Anchor rode/bridal/snubber?Proper placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BruceK writes: “First,thank you for your polite persistence pressing your analysis to benefit fellow members.
In the climate of discussing kellets, do you have a view about the Anchor Buddy? Anchor Buddy - anchor weights made in New Zealand A proven anchor sentinel / kellet anchoring system . Not a kellet in the conventional sense of weight dampening the rode, the AB weight attaches to and slides down the rode, to be positioned just above the seafloor. Making for a vertical rode between it and the boat, and a horizontal rode along the seafloor to the anchor, leading to a lateral pull on the anchor.

I see tide as an issue to its working, it would change the position of the AB relative to the sea floor, and perhaps interfere with reset after tide reversals.”

Bruce, I watched this video before and was intrigued. I asked some of my “go to buddies” about it and there were mixed opinions. Some said if one wants more weight, get a bigger anchor! However I don’t believe a bigger anchor addresses what this device is primarily designed to do: lower that angle of the shank to seabed floor to maximize a horizontal pull when under stress. On a heavy blow, the centenary will still come up therefore increasing that angle but the added weight of this Anchor Buddy makes it harder to lose the catenary effect. I think key is keeping it off the seabed floor. They mention that but perhaps more important than one might realize.

Not sure it is needed as much for someone with all chain. Probably more dramatic effect when used with shorter chain with nylon rode or all nylon rode.

Would love to hear from someone who has used it who is not affiliated with the company.

Steve

I don't know much but seems to me that someone needs to introduce the term "apparent scope" to this discussion. Much like wind and apparent wind. Wind is wind. Apparent wind depends on a variable. Scope is scope. How many feet of rode / depth + height of attachment. Apparent scope would bring in angle of sea bed, snubber attachement, etc. into account. No?

I like this Mantus Bridle set up. For the money it’s a good deal. Dosnt change the scope but may help decrease rode angle in light and moderate wind and current/tide situations.

https://youtu.be/FA_wNBqTYAA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom