43 DeFever electrical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
Just bought a 1980 43 DeFever. Circuits on the 12v panel dropped to 4v. Tried to trace panel feed wire to source to check for loose connection. Followed it from panel to where it entered the wall to the right of the wheel in the wheel house. Unable to find where it goes from there. Only battery banks are each engine and generator. Can’t find a connection there. It’s about a #2. Anyone with a Defever know where this panel is feed from?

Oh yeah, I’m trying to get things working so wife and I can make the trip home. Thanks

Sorry if a stupid question but what is the voltage right at the battery? If there is no big electrical load I would think if a bad connection between Batts and panel you would likely still measure 12 volts at the panel (or zero volts). Dropping 8+ volts seems strange to me.

I measured voltage on all batteries, 13-14v. That’s why I’m trying so hard to find the source feeding the panel.

Start at the batteries and measure the voltage on the battery posts. Then go to the connector attached to the battery and see if the voltage is the same, it should be or else the connector or connection is suspect. Then proceed down the cable checking for bad connectors or connections.

you might try disconnecting each battery, one at a time to help figure out what battery is delivering the house loads. then you can just follow the cable. there should be some kind of circuit protection for that #2 wire, shouldn't be that difficult to find, just not when you're in a hurry.
also if you have those big surface mount 1-2-all switches the feed your looking for could be behind it.

Don’t know about the 43, but on our 44, the 12-V panels are fed from a distribution panel in the ER on the other side of the forward bulkhead. The backs of all the main electrical panels are accessed by removing a section of wall inside the fwd berth locker and removing a cabinet mounted over the ER access hatch. All much easier to do than describe. Hope that’s not useless info.

Back
Top Bottom