Mold on V-berth mattress covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
We are replacing the foam in our V-berth mattresses and we're wondering if there are any suggestions for getting rid of mold spores on the covers. The material is a Sunbrella-like material. The covers and foam are about 15 years old.

Over the years we have taken steps to help alleviate the moist air in the V-berth that causes the problem, especially in the rain soaked SE AK., including adding a computer fan to help vent moist air out and foil backed bubble type insulation under the mattresses.

Thanks, Tator

I think you want to raise the mattress on a venting material. Insulation will make it worse. You give off plenty of moisture when you're tucked in and you want it gone, vented away not holding it in. Like sleeping on a plastic sheet is uncomfortable.

There’s stuff made for this problem. Can’t remember the name.

It looks like scotch bright ... the pads on your sink. But it’s about 3/4” thick and made to single bed size otherwise. We put them on our boat 15 years ago and problem gone.

Here is what worked for us under the mattress in the owner's cabin. First, we put down - cut to size with a pizza cutter wheel - 1/2 inch rigid foam insulation. Cost is about $12 for a 4' x 8' sheet. Then we added one-foot squares of interlocking Dridek which provided the airspace.

Are you using the Vberth during the cold season such as a live aboard?

For my v berth in a winterized boat I do the following:
-- raise the cushions on reused, cleaned plastic planters so they are up about 6".
It's a motley collection.
--Have a 75W heater on the cabin sole below the v berth platform so the platform itself is slightly warmed. It is the typical stove pipe type except with a 300W/240V circular heater band mounted on an aluminum tube, 1.5" diam., mounted so the tube base is about 1" up off the platform.

Rough sketch if you wish.

On the 120 V it produces about 75 W. It is surrounded by an old juice can which can be made with stove duct. I like this FAR better than the ubiquitous light bulb. It never gets hot enough to fry anything, the life is measured in years [it is over 15 yrs now],

--the cabin has several fans to force circulation in the cabin including one to blow air out into the salon. They are 120V , 10 or 11 watts each. BALL BEARING type muffin or computer type fans.

When I used to work in a different job, upholstery supplier, I sold what is called Horsehair that was used to lay cushions on to promote air circulation beneath cushions. It was about 3/4" thick but something similar may help.

One could arrange a fan to force some circulation through the horsehair.

Look up Practical Sailor for their reviews of anti mildew sprays OR their DIY mix which I use which will prevent the stuff from forming , at least usually.

Although where I live is maybe not as rainy as your location it is more than rainy enough to cause trouble if precautions are not taken.

B.C. Sunshine Coast, formerly it was the Raincoast.

Last edited:
To late I found the DIY mix I took from Practical Sailor. Post below.

Attachments

• The two homemade spray Mildew formulas we tested each cost about one penny per ounce.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom