements, please?

I need to order the name and hailing port decals for my H38, that arrives in about a month. I need to size it. What I am pondering is the fact the door to the swim platform comes into play. And either go small enough to fit without touching that door (unlikely), or, attempt to size it such that a gap between letters occurs at the crack of the door jam.

Either way, I need to get a grip on how wide and tall a space I'm working with.

The dimensions I need:
> Width of transom, side to side
> Width of port corner to door jam
> Width of the door itself
> Height of the transom from swim platform up to the bottom of the rub rail.
> Width between the two hawse cleats.

Any help and / or guidance appreciated.

I will be back at the boat Friday afternoon if you don’t get the measurements by then. We will be taking her on a 140 mile trip up through the river system, and AIS should be able to get you some measurements when we stop over for the evening.

Just as reference point, my boat is "Blue Moon" with the last "n" on the transom door. Looks fine and when applying, the decal can be moved to make it fit as long as there is sufficient spacing between letters. One thing we never thought of is that with the door open, our boat is now Blue Moo. Something to think about...

And don't get me started on the cow jokes!

I don't have the 38E transom dimensions anymore, but here is what Margaux Marine Graphics designed for the stern lettering when we commissioned our 38E. The outline of the transom door is show. Margaux can help with font size and placement of your 38E's name and home port.

Attachments

• kiskadee.jpg
    kiskadee.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 16
Want to confirm what Robert just sent. When Kiskadee became Off Leash, Margaux handled everything and got it just right.
We arrived on the boat this evening. Will send dimensions tomorrow. But this is the third boat we have used her for. She know her transoms.

Thanks to all. Its appreciated

> Width of transom, side to side: 149 3/4”
> Width of port corner to door jam: 31 1/2”
> Width of the door itself: 17 3/4”
> Height of the transom from swim platform up to the bottom of the rub rail: 31”
> Width between the two hawse cleats. 109 1/2”

Remember, these are straight line distances. The transom has a gentle curve to it.

Thanks for the measurements.
I'll be at the Rendezvous tomorrow afternoon, and I'll look forward to meeting you.

> Width of transom, side to side: 149 3/4”
> Width of port corner to door jam: 31 1/2”
> Width of the door itself: 17 3/4”
> Height of the transom from swim platform up to the bottom of the rub rail: 31”
> Width between the two hawse cleats. 109 1/2”

Remember, these are straight line distances. The transom has a gentle curve to it.

BIG thanks!

So just to share the math with anyone else using these dimensions later, if you want to center the name but have it end just inside the edge of the door jam, you have approximately 52 inches of width to work with. That's rounding some fractions. I'd think you could push it all to the left / port by a fraction without that being noticeable. Just as, if you choose to have it go into the door space you could shift it a bit to have the door crack split between two letters.

Not sure if this helps, but this is the one Margaux did for us:

Off Leash.jpg

Thanks guys. Both look great

The name is Resilient. As many characters as Helmsman’s boat but absent the space between words.

Pretty sure I’ll end up with an overlap.

And, my wife wants a font effect the simple cheap Boat US site can’t do. Letters in all cap, but first letter larger.

So I think I may reach out to Margaux and let her figure it out. Helmsman, I think you said you used her too?

Nothing is ever as easy as you start out thinking it will be. It’s a boat.

Thanks guys. Both look great

The name is Resilient. As many characters as Helmsman’s boat but absent the space between words.

Pretty sure I’ll end up with an overlap.

And, my wife wants a font effect the simple cheap Boat US site can’t do. Letters in all cap, but first letter larger.

So I think I may reach out to Margaux and let her figure it out. Helmsman, I think you said you used her too?

Nothing is ever as easy as you start out thinking it will be. It’s a boat.

No we didnt. Our boat was in Mississippi and we used a recommended local couple who order and apply boat names and registration numbers. Paid them $300 if I remember correctly.

Thanks.

Weeks ago I was also given a contact in MD, but about 4 hours away from my marina.

Reach out to Helmsman43 on this site. He found someone in Baltimore and they did a super nice job on his.

I thought his guy was near Deale, hence the 4 hours away comment

Thanks for clearing that up. Baltimore, depending on where, is an hour.

I thought his guy was near Deale, hence the 4 hours away comment

Thanks for clearing that up. Baltimore, depending on where, is an hour.

I think you are right. It was completed in Deltaville. Sorry about that!

Back
Top Bottom