390 cabinet doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

We want to put doors on the original location of the tv, an icemaker hole (enlarged door space next to fridge) and replace the coffee maker with a door.

Has anyone matched up the wood used? What would it be? Source?

--kevin

You can probably finish whatever wood to look close to what is there depending on how you color match the stain. Just pick a wood you like and do some test staining.

Don't know about the 390s but I've built shelves for my 2008 34 HT using cherry and matched the color very well. 34T/HT has synthetic panels w cherry wood trim & cabinets.

Problem with getting a few pieces of wood and finishing with a variety of finishes to find the right combination is:

1) cost
2) time
3) no shop to work in
4) currently 16degF here
5) im colorblind.

So, I'm hoping to benefit from others actual experience with the 390 cabinetry. Thanks Bacchus for the cherry suggestion. I may just need to hire a cabinetmaker to get this done.

--Kevin

Save the hinges. I had one break and couldn’t find replacement.

I faced the same issue with our 390, and decided to use black acrylic sheet bonded to plywood for the doors, instead of fussing with stain colors. This matches the stove front, and gives the salon an updated look. A lot of people have commented on how it freshened up the interior.

Problem with getting a few pieces of wood and finishing with a variety of finishes to find the right combination is:

1) cost
2) time
3) no shop to work in
4) currently 16degF here
5) im colorblind.

So, I'm hoping to benefit from others actual experience with the 390 cabinetry. Thanks Bacchus for the cherry suggestion. I may just need to hire a cabinetmaker to get this done.

--Kevin

That sounds like a good approach - just take an existing drawer / door to a cabinet shop and ask him if he can match reasonable well. You can get a friend / relative to judge any trial / samples as to degree of match.

I faced the same issue with our 390, and decided to use black acrylic sheet bonded to plywood for the doors, instead of fussing with stain colors. This matches the stove front, and gives the salon an updated look. A lot of people have commented on how it freshened up the interior.

I like this idea to add a little contrast to all the wood. If my doors go bad I will consider this.:blush:

Look at Barker Doors. Google it. They are made in the USA and have a large variety of wood to work with…even sapalle which looks just like the afromosia teak. They are custom made to what you need and the quality is outstanding without the custom cost, but that said, they are not the cheapest out there. Yeah, Home Depot, etc. is cheaper, but the quality is nowhere near the match of Barker Cabinets/Barker Doors. No particle board or crap like that. If you’re shopping for cabinets, then, you’d look at the Barker Cabinet site. For just new doors, then Barker Door. When I gutted the galley on my Hatteras, I bought their cabinets because I wanted to match the afromosia teak that was all over the boat. I like it so much that I did my condo’s kitchen. I’ll do my next condo with those cabinets, too. They have a number of styles that I’m sure you can find a match for what you have. At Barker, you pick your style and wood separately to get that custom door you need. You can even select your hinge style to match what you’ve already got.

Last edited:
Look at Barker Doors. Google it. They are made in the USA and have a large variety of wood to work with…even sapalle which looks just like the afromosia teak. They are custom made to what you need and the quality is outstanding without the custom cost, but that said, they are not the cheapest out there. Yeah, Home Depot, etc. is cheaper, but the quality is nowhere near the match of Barker Cabinets/Barker Doors. No particle board or crap like that. If you’re shopping for cabinets, then, you’d look at the Barker Cabinet site. For just new doors, then Barker Door. When I gutted the galley on my Hatteras, I bought their cabinets because I wanted to match the afromosia teak that was all over the boat. I like it so much that I did my condo’s kitchen. I’ll do my next condo with those cabinets, too. They have a number of styles that I’m sure you can find a match for what you have. At Barker, you pick your style and wood separately to get that custom door you need. You can even select your hinge style to match what you’ve already got.

This is great specific info! I will look at it. Many thanks. ---kevin

Back
Top Bottom