Solve Burgee rattle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sledge

Vessel Make
American Tug 41
I'd assume many boats have the stainless circular clips that hold a burgee on a stainless flag rod. The issue is with wind and say you're overnight somewhere and you don't want to listen to that "burgee rattle" all night... wonder if someone has come up with an easy solution, perhaps a different fastener or other to reduce burgee whipping and rattling noise.....?

I'd assume many boats have the stainless circular clips that hold a burgee on a stainless flag rod. The issue is with wind and say you're overnight somewhere and you don't want to listen to that "burgee rattle" all night... wonder if someone has come up with an easy solution, perhaps a different fastener or other to reduce burgee whipping and rattling noise.....?

We have a burgee cover. You wrap the burgee around the pole and slip the cover over it and pull the fastener tight.

Amazon has them and they come in different colors, materials and lengths.

Plastic wire ties at the attachment points.

Plastic wire ties at the attachment points.

I use plastic wire ties at the attachment points, but still can hear the noise of the flag/mast at night. If it's a violent wind, however, I go topside and wrap the flag around the mast and fasten it with a heavy rubber band or two.

+1 on the burgee cover. Not a perfect solution cause you have to remember to take it off again before getting under way. :)

Same as everyone else so far...plastic zips ties to tighten the burgee up to the pole to reduce the rattling and a cover for when we are in home port. We got our canvas cover on etsy. I also use a piece of velcro to tie it up before the cover goes on.

-tozz

Thanks for the feedback. Yes sometimes even during daytime they can get noisy though i don't necessarily want to put a cover on it. Zip ties might help i'll try that.

I use the clips in the photo. Unfortunately I don’t know who made them. You drill 2 holes on the sides of the pole and then squeeze the clip together and put the hook ends into the 2 holes. If you space the holes outwards from the burgee holes they will hold the leading hoist edge of the burgee taut. And no noise at all.

Attachments

• E2594169-857E-43B5-9443-72D4A20AB686.jpg
    E2594169-857E-43B5-9443-72D4A20AB686.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 48
If you don’t like zip ties, research Lashing. You can do some very artistic lashings.

If you don’t like zip ties, research Lashing. You can do some very artistic lashings.

I made some very tiny Dyneema soft shackles with a knotted ball on one end.

Attachments

• 20190926_101947_copy_1612x907.jpg
    20190926_101947_copy_1612x907.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 48
Burgee rattle? Never heard it.

Attachments

• Petaluma entrance.jpg
    Petaluma entrance.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 46
We use the cover off of an umbrella.

Easy fix
Don't have a burgee.
Never had them or flags, no rattle and never need replacing
Money saved.

Easy fix
Don't have a burgee.
Never had them or flags, no rattle and never need replacing
Money saved.

I guess in your remote location, guest flags aren't something you need to deal with? Jaunt to New Guinea??

Yeah string or twine lashing not necessarily an option when you have a stainless steel rod with just sort of a ~ 1mm drill hole just large enough for the steel pin.... but yes there are some other options here. I do like to fly a burgee either to let people know where we're going or where we're from and also for the extra wind indicator.

Think outside the box. Stick a pin in the hole and lash the burgee to the SS pole & pin or enlarge the hole.

I guess in your remote location, guest flags aren't something you need to deal with? Jaunt to New Guinea??

Guest flag as in country and quarantine flag if travelling overseas?

Sure, but they would he on a rope between a back rail and shade structure and attached by rope.
Have travelled OS on several previous vessels, none had a pole or metal clips for flags.

Guest flag as in country and quarantine flag if travelling overseas?

Sure, but they would he on a rope between a back rail and shade structure and attached by rope.
Have travelled OS on several previous vessels, none had a pole or metal clips for flags.

You have ropes on boats down there? ;)

Think outside the box. Stick a pin in the hole and lash the burgee to the SS pole & pin or enlarge the hole.

Thanks but no, not practical to enlarge the hole.... but yes i can likely just use one circle pin on the upper and combine with some lashing....

IMG_0581.jpg

I think if you have a fixed burgee staff covering the burgee at sunset is your option. Our burgee and teak staff fits into a mount ( Perko rod holder )so we just remove the burgee at sunset. I have however made a trip up to the bow at night. This is a great reminder to take the burgee down for a good nights sleep.
Not having a burgee, for me it’s main purpose is a wind indicator when docking, underway or anchoring, I wouldn’t be without one.

Attachments

• 68D1EB14-279C-4AAD-98CA-804F81CCD4D8.jpg
    68D1EB14-279C-4AAD-98CA-804F81CCD4D8.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Good thread! I have been tortured by "Burgee Rattle" for more years than I care to admit. Tried everything and nothing works as well as the metal circular rings. Rope? eventually wears out. Zip ties? just doesn't fly properly.

I use a cloth "Burgee Condom" that I put on at night, that works fine but during the day, on the hook or mooring if theres a strong breeze the noise is fierce. (and can interrupt my nap!).

If I had the money for R & D I would try and make rubber coated rings. The rings work the best, but they make a racket.

I have covers for my flags, but I fly mine for the same reason as mentioned above, wind etc.

At night I wrap the flag around its pole and wrap some velcro strap. Easy and cheap20201016_115622.jpeg20201016_115631.jpeg

Good thread! I have been tortured by "Burgee Rattle" for more years than I care to admit. Tried everything and nothing works as well as the metal circular rings. Rope? eventually wears out. Zip ties? just doesn't fly properly.

I use a cloth "Burgee Condom" that I put on at night, that works fine but during the day, on the hook or mooring if theres a strong breeze the noise is fierce. (and can interrupt my nap!).

If I had the money for R & D I would try and make rubber coated rings. The rings work the best, but they make a racket.

If you want to try zip ties again, just leave them loose. About the same diameter as the circular SS ring you would otherwise use. The burgee will fly right and not rattle.

I always use one or two of the admirals hair ties. They live at the bottom of the burger pole. Just wrap the burgee around the pole and slip a hair tie over it.or use a rubber band. Hair ties last longer.

I tie a small line around the rolled burgee. When you want to display the burgee then just slide the circular loop down. When need again just re-roll the burgee around the post and slide the loop over the roll.

Burgee rattle

Most chandleries have a bucket that holds velcro straps. Various colors.

We wrap the flag around the pole and then use the strap to hold it.

We have an aft MSR so we deal with the US flag, the bow burgee doesn't seem to bother us.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom