Stern design and safety in following seas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralsy

Ahoi shipmates.
I've always wondered about some boats i see cruising along the east coast which have ginormous swim platforms attached and how they would be affected by a following sea?
A boat I've recently asked about in a different forum thread is a 50ft Halvorson displacement pilothouse trawler that has a rounded stern which has had a swim platform attached. Isn't the design thought behind a rounded stern on a displacement cruiser to improve or lessen the effects placed on the boat in a large following sea? I've attached some photos for a look see. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210414_042445.jpg
    20210414_042445.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210414_042507.jpg
    20210414_042507.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210414_042534.jpg
    20210414_042534.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210414_042553.jpg
    20210414_042553.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
Pure spit-balling zero credibility guess:

Me-thinks it wouldn't be an issue 97% of the time, but if conditions are bad enough that waves start using the swim step to push the vessel off its intended course, you'd wish it wasn't there.

Pure spit-balling zero credibility guess:

Me-thinks it wouldn't be an issue 97% of the time, but if conditions are bad enough that waves start using the swim step to push the vessel off its intended course, you'd wish it wasn't there.

Yeah in perfect conditions not a problem. Can't understand why you would do it if you have in mind blue water or coastal cruising where you may encounter large following seas especially since you're in a 8-9 knot max displacement cruiser.

Some water will go through the slots on the platform, reducing force. An overly long platform is more likely to hit the water and get pushed on. But if it's up high enough and not too long, it's unlikely to be an issue. The water should just be pushing on the hull below the platform.

Some water will go through the slots on the platform, reducing force. An overly long platform is more likely to hit the water and get pushed on. But if it's up high enough and not too long, it's unlikely to be an issue. The water should just be pushing on the hull below the platform.

Pictures would suggest that the platform is probably only about 1 ft or less above water line observed from waterline paint stripes?

Back
Top Bottom