5-1/2' King Starboard Storage Chocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn’t hire anyone to build them, just DIY. They would be quite simple to make.

Yes, Starboard isn’t cheap anymore, not that it ever was.

Being that basic, they are far from the best option for many hull shapes.

Some dinks may fit perfectly, some you may have to mount without being parallel, and some dinks will just never fit right.

Can starboard hold up to the abuse? Yes. Is the design adequate for the intent? Yes. Will this design work for your needs? Don’t know. Is the price fair? Depends. If you already own the tools and you have the time then no. If you live on your boat, do not have the tools and would need to drive 1 hour to find the material and another hour to rent a shop you might find this a reasonably price.

I built something similar for my 800 lb dingy and it has worked very well for me. At the time I built it a 1/2” 4x8 sheet of starboard was $150 and I had to drive 1.5 hours to get it. I did not need to rent a shop but at a minimum I spent $200 not counting my time.

I have a set on my boat. They have been on the boat for over 10 years. The only thing I had to add was a V shaped chock to the front of the dinghy so I could strap it down better. The pro's and con's are the same. The dinghy will slide on the chocks real easy to position the boat unlike rubber chocks, but also because of the slickness, the dinghy needs to be secured to the deck.

I've been a boat / house carpenter all my life. I can't imagine being able to make "... a set for a fraction of that cost out of wood...".

Nor do I see them as "... quite simple to make...".

Designing, deciding on/finding/picking up materials, fabrication, etc. - there's much more work there than meets the eye.

If they fit, both your boat and your dinghy, unless I'm missing something, I think they would be very cost effective.

I have experienced both longitudinal supports as per the OPs photo as well as lateral V shaped supports. IMO the lateral option is more flexible in terms of catering to different dinghies as well as involving a lot less material to manufacture.

Here is my current set-up which supports a 14' heavy Rendova RIB with a 50 HP outboard. Picture was taken after refinishing the wood, and not shown is the rubber-like innertube material that is wrapped around the working surface of the wood and screwed in place on either side to provide friction. Also not shown are the Folding D padeyes that are used to secure dinghy at bow and stern.

The smaller brackets in starboard are to secure my lifting beam.

4000-albums1033-picture7536.jpg

+1 for the soft chocks. Easily removable and support my 10.5’ dinghy with 20hp motor. Easily removable to use the deck space.

I have experienced both longitudinal supports as per the OPs photo as well as lateral V shaped supports. IMO the lateral option is more flexible in terms of catering to different dinghies as well as involving a lot less material to manufacture.

Here is my current set-up which supports a 14' heavy Rendova RIB with a 50 HP outboard. Picture was taken after refinishing the wood, and not shown is the rubber-like innertube material that is wrapped around the working surface of the wood and screwed in place on either side to provide friction. Also not shown are the Folding D padeyes that are used to secure dinghy at bow and stern.

The smaller brackets in starboard are to secure my lifting beam.

4000-albums1033-picture7536.jpg

P.S. These were on the boat when I bought it and since they are wood they will need refinishing occasionally. If I were starting afresh I would use several blocks of 3/4 or 1" starboard laminated together for the vertical element, glued and screwed to a base of the same material. No maintenance needed just an annual pressure wash.

Older thread - I'm finally getting dinghy set. I made the chocks from. GPO3 material. Nick Jackson pipe davit with Andersen 18 sailboat winch for mechanical benefit. Dewalt cordless will power. 20221208_094646.jpg

Back
Top Bottom