89 carver Californian 48 water leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well my water intrusion mystery is finally solved in case anyone is interested.
I knew I had a little seepage from my starboard side rudder shaft, but you could see it enter a limber hole in the stringer in the aft of the boat and there was a straight shot through to the aft sump. There is a sump pump in the aft but hardly no water ever accumulates there so I thought, the rudder wasn't leaking much.
As it turns out, the stringer is hollow. The water from the rudder shaft, entered the limber hole and was running forward in the hollow stringer evidently to another limber hole midship accumulating under the mid cabin where the centerline fuel tank is in a sealed tub area. I guess to capture the fuel in case of a tank rupture. To find the leak, I poured colored water where the rudder shaft was seeping and it showed up under my mid-cabin. Tightened the rudder shaft, problem solved. Thanks everyone for your input. I hope this may help someone else. I did not know the stringer was hollow and I had no idea it could travel forward like it did. Thanks, Charlie

I assumed that the water that accumulated in bilge that contains the centerline fuel tank came from leaky fresh water tanks which are above it under the aft bed. Aquarius is a bit bow heavy so you can't see the water by looking in the access port under the bed. My mid fuel tank rotted out from sitting in water. We only found the water/fuel there when we had the boat out on the hard. Maybe it was from a rudder post leak instead of the water tank. I'll need to check that out to be sure more water is not accumulating.

In my case, I dismissed the rudder as a source because there was a limber hole right there and you could look under the bed and see a very small amount in the bilge. I dismissed it because in my mind it could not get to the midship problem. My centerline tank is actually two narrow long tanks that run from under the aft bed forward to under the washer and dryer. They are joined together at the bottom of each of them via fuel line to equalize the fuel. If yours is like mine, in the bottom of the tv closet is a small hatch that you can see the bottom of the boat and the fuel line connections. I was looking for the source of an odor and found the water. Not knowing that the tanks was sitting in the tub for fuel rupture safety, I couldn't figure out why that water did not run to the aft sump pump. Now I know. Take some blue windshield washer fluid or colored RV antifreeze and pour in at the rudder on one side at a time and see where it ends up. It may surprise you and end up under the TV closet. Reach out to me anytime you have a question that I may help you with. I have been chasing this water leak 4 years. I have found and fixed water leaks along the way that I thought was my problem, which was a problem but not that one. I am going to the boat today to add bilge cleaner and water, take her out to let it slosh around then pump her dry hopefully for the last time. I have been using a drill operated pump to keep that area pumped out, if I didn't I would get the odor back. Your fresh water tank may be ok. Pour some colored water in and watch it.

In my case, I dismissed the rudder as a source because there was a limber hole right there and you could look under the bed and see a very small amount in the bilge. I dismissed it because in my mind it could not get to the midship problem. My centerline tank is actually two narrow long tanks that run from under the aft bed forward to under the washer and dryer. They are joined together at the bottom of each of them via fuel line to equalize the fuel. If yours is like mine, in the bottom of the tv closet is a small hatch that you can see the bottom of the boat and the fuel line connections. I was looking for the source of an odor and found the water. Not knowing that the tanks was sitting in the tub for fuel rupture safety, I couldn't figure out why that water did not run to the aft sump pump. Now I know. Take some blue windshield washer fluid or colored RV antifreeze and pour in at the rudder on one side at a time and see where it ends up. It may surprise you and end up under the TV closet. Reach out to me anytime you have a question that I may help you with. I have been chasing this water leak 4 years. I have found and fixed water leaks along the way that I thought was my problem, which was a problem but not that one. I am going to the boat today to add bilge cleaner and water, take her out to let it slosh around then pump her dry hopefully for the last time. I have been using a drill operated pump to keep that area pumped out, if I didn't I would get the odor back. Your fresh water tank may be ok. Pour some colored water in and watch it.

My fresh water tank was replaced just before I bought the boat.

I am happy to report, after pouring bilge cleaner in and flooding the bilge with fresh water several times to clean it, my odor is gone and my leak is fixed. The area remains dry. I will in the future, check the rudder shafts often. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions during my post.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom