New Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We got our current memory foam mattress from Amazon and are very satisfied with it. Actually by the time Amazon fixed the delivery issues they ended up giving me the mattress for free. That made me even more satisfied with it.

re: foam mattresses,
Is there a difference in foam mattresses built for marine environment versus for houses on land?
Maybe a difference in type of foam that does not retain water?
Kayakeur, surfing the wake.

Yep, the marine version costs twice as much

LOL there you have it!!!! We so far are loving our Leeza mattress....:thumb:

Check the descriptions and the reviews for the actual firmness of the mattress. One makers medium can be harder than anothers firm.
Ours was labled Ultra Plush, but the reviews led me to believe the firmness was about medium, which it was. Our bed platform tapers to the foot, and is shorter than standard. A bread knife dealt with that, and the stretchy cover makes it look like it was made that way. We love it.

S N A K E O I L !
That's my general opinion on the mattress industry.

Our boat came with quite firm foam (non-memory) upholstered mattresses. From the very beginning, I had always presumed we would find something better and replace them. That has turned out to not be necessary, fortunately, as we find we sleep quite well on them. Since we like a cool sleeping area, we have a heated mattress pad under the regular mattress pad. For cool nights, we simply turn on the mattress pad 20 minutes before retiring in order to pre-heat the mattress. Yes - the mattress pad runs on AC, but they are very low wattage and barely put a noticeable load on the inverter.

Since you are in the PNW, a heated mattress pad might be a nice touch for you.

If you go the "memory foam" route for your mattress, I have a comment. We have in our home a Tempur memory-foam mattress that's still going strong after 18 years. We like it a LOT...with one exception - it can get seemingly rock-hard if you keep your bedroom at, perhaps 60-63 degrees during the cool seasons. In this case, you climb into the bed and await for the "slab" of a mattress to warm up a bit with your body heat (about 15 mins). Then it becomes more flexible. To address this, we use a heated mattress pad connected to a timer so the mattress goes on "pre-heat" automatically every night. The timer then shuts the mattress off after we've been in bed for 1-2 hours, as it can be unpleasant sleeping all night with it on (dry mouth, too warm, headache (magnetic field??)).

One can buy hand-made horse-hair beds here in Sweden, if one is prepared to take out a mortgage for a $50k mattress & spring set. Yikes! Snake Oil on steroids!

Last edited:
Before we bought a Lezza we tried it out along with others before our purchase.

I bought a memory foam mattress. After a year or so I started to bottom out on it. So I then bought an Acme pocketed coil spring (ala Beauty Rest style) mattress. I bought it from comfortcustombedding.com in Fort Lauderdale. This mattress is more comfortable than the one I sleep on at home. It’s “hinged” in the middle, so it’s a snap to get in the cabin. I am one very satisfied customer.
As a matter of fact, I am thinking of getting two for the twin beds in my Airstream travel trailer.

Last edited:
With respect, your experience is not very useful. You don't say how thick it was, type of foam or the relative stress on the mattress by the user. We have had a seven-inch foam mattress for four years that is as good as it was out of the box. Plus, we got it from a company that custom cuts to the customer's dimensions. No need to butcher a Costco mattress with a bread knife.
I bought a memory foam mattress. After a year or so I started to bottom out on it. So I then bought an Acme pocketed coil spring (ala Beauty Rest style) mattress. I bought it from comfortcustombedding.com in Fort Lauderdale. This mattress is more comfortable than the one I sleep on at home. It’s “hinged” in the middle, so it’s a snap to get in the cabin. I am one very satisfied customer.
As a matter of fact, I am thinking of getting two for the twin beds in my Airstream travel trailer.

With respect, your experience is not very useful. You don't say how thick it was, type of foam or the relative stress on the mattress by the user. We have had a seven-inch foam mattress for four years that is as good as it was out of the box. Plus, we got it from a company that custom cuts to the customer's dimensions. No need to butcher a Costco mattress with a bread knife.

With respect, I suggest that you contact Comfort Custom Mattress Co. in Fort Lauderdale. They will make you any kind of custom mattress that you want. For your information, my mattress is a custom cut, 9” thick. The only foam that’s in it is in the topper.

The reason I commented as I did on your posting was that it seemed, to me, that it was suggestive that memory foam was not good, at least for you in that you said it lasted only one year. Anyway, I do not need a new mattress from Comfort Custom although thank you for the reference. As I said, we already have a foam mattress with which we are very happy and it was custom cut to our specification. Apparently, you are happy with your mattress but I did not get that impression from your posting.
With respect, I suggest that you contact Comfort Custom Mattress Co. in Fort Lauderdale. They will make you any kind of custom mattress that you want. For your information, my mattress is a custom cut, 9” thick. The only foam that’s in it is in the topper.

Back
Top Bottom